Devinci Troy 27.5 Full Suspension

Submitted by Zach Wagner a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2014

Strengths:    Reasonably light for a full suss, 27.5 bike, solid descender, incredible drive train, beautiful frame, good parts spec for the price, solid climber with help from Fox CTD tech, good wheelset, good tires (if you like the hans dampf), best dropper seat post there is (if you like dropper posts), sublime cable routing

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter for a 27.5 full suss bike (especially with such a simplistic drive train), bar awesome looking but too wide (for my taste), tires heavy and slow rolling (if you don't like the hans dampf, which I didn't really), dropper post adds a decent amount of unnecessary (in my opinion and for my riding) weight

Bottom Line:
Review is for the Devinici Troy RR Carbon version

When I first saw the Troy, my jaw about hit the floor. While opinions will of course differ, I find it to be one of the most beautifully crafted bike frames available. Beautiful lines, just the right curves, fabulous cable routing, amazingly awesome and simple drive train, Kashima coated fox shock and fork... it's a thing to behold to be sure.
I paid $6599 for mine, and I think for that price the parts spec is solid.

Elixir 9 brakes aren't top of the line, but they provide ample stopping power and don't seem to fade much.

The shock and fork are gorgeous, Kashima coated Fox CTD offerings, with 34 stanchions up front for that extra bit of stiffness (yes, you will notice it). They perform as they should, and seem to have good compression. I wouldn't call the fork the plushest thing on the planet (my Manitou Tower Pro on my 29er takes that honor), but it's solid and performs very well. I tried out the settings and pressure when I first got the bike, but after a few rides just started leaving it in Descend full time, which works well. The shock is very nice as well, and I love the CTD tech that Fox is now employing. Trail setting basically works for just about anything, and I don't find a reason to switch it to Climb under any circumstance. I like to have a bit of give on climbs, as it can help with obstacles. Descend is a little too soft for climbs in my opinion, because while the split pivot suspension system is quite good, it's not flawless, and you'll get some bob if your getting after it on climbs if you leave it in Descend.

The Easton Haven wheels are pretty great so far. They aren't the lightest wheels on the planet at around 1650/set, but they give a good compromise between stiffness and weight. They are nice looking as well, which doesn't hurt.

The RockShox Reverb Stealth seat post is pretty incredible. It routes out at the bottom inside of the main triangle, then back into the frame and out at the bars. It works flawlessly, and for someone who is into that sort of thing, it's the best of the best. I'm not, and even though I tried it, I didn't care for it and it adds a decent amount of weight, so I replaced it with an FSA S-LK carbon post, which is much lighter and works perfect for me.

Tires will always be a personal affair, and for me the Hans Dampf, while quite nice and quite grippy, were just too slow and heavy for my more cross country-oriented taste. I replaced the rear with a Racing Ralph 2.25 Snakeskin (a personal favorite tire of mine), and with it the bike feels quite a bit quicker. Little less grip, but I'll happily trade for the speed. The front got replaced with a 2.35 Nobby Nic, which is lighter than the Dampf, still has some decent knobs (especially on the sides for cornering), but has a better, lower, faster rolling center profile.

The last replacement was the handlebar, which comes originally as a Chromag Fubar OSX. I loved the name and the look of the Fubar, but the width was just too much for me and my type of riding. So I replaced it with a Forte Carbon CR720, which is lighter and not nearly as wide (720mm compared to the Fubar's 780mm).

The drive train is simply incredible. I've been waiting for this for years. Finally, a beautifully constructed, simple 1x11 gear system that not only saves on weight, but shifts flawlessly. With a 30 up front and 10-42 in the rear, it's ready for all but the steepest climbs, and can get after some pretty sick downhills as well. I simply can't say enough about this drive train. It's perfect. The X0 rear derailleur is beautiful and beefy, and shifts are effortless (and in many gears almost completely silent, whilst out in the thick of it), while the chain stays sufficiently taught. The chain is proprietary to the system and is designed to not fall off; I have yet to pop it and I really have a hard time imagining a circumstance that would. Coming from 2x10, I don't find I'm missing anything really; the lowest gear isn't *quite* as low as the lowest on my previous 2x10, so some climbs have proven a bit more difficult, but hey, I'll just have to get stronger, huh? Seriously, hands down (EASILY), the best drive train I've ever used on a mountain bike. Pure joy.

The split pivot suspension system is not necessarily the best pedaling platform I've used, and having never used a DW Link system (purported to be the best), I can only say that I would likely place split pivot in the 'above average' category, but certainly not the best. When combined with the Fox CTD in either Climb or Trail, it's a worthy climber. With the tires replaced and the seat post and handlebars changed out to lighten things up a bit, it feels very nimble on ascent. Overall the bike is very nimble.

On descent the Troy is a more than capable companion, eating rock gardens and mid to large sized drops for breakfast. I ran out of letters here, so I'll close by saying the bike kicks ass! Cheers!

Favorite Trail:   Cedro/Coyote/Lone Pine area

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   GT Sensor 9r, Fisher HiFi Deluxe, Fisher Rumblefish, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert, Fuji SLM, Motobecane Fly Ti 29er, many, many more...

Bike Setup:   Stock Troy RR, except handlebars, seat post and tires

Submitted by Carraig042 a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2014

Strengths:    Strong carbon bike
Lifetime warranty on frame
great price for the build
Full internal cable routing including dropper post
Fox Kashima shock with CTD, Rockshox Pike up front
Good climber and great descender
Nice wide bars stock 785mm
Hans Dampf tires
Type 2 derailleur
Can mix and match frame and build kits with Devinci

Weaknesses:    No dropper post on XP build kit.
Not the lightest carbon bike out there (Has lifetime warranty though)
2x10 setup on drivetrain (I like the simplicity of a 1x10)
Avid Elixer 3 brakes (they work fine, but aren't great or what I ma used to)

Bottom Line:
The bike is all around great, It is the Dh'ers trail bike in my eyes. It feels like it has more travel than the 140/150 it actually has. It pedals really good on various types of terrain including the flowy trails, uphills, and over rocky/rooty sections. It was easy to set up, Devinci has some good suspension set-up videos for newer people. Now the part the DH people will like, it is slack enough to shred downhills really good. It gives a good stable feel at speed.

One of the best things about Devinci is that you can buy whichever frame you want and any build kit for that model as well. I did just that with mine. I bought the carbon frame with Kashima float shock and the XP build kit for the value. Overall the price is extremely hard to beat. You get a carbon frame, Kashima Fox shock, Rockshox Pike, X7 type 2 drivetrain, and nice stiff wheels and good Hans Dampf tires.

I also really like that it has internal cable routing. Though it is a small thing, but it makes for a clean look and less chance of crimped cables. I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants to try something different for a change. The 27.5 wheels roll well and are still nimble for technical riding. It is great for someone who is used to riding aggressively like a DH'er does. Simply put, I have not had this much on a trail bike to date.

Purchased At:   Billy Goat Bikes

SEATPOST: Xfusion Hilo 125
SEAT COLLAR: Alloy CNC 34.9mm
GRIPS: Easton Lock-on

EVS Sports WB01 or Troy Lee 5205 Brace

My history in biking is zero, and I just turned 41 so I'm trying to be safe as possible so I don't break anything. I had a few mishaps at a local park this weekend that could have sent my flying so now I'm looking for wrist brace. After doing some searching the Troy Lee does not appear to have many ... Read More »

2013 Troy Lee Sprint Shorts

Does anyone have these shorts yet (or seen them in person)? If so can you comment on the pocket situation? Troy Lee's description mentions something about a hip pocket which leads me to believe its just a single small pocket? Any give specific info how many pockets and if they are reasonable size ... Read More »

Left my Giro Xen helmet and Troy Lee gloves at the Dreamy Draw parking lot

In the haze of my post-ride stoke I managed to leave a grey/blue Giro Xen helmet and some red Troy Lee XC gloves. Yes, I'm an idiot. I went back the next morning after noticing my screw-up and they were no more (checked with ranger also). Please let me know if you found them! Trust me, you do NO ... Read More »

Poc Trabec Race or Trabec Race MIPS or Troy LEE a1 helmet

I am considering to buy a second helmet I am thinking to get POC Trabec Race, Trabec Race MIPS Version or Troy Lee A1. Do you think the POC Trabec MIPS version worth the money and what do you think about the protection level that Troy Lee A1 compared to POC Trabec Race/ MIPS?Read More »

anyone using the Troy lee 7850 body armor shirt

I broke my clavicle a few Weeks ago so I'm looking for something that'll help. I only ride xc with some down hill. My rides last around three to four hrs.. And I would like to know if it's vented well or any suggestions. ThanksRead More »