Wingnut Gear Hyper 3.0 Water Carrier

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

The 3.0 is an 800 cubic inch pack that can carry up to 3 liters (100oz) of water with plenty of room left over for your daily gear. NEW BLADDER POCKET has top loading entrance and gusseted bottom for easy in/out capacity.Bladder not included, compatible with any existing 3 liter bladders. An off road cycling favorite for the all day rider.

Submitted by idaz a Cross Country Rider from Patagonia, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Design, construction, and weight. Customer service was outstanding!

Weaknesses:    lacks belt loops, waist straps dangle (minor quibble fixed with rubber bands).

Bottom Line:
I wanted this pack for the increased water/stuff carrying capacity for endurance riding, it's excelled at that. The convenient wing pockets are a great feature for eating on the go. My back also feels cooler than it would with more traditionally designed packs.
Finding the right fit takes time and patience. My fit also changes during the course of any ride over 2 hours.
This pack also excels at hiking particularly when bushwacking is involved. The lower position of the pack prevents snagging on overhead branches/brush.
I wanted to exchange my pack for another color and the company was both generous and prompt in accomodating my request.
I'd buy it again (but won't need to, it's burly) and may buy another model in the future.

Favorite Trail:   AZ Trail

Purchased At:   Factory direct

Similar Products Used:   camelback models, all the other camelback knock-offs

Bike Setup:   Jabberwocky

Submitted by 29ftw a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Too many strengths to list

Weaknesses:    If you have low-back issues this pack will aggravate them! The idea of this pack is great but it will move around while riding

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome pack. If not for prior low-back issues I would still have it. Customer service was great. When I received the pack a pad was misaligned (these are handmade) - I let Scott know and he immediately sent out a replacement.

The wing pockets are the shiz while riding. You can fit/store anything in the inner zippered pocket and outside mesh pocket. The pack is VERY light. The capacity is ridiculous. You could fit an enormous amount of gear in the large pocket for an overnight or all-day ride. Built in safety whistle is a nice touch (good for bears..haha). The wing pockets do stick out a bit and can clip trees if you ride tight east coast ST. Was not a big problem though.

For me, having (essentially) the entire pack sitting on my quadratus lumborum muscles was very fatiguing after a long ride. It definitely aggravated the muscles. Part of the issue I had was my lack of a butt! The pack would tend to slide down a bit unless I really cinched up the waist strap to keep it put. The shoulder straps aren't really meant to hold the bulk of the weight. If I didn't tighten the waist straps enough, the pack could suddenly slide pretty far down (onto my butt past my hips) if I was in a certain position while navigating technical terrain. Not cool at all - kinda like baggy shorts getting caught on your seat while your trying to get your weight back.. Overall I gave the pack a 4 because I think fit depends on your build and physique..value a 4 since it doesn't come with a bladder.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Wingnut

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Rogue, HAWG, MULE and Classic. Deuter Race X Air, Osprey Raptor 6

Bike Setup:   Niner HT

Submitted by K. M. Williams a Cross Country Rider from NewYork, NY

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2011

Strengths:    Product is good. Customer service is terrible. I exchanged the Hyper for the Slingback and returned a press Bot. That was 2 months ago. I still haven't gotten a refund inspire of multiple emails. Exchange took forever too. Obviously the guys are great cyclists but business people- NO. I'll probabgly have to go to court to get my refund!

Bottom Line:
Unless you're a laid-back "whatever" person- skip this company & go with Revelate or your LBS options.

Favorite Trail:   lots of favs

Purchased At:   on line at wingnut v

Bike Setup:   To
I used this on my off-road bike, on-road and even as a pannier. Slingback has good space & well-constructed.
Several bikes.

Submitted by Muzza a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    Really comfortable. I had problems with my left hand going number on longer rides which I thought was probably due to my Camelbak not fitting well. Not an adjustment issue, but a just not fitting well.Since swapping to the Wingnut I have had no problems at all.
It sits low on my back which I like, sticks in position like a limpet and is far cooler to ride with.
Really well made, side pockets work well, potential to put 2x bladders in the bladder pocket for really long rides (might compromise the main pocket capacity)

Weaknesses:    The pockets are just that, big pockets. There is no internal organistion system like Camelbak has. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

Bottom Line:
Great product, comfortable, doesn't move on around when going through the rough stuff, plenty of capacity. 3x Chilli's for value (was expensive to import into NZ), but 5x overall reflecting the functionality of the product.

Purchased At:   Wingnut

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Blowfish and another smaller one I can't recall the name of

Bike Setup:   Who cares?

Submitted by Bob L a Cross Country Rider from Silverado Canyon, CA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    Materials, ease of access to wing pockets, workmanship, ease of bladder fill

Weaknesses:    lack of little things like key clip, interior pockets. shoulder harness digs in, low weight supported by hip strap can intesify low back problems, wings can catch on narrow, brushy singletrack.

Bottom Line:
Saw the reviews and thought I would give one a try. The marketing hype seemed to make sense, until I realized it was hype... there's a reason you don't see a lot of people using these.
At first look, the materials and workmanship are first class; sailcloth, waterproof zippers with bombproof pulls, hand made in New York. Unique design, but turns out to be similar to some military packs that are no longer used. But I bought into the little cartoon on the tag showing a comparison between standard packs and the Wingnut using a figure carrying a ladder to illustrate. Made sense at first. Then I loaded it up, cinched down the hip belt and took off. first thing I noticed was the upper suspension strap crossover connector digging in between my shoulder blades. Stop, adjust so most of weight is supported by waist belt. back on bike, upper strap connecter still annoying, but at least now the tight waist belt was causing enough discomfort to offset the upper strap pain.

At first I thought the pack was very cool (in 2 months I saw only one other person using one) and thought I would get used to the annoying traits. I tried and tried to like this pack, even going to a different shop for (hopefully) different set-up pointers, all to no avail. Then, at a rather large ride (60+ riders) I had not one but two people come up and say "wow, wish I knew you wanted one; would have sold you mine cheap!). Now I know why they are scarce.

Another problem was the all the weight on my hips supported by a tight waist strap. Again i had bought into the reviews stating how this "helped" riders with back pain. Not in my case: my low back, S.I. Joint and sacrum were irritated by the low weight and cinched down waist belt. Plus, although my upper back seemed cooler, the pack covers and insulates your kidneys, making for an overall warmer body. Maybe good in winter, but not August in CA.

On the plus side, the side pockets are great for stashing food and grabbing while riding. They easily handle several packs of snot blocks, goo bags and my favorite: onion bagels with cream cheese and lox. And still enough room for small binocs, a gps, and (rarely) a cellphone. And don't forget the dew rag. The main pocket is huge. will easily carry elbow pads, a pump, jacket and a cheesesteak with. Seemingly a great pack for long rides (and I used on two 25+milers)but ultimately too uncomfortable for anything but the shortest loops.

But alas alack, all the plusses don't make up for the fact that the pack is just plain uncomfortable(to me). So four flamers for value (cause it IS made well) but less for overall due to reasons above.

Favorite Trail:   Wildcat

Similar Products Used:   Various standard hydration packs

Bike Setup:   All mountain

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Twin Cities, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Strengths:    Size, fit, design, waterproof construction

Weaknesses:    None found

Bottom Line:
Just what the doctor ordered! I picked this up after seeing some great reviews. I ordered online and didn't hear anything for a couple of days and started to get a little worried. Then, it showed up at my door a few days earlier than I expected, and it rocks! Bomb-proof construction; I love all the waterproof features (sailcloth and water-tight zippers). The low-ride fit is great! Little extras like the built-in whistle, under-arm hose routing, are very nice. I like the easy access to the sidewing pockets for phone, GPS, gel, etc. without have to take off the pack. Additionally, I dig the fact that it doesn't come with its own bladder. I've always liked the Ultimate Designs roll-top bladder and their 128 oz works like a champ in the Hyper. I couldn't be more pleased! Four chilis on price, but worth it!!!

Purchased At:   99

Similar Products Used:   Numerous Camelbaks

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant

Submitted by ian a Cross Country Rider from staten island,ny,usa

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Strengths:    quality of materials, design is great for mountain biking, customer service is excellent

Weaknesses:    not really a weakness, initial set up takes a few minutes as opposed to a camelbak

Bottom Line:
i invested in the 3.0 after reading a few positive reviews in magazines and online. i was interested in a hydration pack that does not place the load on the shoulders as does the vast majority of other packs out there. the weight with the 3.0 is at the hips and lower back, making it much more comfortable when full of water and gear. the pockets on the sides enable you to access the pack without taking it off, and i find the convenience of this to be great when reaching for a gel, camera or car keys. if you experience lower back pain after an extended ride, the 3.0 could be a relief, and to me it is well worth the price, even if it doesnt include a bladder, not to have back pain. great customer service, if you cant decide between models, give them a call and they are more than willing to explain the differences. oh yeah and the waterproof sailcloth and zippers, all for a 17 ounce pack, just seals the deal.

Favorite Trail:   waywayanda, nj