Vaude Dash series Water Carrier

Weight : 680 grams MSRP : $49.95

Our idea of a bare-bones hydration pack. Slim profile, wind-cheating form factor with the cool comfort of an AEROFLEX mesh back. Evaporate your sweat and vaporize the competition! Plenty big for a single 2 liter/70 ounce reservoir, pump, rain gear and your favorite energy snack. Built-in helmet holder/gear panel and front mesh pocket expand your possibilities. Available WET or DRY. That's with or without our BIG DRIP 2L hydrations system. Volume: 10 L (600 in3)

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV USA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Strengths:    Keeps back dry! Stores toolkit,keys, and Cell Phone.
Light.

Weaknesses:    Gotta Freeze water to keep it cold in "Hot Las Vegas Summers." Tough to put full 70oz. bladder in pack.

Bottom Line:
Works great. I need to remember to freeze water the night before for riding in hot weather. Very comfortable. You hardly know it is on.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Vaude

Similar Products Used:   Mule

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Strengths:    The Aeroflex suspension system keeps you from getting the sweaty back like a CamelBack gives you, and creates a secure and stable platform for a hydration pack. I never realize I'm wearing it. I've crashed a few times and landed square on this thing but it survived without a scratch, so it seems very durable. Mine is an older Dash 8 (cool name if you're an airplane fan) which only has the expandable mesh pocket and a small zip pocket (in addition to the bladder pocket). The small zip pocket works great for tools etc, and the meshie holds a wind vest, chow, and pump with ease. It has a waist and sternum strap, but it fits so well I don't use them.

Weaknesses:    One of the elastic tabs on the shoulder strap is coming undone, not a major deal, but it's got me keeping my eye on other places where stiching is under load. Due to the curved back from the Aeroflex harness, it's a bit difficult to fit a full 70oz bladder into the pack.

Bottom Line:
This is a great intermediate, wear-on-your-daily ride type pack, but lacks the storage capacity to serve as a true epic-ride pack. I'm looking at a Deuter Cross Race for that. I love the Aeroflex suspension since it keeps my back so cool and dry, even if it robs a little storage space from the pack itself.

Purchased At:   Vertical Earth, Coeur D'Alene, ID

Similar Products Used:   CamelBack Hydroback. Too small at 40oz, although it works great under my fly fishing vest