Supergo Megagulp Water Carrier

4.13/5 (32 Reviews)

Supergo Megagulp

Submitted by Waide a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    Value
Very nice size
many nice touches (see below)

Weaknesses:    poor bite valve
the don't sell replacement bite valves

Bottom Line:
I think the Megagulp from supergo.com is an excellent hydration pack for $39.00. I believe it holds 70 oz. and it has a large pocket (big enough for a wallet, cell phone, a spare tube, a multi tool, and a patch kit), a small pocket (big enough for keys and some change), and a mesh pocket (big enough for a windbreaker or a vest.) It also has elastic cords to strap on a bigger jacket, a key clip, velcro tabs to hold the reservoir up, and a mesh back and straps. Another nice feature is the drip valve. If you get a "Hang Dry" and cut the hook off, and put it inside, you can hang the reservoir from a loop on the other end, and the bag will usually dry overnight. The heavy nylon pack seems to be sturdy and the screw top for the bag is leak-proof if sealed tightly.
The bite valve will give out sooner than it should. I found a replacement from Gregory at a backpacking shop that I like so far. This does, however, eliminate one unique advantage of the pack. The hose has screw fittings at each end so it is easier to clean and dry. I would give it more chilis if the bite valve was better or if it was easy to get a replacement.

Favorite Trail:   anything near the hub in the Santa Monica mountains

Similar Products Used:   water bottles

Bike Setup:   FSR XC Comp w/ two bottles/cages

Submitted by Jared a Weekend Warrior from Dallas

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Strengths:
value, design

Weaknesses:
bite valve

Bottom Line:
I've had mine for over a year, and it works great! The first time I filled up my bag with Gatorade & put left it overnight in the frig, it leaked everywhere. Supergo sent me another one & I'm good to go. I tried using the bite valve, but it's not worth the effort. I actually used a Blackburn gulp valve with mine, and it flows like a fire hydrant! Great design. Just the right size, enought pockets, etc. to carry what you need for an afternoon ride.

camelback

Submitted by alex kerin a Cross-Country Rider from boston

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
Okay, an update from the previous mail - the new bite valve is still crap - v. poor. BUT, the camelbak bite valve fits with a bit of trying, even though it is not meant for that diamter tube - just buy the bag and a camelbak valve....

2 Years

Submitted by alex a Cross-Country Rider from kerin

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
price - size - mesh on back

Weaknesses:
bite valve, BUT read below

Bottom Line:
Good bag, good price - but as said by all the bite valve was poor (Full flow leak after 5 weeks). So I emailed them referencing this product review page - the result - they sent me a replacement valve of a different design (more akin to camelbak design)- this works well so far. Any of you with the duff sprung valve, just email them.... 5 jalepenos

3 months

bottles

Kona hardtail/ Z2 AtomBomb

Submitted by mtb_411 a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just a quick follow up:
Everything is good except for the tube that dribbles. Like any other part, you need to lube it. Just oil it with some olive oil, rince it and you should be good to go!

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Strengths:
Cost
Capacity
Ease of use
Features
Value

Weaknesses:
Bite valve
85 oz not always enough H2O for epic rides

Bottom Line:
After a full year of use my megagulp is still going strong despite me. I managed to pretty
much destroy the belt and rip most of the storage pockets through my own clumsiness
and poor judgement, but the pack lives on and still holds plenty of water and gear. Compared to others I've tried it is a cinch to fill and drain because of the thoughful inclusion of a handle near the fill area and the drain plug, not to mention the hang loop. My only gripe is the bite valve, which drips like mad, but that is the only thing. I am going to swap it out for a new Cannondale bite valve, and hope this will remedy the situation. Still, for $39 it is a sweet deal. Five, count 'em, five flaming chili peppers!

Anything with lots of climbing

Blackburn HR-100 Rush
Avenir Aquasimodo

Various

Submitted by DRay a Cross-Country Rider from Ellensburg, WA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 1999

Strengths:
Awesome pack, great price, big bladder, big hole, holds everythin from chain tool to sweatshirt.

Weaknesses:
Blinkin' bite valve!

Bottom Line:
What a great pack. I can take everything I need with me, and I have yet to run out of water. I've been using it about every other week for about a year now, but the old Bite Valve Disease reared its ugly head last weekend. Thank goodness it was raining, or i would have noticed my soaked arm and hip much quicker and been much more annoyed. I called Supergo last week to order some other equip. and asked the sales guy about it. He said all they could do is sell me a new bladder! I think I'll call them back. If I do get a new bladder, it will not only be something that doesn't leak, it will have more flow than the cursed Megagulp.
Great pack and bladder. Poopy bite valve. 3 dookies.

Taneum

Water Bottle

Trek 7000, Manitou FS...

Submitted by Alex H. a Cross-Country Rider from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1999

Strengths:
Storage capabilities and comfort.

Weaknesses:
Bite valve bites.

Bottom Line:
When I first got the Megagulp, I really like it. I can stuff my first aid kit into the elastic mesh, plenty of tools and Clif bars into the zippered compartments, and a small pump in the long compartment. The bite valve looked interesting and worked well. I worked at a bike shop at the time and even recommended it to a friend over the Camelbaks that we carried. Then the bite valve started leaking. Sometimes it's just an annoying drip and sometimes a full gush that refuses to stop. The customer service from Supergo has been awful. When I finally spoke to someone, he flat out said there is nothing he could do and transferred me to the customer servie voice mail. It was full and would not let me leave a message. I left several e-mails, the only one that ever got returned said that he was forwarding my problem to customer service. I have read good things about them in the past, do they think they don't have to back up their products anymore? I am very disappointed. 5 chilis for the pack, minus 2 for the bite valve, minus 2 for the lack of service.

Caesar's Creek

Original Camelbak

SID XC 80mm on hardtail

Submitted by mtb_411 a Cross-Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: April 3, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap, usefull, looks good

Weaknesses:
Tube dribbles

Bottom Line:
Good looking, and usefull. Enough pockets for tool, some food, lots of water, and cords for a windbreaker on the exterior. The tube dribbles though after a drink so all you need to do is blow some air back into the tube after your sip and the air pressure will hold out the water. Once your thirsty again though, watch out! The water will come SHOOTING out!!! hmmm.... I guess that's a positive after all! Five chilli's!!!

3 months

Bottles

XC Hardtail

Submitted by Lee a Cross-Country Rider from Mass

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Strengths:
Holds tons of water, filler cap is big enough for regular sized ice cubes, plenty of storage space

Weaknesses:
?

Bottom Line:
I actually got the Super gulp (not the Mega-gulp) when it was still available. It was like $30. It still holds 80 oz or so, but it doesn't have the padded straps or as much storage space. It'll still easily hold a tube or two, a hand pump, your keys and a couple packs of Gu. I like it, except for the pathetic bite valve. I got rid of that and bought the Blackburn bite valve, which rules. I guess since you can't get my model anymore, get the mega gulp- it's probably better suited to all day excursions, and maybe more comfortable due to the padded straps. It's worth it...

Otis on Cape Cod

Just water bottles

I ride with this on my back.

Submitted by Ron a cross-country rider from USA! USA!

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have owned a Supergo Mega Gulp for almost six months and I have to say that I am fairly disappointed. However, I must give credit where credit is due. The thing cost me less than fifty bones including shipping, as compared to a C not for a comparable camel back. But, the thing is, after the third ride, the plastic bite valve stuck open and promtly voided itself of any of the precious fluids within. Supergo was good enough to send me another bite valve only to let it happen again and again. After the third bite valve sticking, they sent me a rubber bite valve and it seems to work well. It doesn't hav the same rate of flow, but it works. Also, I have a problem with the drain plug at the top of the bladder. When it was being bonded in there, they missed a spot and it leaks like a newborn. And just recently, a new leak has formed where the hose screws into the bladder. Again, I did pay a lot less than if I were to go with a camel back, but come on, this thing leaks more than a frat boy after a 45 second keg stand. Maybe I got a lemon. Maybe I have a strange way of biting down on the valve. Maybe I ruptured the seal on a fall. Or Maybe this thing is a piece of crap.I give it 5 chilies for value, but -1 for it's workmanship

Submitted by Pepe a weekend warrior from Portugal

Date Reviewed: November 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've just received my new megagulp. Used only once, but my opinion is the best.
Just hope that usage doesn't ruin the bite valve. It worked fine in the first ride. It carried a lot of stuff inside: a rain protection, and food, and tools, and a spare tube, and a pump, and the car keys, the mobile phone, my wallet: everithing you need, and more...
I ordered it from the US, payed import taxes ($15US), payed for transportation and it still is cheaper than the M.U.L.E..
Looks like a great value for my money. Give it a four because time must pass before I give it the killing five chillies!

Submitted by Al a weekend warrior from Amish Country, PA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I love my Supergulp. I got a free pair of Fisher gloves when I ordered it. The only thing that bit was the bite valve.
It started leaking all over my shorts. They sent me a new one yesterday. By the way, Supergo is the besk kickin' mailorder house in the world.Peace out!
Big Al

Submitted by JoBu a cross-country rider from FL

Date Reviewed: September 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently purchased a Megagulp. What a deal. Incredible amount of storage, extra large H2O capacity, and a cheap, cheap price. My only gripe is the bite valve. I prefer the Blackburn-style gulp valve and quickly put on one. With products like this out there, it's hard for Camelback to justify their prices on their H.A.W.G.'s and their M.U.L.E.'s. If you are currently contemplating the purchase of a hydration system, look no further. If you don't need all the storage and H2O capacity, get a Supergulp. Also a fantastic deal.

Submitted by Scott a cross-country rider from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got the Megagulp because it was much cheaper than a MULE. I think it's all around great, except for the mouthpiece, which I quickly ditched for a real Camelback Bitevalve. Plenty of storage, and I do like the waiststrap and the sternum strap. It's also nice in that it keeps my water cool.
I carry a pump, 2 tubes, patchkit, wallet, keys, tirelevers and 2 liters of fluid. I'd give it 5 flamers if it had a better bitevalve.