Specialized Mountain Cage Water Carrier

Our patented Composite plastic cages are tough to survive what mountain bike rides can throw at them. They won't launch bottles in the process either.

Submitted by John Thompson a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, holds bottle well, seemingly unbreakable.

Weaknesses:    None, in my opinion.

Bottom Line:
I've used this cage on various bikes for years and years, and I'd go out of my way to find it. I've never lost a water bottle, but I've sure picked up my share from other bikers. Only once or twice has the bottle been dislodged by impacts in ten years of use, always LONG after the rider had been separated from the bike!

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Purchased At:   various

Similar Products Used:   Aluminum job that broke its weld and went to curbside recycling.

Bike Setup:   Used it on a series of Specialized Rockhoppers, now on an Epic.

Submitted by Stuart a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, holds bottles well when you misjudge how big that drop is and when you stack! Doesn't bend and it is light too, 55g. :-) Black goes with my bike - it's black too!

Weaknesses:    Two cages don't fit right on my bike when I put the 2nd one on for long rides - Giant ATX frame, but it is a small frame.... I just use a smaller bottle for the vertical cage.

Bottom Line:
It does what it is designed to do, looks fine, doesn't bend like a clothes hanger wire one, holds bottles snugly and is light... It cost me AU$12 in Australia which is ok (our exchange rate is bad v's the greenback).
A cage worth getting, I'm very happy with it.

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX LE with two wheels, pedals, a seat etc.....

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    Does not mark bottles the way matal cages do. Light and holds bottles tight.

Weaknesses:    Almost holds bottles too tight for my liking.

Bottom Line:
These are the best bottle cages on the market as far as I'm concerned. I had to order them from the Specialized on-line store since they were not available at my local bike shop(s).

Metal (Aluminum) bottle cages mark bottles in just a few rides and they loosen/bend up over time. The other “plastic” cages don't seem to hold the bottles very tight. I have had the road versions of these cages on my Kestrel for many years and love them.

Aluminum cages are from the Renolds 531 era of bicycling. I don't understand why most all bike shops still carry aluminum cages.

Purchased At:   Specialized on-line

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn aluminum, Specialized old lighter - road - version of these cages

Bike Setup:   Road - Kestrel
Mountian - Rocky Mountain Instinct

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from NW Illinois

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    It holds water bottles, amazing.

Weaknesses:    None that come to mind

Bottom Line:
For looking like an unrealiable piece of plastic, I'm impressed. The composite material holds the bottles in for all but the worst spills (you know the type where you and your bike become separated by several feet). Perfect snugness. The two cages seem light for those who care, and show no signs of potential failure after a year. I'd buy 'em again without hesitation.

The $0 cost is because the LBS just gave me one they had laying around and I don't remember how I got the first one.