Platypus Liquidator Hydration Pack Water Carrier

2.52/5 (27 Reviews)

Platypus Liquidator Hydration Pack by Cascade Designs

Submitted by Dave from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    cheap i guess
Ziploc thingy works well
lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    leaks

Bottom Line:
I have just recieved my 4th replacement bladder. They have all leaked at the same place, about 2 inches from the bottom, where the bladder creases a bit in my pack. After about 6 months they begin to leak. Nobody likes arriving at the trailhead with their pack all wet, and their gear all wet. This especially sucks in winter. The only reason i have stuck with Platypus is their lifetime warranty and they just keep sneding me more crappy replacemnt bladders. The last bladder i recieved is a little diffrerent in design, and the bite valve looks a lot nicer. Though the hose (which is claimed to be 'lined with polyurethant' looks like there is an inner layer of plastic that has delaminated...this leaves me questioning...dont really want to ingest chunks of plastic. This latest bladder no longer has 'lifetime warranty' printed on it...

Purchased At:   Toronto Bike Show

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Piedmont, NC USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2006

Strengths:    Reliable, nice storage

Weaknesses:    Waist belt could be improved with a padded one

Bottom Line:
The red color makes for good visibility, an asset where hunters may be circulating about. The working components (water bag, hose, bite valve) have worked without a hitch. It doesn't leak if you keep the valve off of the floor. The wicking effect of the back fabric works. The main storage compartments (cargo pocket, elastic mesh pockets) are utilitarian enough for a day pack. It's become my main hiking day pack; pretty impressive for its compact size. A mini pump fits nicely on the side sleeve/locking cord.

Favorite Trail:   Uwharrie Mtn area

Purchased At:   Campmor

Similar Products Used:   First hydration pack

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher sugar with Mavic UST wheels and Continental Explorer UST tires

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Co. Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    Strong and doesn't leave a plastic taste. Easy to clean and great for ice. The zip lock seal at the top makes a great seal.

Weaknesses:    NONE. still using the one i bought 2 years ago.

Bottom Line:
I highly suggest this product. Although it is a pain in the ass to get the product warrantied.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   rei sports

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak

Bike Setup:   6+6 freeride rig

Submitted by Dawn from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
I had a problem with the zipper of the bladder not closing, so I googled "platyupus won't close" and found this set of reviews. When I saw the person who suggested vaseline, I didn't have any so I put some olive oil on my finger and rubbed it on the zipper as a last ditch effort before throwing it out, and sure enough, it worked! Just like that...the zipper suddenly closed again, and I even filled it and turned it upside down- no leaks. So I figured I would post here in case anyone else had this problem. Oil must be better to use than vaseline on a product you drink out of anyway- yuck on the vaseline!

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap. Holds water. Easy to put ice in. No plastic taste.

Weaknesses:    Bite valve is hard to put back together. Should come with bite valve cover to protect from dirt (extra option $7 for a piece of neoprene)

Bottom Line:
Great if you have a back pack with a hydration pack pocket in it. Easy to fill up with ice. Careful when you put it down that the mouthpiece doesn't fall in sand or dirt.

Purchased At:   www.mec.ca

Similar Products Used:   Bike cage water bottle

Bike Setup:   Norco Sasquatch, Avid 203mm disc front, XTR Vees rear, Bomber Z5

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Victoria

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    ????
oh ya, food grade plastic

Weaknesses:    plastic bladder cracks with use and then leakes like a sive
poor bite valve

Bottom Line:
This bladder is the weak spot literally. Get an MSR and you will be set for life. The Platypus is a defective product in my estimation. Shouldn't be on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Dump

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   MSR Dromedary bladder and bite valve
Camelbak

Bike Setup:   who cares

Submitted by phishin a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Strengths:    Decent Bag, Plenty of cargo space, price.

Weaknesses:    Bladder is crap, mouthpiece coud have better flow.

Bottom Line:
This thing has a decent bag and I can carry a tube, pump, multitool, patchkit, chainbreaker, links, jersey, food and still have room for more.

The first thing I did with this product was replace the mouthpiece with a camelbak one so I could actually get a big gulp of water.

Just last week My bladder developed a leak. Replaced it with a 100oz camelbak bladder and life is good.

I guess the bottom line is that platypus makes a great backpack for riding but they cant make a hydration pak for $hit. In the end youll spend as much as a camelbak so you might as well go out and buy one in the first place.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mtn Area

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Aerobak, Calssic

Bike Setup:   97 Jamis Dakar w/ all the goodies

Submitted by Michael Logan a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena,Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to take in or out of pack when full, easy to fill.

Weaknesses:    Bladder won,t close.

Bottom Line:
I was impressed with a 70 oz. pack I had won so I bought a100 oz. pack. They are great if used infrequently but if used a lot are worthless.One leaked from a hole in bladder and both (after one replacement) are impossible to close after 6 mo. moderate use. I have gone back to the camel.

Favorite Trail:   Schultz Cr.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Camelback

Bike Setup:   Just fine

Submitted by cjm a Cross Country Rider from Glendale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to put ice in it.

Weaknesses:    Leaks.

Bottom Line:
I initially thought the Platypus bladder design was the best thing since slice bread, but the it leaked.

The first time that it leaked (inside my sportsbag) my Tumi leather wallet got wet. The second time that it leaked (inside my sportsbag) my Motorola StarTAC got wet. In one case, the leather seats of my car got wet too.

Perhaps the only safe way to transport the platypus bladder is outside the car, hanging from the bike rack.

I have a problem with the marketing folks at Platypus who claim the P.O.S. is super strong and doesn't leak. If Platypus would at least tell you proper handling procedure for their P.O.S., then inocent people would not have consequential losses.

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn, Gregory, Camelback

Bike Setup:   Two wheels.

Submitted by Mark Ling a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    Easy cleaning

Weaknesses:    Leak at bite valve

Bottom Line:
I will always use the Platypus bladder in any pack. So easy to clean. My tips:

1. To close, fill with ice first then close and fill with water from the screwcap opening. You will break a finger if you fill and then try to "ziploc it"

2. To dry bladder, open mouth and stick the bottom of a drinking glass. Stand glass upright.

3. To dry hose, take the bite valve off.

Favorite Trail:   Breckenridge, CO

Similar Products Used:   Camelback

Bike Setup:   Road and Mountain

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Tucson

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1999

Strengths:
bag is well constructed, rugged and useful

Weaknesses:
Bladder leaks, leaks, leaks. It's hard to close. Had to replace bite valve.

Bottom Line:
Split rating. The bag is well made and durable. The construction is great and the shoulder straps are comfy. Holds a lot of stuff. Bummers...
I had to make a sternum strap with nylon and buckles bought at a hiking store. The pack should have a sternum strap and a pump sleeve. The bite valve leaked badly, but I was able to replace it with a Blackburn model. The hard plastic bladder has gotten numerous tiny leaks which are a major source of irritation. The Ziploc type closure is so hard to work that I don't use it, instead I unscrew the cap on the bottom and fill it that way. The best way to go is buy a Platypus and then install a less frustrating bladder from another company. I hate the bladder. 3 flaming piles for the well made bag, they lose two for the awful bladder.

2 Years

Blackburn

Mongoose NX8.1 duallie with Judy XC

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1999

Strengths:
ZipLoc, Taste (or lack of taste) easy cleaning

Weaknesses:
Valve, outside diameter size is larger than most accessories.

Bottom Line:
The valve does occasionally leak. I'm going to get a male-male plastic coupler so I can use the CamelMak big bite valve with the Hoser3 tubing. (the outside diameters of the 2 are not compatible) Haven't had any leaks yet on the bladder yet. I fill it 1/3 with spring water the night before, then add spring water the day of the ride. By the end of the ride, there is still a little water and a little chunk of ice keeping it cool. I wash with hot water/soap, and run a couple of tablespoons of baking doda in it. The difference in taste is night and day, compared to the CamelBak bladder. I still love my CamelBak Mule carrier-pack, but will keep the Platypus resevoir. Big, big difference.

Barton, Kelly, Forrest Ridge

3 months

CamelBak bladder

I use the Hoser3 (100oz/3ltr) bladder (resevoir) in my CamelBak mule

Submitted by Cdale a Cross-Country Rider from Stuckton, CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to fill w/ water, ice, etc. You can reach in w/ a sponge and wash it out. Easier to put into the backpacks due to stiffness. No taste. Pretty clear color.

Weaknesses:
Hard to close ziplock top- starts to leak at folds.

Bottom Line:
I've got to agree w/ most of the posts here- they leak after being used for a while. Yeah- isn't it lovely putting on a wet pack in the winter!? Top is hard to close if you are tired, or have weak hands. Two flaming horses (only being nice cuz they work great until they start leaking).PS. Keep your bladders in the fridge for mold-free drinkage!

Darrington

6 months

Camelcrak bladders.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Taste

Weaknesses:
Disposable bladders.

Bottom Line:
Of the riders in my group all have had to replace the bladder within 1 month. After 5 bladders, they have switch to camelbak bladders.

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by Dickson a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Strengths:
Big mouth-gets ice in, easy to clean. Does not add plastic strange taste to water.

Weaknesses:
Zip lock is difficult to close, nearly usely tube-to-strap clip.

Bottom Line:
I bought the system of the wide mouth. Also like the the life-time warranty. I called the tech support about the difficulty to close the zip top and they asked me to try vaseline, and offered to replace the one I have if that didn't work. Like someone on this forum, I replaced the bite valve with a Blackburn for better flow. Drinking-tube-to-shoulder-strap clip is lame. It will come off the shoulder strap with the lightest of yank.

Mt Tamp-Eldridge Grade