Platypus Backdraft Water Carrier

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Platypus Backdraft

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Strengths:    Great hydration pack. Holds lot's o h20 and also has quite a bit of room for "stuff" I really like the chest and shoulder straps, and the "ziplock" stays closed, even with all 200# of me landing on top of it!!

Weaknesses:    The only thing I dislike about this product is the bite valve. It kept leaking so I replaced it with a camelback one

Bottom Line:
This is a great inexpensive and durable hydro pack. While not a camelback, it keeps you hydrated and keeps a little $'s in you pocket to buy some other cool stuff for your bike!!

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon Trails

Purchased At:   Bike Stuff Boulder City, Nv

Similar Products Used:   first one

Bike Setup:   Mongoose pro with alot of extras

Submitted by Jin Man a Weekend Warrior from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    Enough capacity to carry water and stuffs to go for 3 to 4 hours on the trail. Not too expensive as Camelbacks. The filling system is easy and it's not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    Too short wrist retention belt, well I'm not lean and it may seem small for me, but it fits me just Ok.

Bottom Line:
This product was on sale in my friend's shop, who gave more discount, so I paid less than people in USA, any way, It's great to keep enough water for more than 3 hours of riding and to carry any stuff that I really need on the trail.

It's not cool as a Camelback, but it does its job very well and is really easy to clean and fill.

The thing that I most like is the small two compartments besides so I can carry my mobile phone and a multipropose knife in each one. Also, the small inner pocket is nice for my coins, keys and wallet, so I'm not going to lose something on the trail as I used to. He he he

Favorite Trail:   All Mexico

Similar Products Used:   Canondale and Camelback

Bike Setup:   Tough hardtail with full XT jacket

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Strengths:    Strikes a nice balance between good water capacity, moderate cargo capacity, and small size. I use it for cycling and hiking, and when hiking a supplement with a fanny pack to carry a camera and so on. At this price, it was the only bag to offer both sternum and chest straps, both of which are essential in my view, especially on a bike. I like the stiffness of the bladder and the fact that it doesn't leak, Camelbaks can or used to. This makes it very easy to clean thoroughly, and has the bonus that it can be put inside other packs (eg, back pack for serious hiking) without worrying about damaging it.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't look quite as cool as some of the Camelbaks IMHO

Bottom Line:
I'm a sucker for underdog companies that go head to head with the dominant ones (Camel Bak in this case). But the Platypus really did meet my needs the best. I was a bit dubious at first in the store, but glad I got it.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak

Submitted by Kane a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Strengths:    -The chest straps at this price point were a deciding factor over the camelback which cost another $20 for chest straps.
-The zip lock bag has been totally durable and it is very easy to clean. Germ freaks stay away from camel back because you can never clean their lousy bags.

Weaknesses:    -The blackburn mouth valve is better so I bought one because it is easier to drink out while riding @any speed.

Bottom Line:
The comfort of this bag was superior to the camelback and the ability to clean the water bag was a no brainer. Everyone forgets to empty their water bag after a ride and with this bag you can clean it like brand new!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Burma@Anadale Park

Purchased At:   Santa Rosa Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Camelback and blackburn

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz full on dick bike superlight.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Strengths:    Platypus big zip

Weaknesses:    none anymore

Bottom Line:
Well I wrote the other review and dissed this product badly, but it turns out the big zip bag was defective! They were cool about the replacement and it works great now and is easy to clean and fill with Ice! go get it!

Similar Products Used:   Camelback Lobo

Bike Setup:   uhh

Submitted by Eric a Racer from NH

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Strengths:    Read this review IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Weaknesses:    I have beefs with the zipper bag

Bottom Line:
So I got this Platypus Roadrunner pack on sale and now I know why...I have never even used this yet because there is no way that this thing is going to hold water!I followed the instructions perfecly and filled the bag with water and sealed the ziplock bag thing. It said to invert the bag to test the seal so I did it instantly burst open gushing water into my sink. When the water hit the sink some old rancid orange juice sprayed into my eye! I rubbed it so hard that I couldn't see anymore. I tried to turn the water on to rinse out my eye but the hot water turned on and burned me badly. I then fell down the stairs and almost died!!!! Then me friend needed to borrow it for a long ride he was going on..I said sure dude this bag rules! HAHAAH he said he was riding along and the bag burst open and caught fire on his back!! he then crashed into a tree and fell down a cliff. He was real mad at me for a while. so In conclusion this bag is deadly! but I do like the way it looks so I will give it 1 burning playtpus bag that I set on fire!

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak LOBO

Bike Setup:   doesn't matter

Submitted by Karen a Weekend Warrior from Fairborn, Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
The durable ziplock-type bag which easily fills with ice cubes and is easy to clean, the size which fits smaller people like me, comfortable straps and easy to use big bite valve.

Weaknesses:
The waist straps arent really needed because the Platypus stays secure with only the arm straps. Also, the ziplock bag is hard to snap shut when its really cold.

Bottom Line:
This is an ideal hydration system for people with smaller frames like me. It fits well, the valve delivers lots of water quickly, its a snap to fill with ice cubes & is well-insulated and is really easy to clean. I recommend it to anyone looking for a hydration system for a day's ride. (it holds 60 ounces). It also has a small cargo area for things like keys and spare tubes. I've even filled the zip bag partially (for me) and then stuffed the pack with other water bottles for passing out at races. Its a very versatile hydration/pack system.

Caesar's Creek