Performance Spinal Pack Water Carrier

3.07/5 (14 Reviews)

Performance Spinal Pack Hydration System

Submitted by Ed Harris a weekend warrior from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

The pack itself is great, but I ditched the bladder and valve. The valve never stopped leaking! I don't mind a little water on a hot day, but a constant stream of gatorade down my jersey pretty much sucks. I sent the bladder back to Performance for a replacement and I was notified that they no longer stocked that item! Suits me; I replaced the innards with a Platypus system - too soon to tell how much of an improvement it will be.

Submitted by Brian a weekend warrior from tennessee

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Decent bag, Crappy bite valve!! Put a Blackburn valve on it and it works pretty well. If you don't, youll have a very soggy knee and thigh! Not that much of a probelem except in the winter when it becomes uncomfortable to stay wet. fifty words can be too much sometimes!

Submitted by Mark L from weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a great rec hydration system. I got one to see if i would like somehing like this, instead of a couple of water bottles. I put water gatorade in the pack & it has been great. I've had mine for about 3-4 months. Not a problem. I have one big complaint the DAMN bite valve leeaks like crazy. I guess I will get a different valve from blackurn........ I give it 4.5 chillies for a great pack for the person that does not want to spend too much money & decide they hate the pack...........

Submitted by Rollingbones a weekend warrior from Fair Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had mine for over a year now and really like it. FOR ME...it holds the right amount of water and has the right amount of storage. In the top pouch I carry some first aid supplies. In the middle pouch I have two tire levers, a small tube of tri-flo, a patch kit, a way-too-coo-tool, a leatherman mini-tool and a spare bandanna. The bottom holds a couple of energy snacks and a spare tube for long rides. The pump pouch was about 1 1/2 in. too short for my blackburn mammouth mtn. pump. All I had to do there was extend the velcro a bit, which worked great. I also added a mesh belt, which was very easy to do. The main thing that sucked was the bit valve, which I replaced with the blackburn model. During rides I hardly notice it's there until I need water or something else. I think it's a great system for recreational use. It's also great for doing trail work. I imagine it'll be handy for other things as well. I give it four chilies.

Submitted by CT a weekend warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Good value when on sale for under $30.To the hardcore racers, you guys should probably stay away from this. It is suited for entry level, non nonsense use. It does the bottom line: holds water, provides a drink while pedalling, holds more water than 2 bottles. No nonsense and good value does not mean high tech features such as a super valve, large storage, racer image sponsored riders etc.. No belt strap included, no sternum included (very easy to make your own though), straps and pad are no snug. The newer bladders of poly make it stiffer than the older bladders too. Luckily I got 3 when Performance cleared them out for the poly ones. ($9.95 ea)Storage is not the greatest which is why I am switching to the Mule or Hawy (100oz of water and 5x the space) because I go on some pretty long rides where the extra water is nice and the space for food. We currently have 2 which will eventually become out packs for hiking and camping use.Bottom line is if you want it to be inexpensive it is recommendable. For the value 5, features 4.

Submitted by mike a cross-country rider from Wooster, OH

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

*****************Having problems cleaning your Camelbak?******************** First: DO NOT BUY THOSE EXPENSIVE CLEANING PRODUCTS!!!!!!! Instead of that $15 device that effectively dries out your bladder, USE A BENT HANGER!
Second:when cleaning your bladder, do not buy those expensive cleaners or even soap. The former doesn't leave a residue, but using Palmolive will leave an aftertaste of soap for about 20-30 uses. Instead, let the fungus sit in ARM'N'HAMMER baking soda for a few hours. No nasty aftertaste, and all the fungus is gone.
Source:I haven't learned these things from wasting money, I just listened to my mother who has cleaned things effiecientlt much longer than I have been alive. Try it, it works!!!

Submitted by AnDreW a racer from VA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a nice pack for the price. It's similar to the CamelBak Mule, only it cost less, has more organized pockets for the neat freak in all of us. Mine came with a 70-ounces resevoir, and the bite valve on it sucked (no pun intended) but can be easily replaced with a bigger resevoir and a better bite valve.

Submitted by George Lackey a weekend warrior from San Angelo, TX

Date Reviewed: January 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

This hydration system has several problems. First, the bite valve is very stingy. If you are trying to get a drink out of this thing, you have to suck so hard that your eyes will cross and your ears will pop. Then when your drink is finished, the valve will dribble water on your clothes for a while. That's not so bad in hot weather, but most of us don't enjoy being wet in the wintertime. After a few months of use the problem of the bite valve resolved itself when the bladder simply burst down a split side seam and the whole thing ended up in the local landfill. Skip this turkey, pay a few extra bucks for a CamelBak, and get your money's worth.

Submitted by cg a weekend warrior from sf,ca

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

the monsoon spinal pak works for me...i haven't had any problems with it since i bought it about 8 months ago...it organizes everything and holds enought h2o to get me through a couple of hours. got it for 32 bucks complete w/o the waist belt...it fits fine and is comfortable to wear...the only thing i would change would be the bite valve...i could use more flow with less effort...otherwise, a great deal...i'll probably get a camelback or blackburn bladder once this one dies on me...

Submitted by Booty a weekend warrior from morgan city, LA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought the Performance Monsoon Peak hydrapack. Got it on sale through Performance mail order for 34.99. The belt cost an extra 4.99. S+H 2nd day delivery cost 7.40. Total $47.38. The first time I opened the velcro mesh pocket the velcro came unstitched. Not good. The stitch on the bungee cord that is used to hold the drinking straw on the shoulder harness is about to break. Too bad. The pack looks nice and does a good job keeping your drink cool. The tool pouch keeps all your stuff organized and tight. I'm happy with the way it works, it's just that it could have been put together a little nicer.

Submitted by Marco a cross-country rider from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1997

Bottom Line:

The system works OK, but the bladder--sheesh --I've had it three months and it still tastes like a beach ball. Stick to Camelbak!

Submitted by Alphonsus Cheng a cross-country rider from San Ramon, CA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1996

Bottom Line:

Performance's Spinal Pack is a lower quality, less expensive alternative to the Camelback. For $50 you get the bladder, an insulating sleeve as well as the backpack. For the money you get a 2 zippered compartments (one of which has slots for tools and such), a velcro'd pump compartment, a mesh pocket which is great for Clif bars/Power bars and also an elastic strap which I use to strap down a jacket or leg warmers, etc. If you're still using water bottles but want to move up to the convenience and carrying capacity of a hydration system without shelling out megabucks for a Camelback, then this is the perfect choice. However the quality of the Spinal Pack is a little less than desireable. For instance it is less comfortable than the Pakster. The shoulder strap pads are a little thin and after a while the webbed straps of the pack itself start to rub and irritate your shoulders. After about three rides, the stitching on the shoulder strap pads came off and the webbed strap started to really bug. The Bite Valve is also not as easy to use as the Camelback's. One option may be to use a Camelback bladder with your Spinal Pack. But if I were to buy a hydration system armed with what I now know, I'd go with a Camelback Pakster or Mule.

Submitted by Mike Marinshaw a cross-country rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1996

Bottom Line:

The spinal pack is OK, but I would buy the Camelback if I had to do it again. The bite valve is not easy to use and leaks a few drops after each drink. I did get used to the valve and it was OK. However, the quality of the product is less that satisfactory. After finishing my first ride with the system (a RACE!), one of the strap's stitching came out. Luckily the race was over. I had it sewn and that was OK. Then the bladder seam ruptured on a ride, imagine 71 oz of cold water running down your shorts. I replaced it with a camelback bladder and I'm waiting for Performance to send me a refund. As for storage, the camelback packster holds more stuff.

Submitted by Nelson Ho a cross-country rider from Potomac, MD

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1996

Bottom Line:

he Spinal Pack Hydration System by Performance is more or less the same thing as
the Camelback systems. The Spinal Pack's bladder holds 71oz of fluid and is made with
FDA approved material. The bladder is inserted into a silver-colored (reflects heat)
insulated pouch, which can be carried alone without the Spinal Pack. You could also
insert this whole thing into the Spinal Pack and have a nice backpack system.
The Spinal Pack comes with a top mesh pocket, a pump sleeve, a middle tool pocket with
tool organizer elastic loops, and a bottom zippered pocket. It has wide, padded
shoulder straps. I have been extremely satisfied with this system and I recommend it
to anyone.

The drawback I've found is the fit of my Mammoth Mtn Pump in the pump sleeve. Since this
pump is somewhat larger and longer than other mini pumps, the sleeve is too narrow to
insert the pump valve-side down. So, the valve must be on top and sticking out, since the pump
is longer than the sleeve and the top velcro closure can't cover it. This can
cause the pump to work it way loose and fall off while you ride. A simple solution is to use
a rubberband and tie it around the pump and around the velcro closure tab. Viola, it takes 2 seconds
to remove the pump and it's also secured.
The Spinal Pack (including bladder and insulated pouch) is $49.99.
Waist strap is optional $5.