Pedros USA Milk Bottle cage Water Carrier

2.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Pedros USA Milk Bottle cage

Submitted by aau27x a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
These things are lethal - to the reviewer who ended up with a damaged chainwheel etc.: consider yourself lucky! The bottom "support" on my cage broke, releasing the bottle into the path of my rear wheel (the cage being mounted outside the frame, rather than inside its circumference, as would be the case in an average road bike), which bucked me over the handlebars - in short, a concussion, broken ankle and a pelvis fracture; two months off work (the good bit) or anything else for that matter (the bad bit). Keep away from this rubbish. I can only imagine in heavy traffic I would have been roadkill. I understand these cages are made from recycled plastic; whether its a combination of this and poor design, I don't know, but I'd stick to recycled materials where engineering is not vital. In a more litigious arena (the US?) I'd have my lawyers onto this, but...

Purchased At:   Tamworth Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   10 or so different brands;

Bike Setup:   mountain/road cross-over

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2003

Strengths:    Very light.

Weaknesses:    Extremely weak. Very flexy (makes it hard to find the cage if you are not looking at it).

Bottom Line:
I used these for the first time on my Santana Sovereign. I should have known after using Milk Levers (snapped almost immediately). Milk jugs are great for hauling milk, and maybe for other thinks, but not for bicycle parts. I had a serious problem using these on a tandem as you are not as able to take your hands off bars and/or eyes off road given the weight and speeds. I used 'em one season and as we speak just received a set of 4 Profile Kages ($2.99 each at Price Point). I suppose I'll throw em in the tool box but the instinct is to pitch em. If I was building an ultralight single, I might consider such a featherlight cage again, but never for anything else. (especially not a mountain bike). I'll rate them a good value (they are really cheap) but only fair for purpose as they are just too flimsy for most of us.

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lake

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Profile Kage (my favorite)

Bike Setup:   Various

Submitted by Tom Schutz a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight.
Recycled material.
Cheap.
Held my bottle tightly.

Weaknesses:    Mine broke while riding: while bombing over some stutter bumps, the tab at the bottom of the cage (that contacts the bottom of the water bottle)snapped off, the bottle shot out of the bottom of the cage, hit my chainwheel and broke.
Also, although it holds the bottle tightly, it's hard to slide my bottle in.

Bottom Line:
Fine for road riding and probably most trail riding, but watch out if you slam your bike around a bit.

Favorite Trail:   SDF

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   metal cages

Submitted by Seb Wiers a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, Minnesotta, USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, recycled material, looks

Weaknesses:    Weakness, difficulty removing bottle, really weak, breaks in cold, weak

Bottom Line:
The FSR has louse bottle mount locations, and I push it ptretty hard. Still, the thing broke the first time I went out riding with a full bottle in it. Maybe my rear wheel hit it on a big drop, but I don't think so, and it wasn't that cold out. Fortunately, I was night riding with the Minneapolis Mafia, and they had plenty of beer.

Actually, the holder was OK when I was riding around with a few tools in my (empty) water bottle. For that purpose, you can't beat the light weight and low cost. But it would be a better product if it could hold water!

Favorite Trail:   whatever

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   metal cages

Bike Setup:   '00 Rockhopper FSR A1 w/ most components replaced - "poor mans" enduro

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    Light

Bottom Line:
I got these cages when I got my bike in 1995 to do Habitat for Humanity's "Cycle of Hope" from Winnipeg, Canada (3 hours North of Fargo) to L.A. (2500 miles in 28 days). They've been great. I can understand the rough terrain frustration - use 'em on the road and it's pure light-weight joy.

Bike Setup:   1995 Trek 2300 (Aluminum lugged Carbon Fiber), Air Strykes, Spinergy's, Fast Forward Seat Stem, Dr. Minkow's Specialized, Speed Plays.

Submitted by Steve Sullivan a Cross-Country Rider from Cumberland, MD

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1999

Strengths:
Light

Weaknesses:
Does not hold bottles over rough terrain

Bottom Line:
Yes, they are light. They're even lighter after they (frequently) eject your bottles or battery pack. Damn my bike feels light. Damn I'm climbing good. Damn it's hot. Damn I'm thirsty. Damn it's dark. Damn damn damn! I guess if you ride a lot of hard pack or NEVER dab, these are a very light alternative to traditional gages. Nah.

1 Year

Standard cages

99 Trek 8000

Submitted by conan a Cross-Country Rider from mountain view, CA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1999

Strengths:
light 28g
somewhat flexible

Weaknesses:
none so far
perhaps too flexible, may not survive a crash
hard to find - only nashbar had em

Bottom Line:
what's black, weighs 28g and is made of 100% recycled milk bottles?
awesome cage - my favorite component on the bike

3 months

blackburn alloys
specialized etc

trek 8900 aluminium hardtail with 2 traditional cage mounts (downtube and seatpost tube)