Pakster Pakster Water Carrier

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

Pakster

Submitted by Tommyboy a Cross Country Rider from Boulder

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Perfect for cross country riding

Weaknesses:    The velcro at the top and having to jam the bladder in

Bottom Line:
I use a HAWG for skiing and hiking, but the Pakster is perfect for a day of riding. The pump I have fits perfectly, the pockets are just the right size for tools and a spare tube. I strap a jacket or vest on the back. I have used mine for about 7 years and have not found a better product for what I use it for. I take chilis off for the velcro and the shoving the bladder thing, but I can easily live with both. I love my HAWG but find that it is too much for just a ride.

Similar Products Used:   HAWG and other lesset brands of water packs

Bike Setup:   B-stone MB-4 and Spec S-Works FSR

Submitted by Hagar a Weekend Warrior from Howick, South Africa

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1999

Strengths:
If you want something carried, the Pakster can do it.

Weaknesses:
None that I've come across.

Bottom Line:
This is something I will never ride without. The main zippered pocket has more that enough space for a spare tube, bombs, patch kit, multi tool, keys and anything else I might want to put in there. The stretchies and elastic straps are great for holding down an extra layer of clothing and my mini-pump. And then there's still the cargo mesh for anything from lunch or a camera to luch AND a camera! And after 2 years of riding just about every weekend and often during the week, it's still like new!(Except for the mud stains of course). The Pakster can have all the rating stars it can get...

2 Years

Saddle bags that keep busting at the seams and unzipping them selves...

Submitted by Simon a weekend warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Pakster is good only if you already have a Camelbak. It has no carrying straps and has to be used together with a Camelbak.Mine has served me well but I think that others have improved over the Pakster, such as HAWG and other brands.
The slim narrow profile and mesh back helps to keep temperatures down. We all know how good it is, so I'll just rather list my gripes:(1) With a full waterbag, the velcro at the top opening pulls off too easily
(2) Zippered pocket a little too small
(3) You have to force the waterbag down the narrow top opening. Newer models of watercarrier systems have zippers which allow you to open it wider for easier access
(4) Cargo mesh a little too short for most mini pumps.

Submitted by michael a cross-country rider from san diego

Date Reviewed: May 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

Great product. A must for all Camelback owners. Straps and zippers need to be a little heavier. Mine broke after about two years. One of the great things about it is I was able to get rid on my saddle bag and save a little bike weight. When this one bites it I will buy another.

Submitted by mike a cross-country rider from Wooster, OH

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

*****************Having problems cleaning your Camelbak?******************** First: DO NOT BUY THOSE EXPENSIVE CLEANING PRODUCTS!!!!!!! Instead of that $15 device that effectively dries out your bladder, USE A BENT HANGER!
Second:when cleaning your bladder, do not buy those expensive cleaners or even soap. The former doesn't leave a residue, but using Palmolive will leave an aftertaste of soap for about 20-30 uses. Instead, let the fungus sit in ARM'N'HAMMER baking soda for a few hours. No nasty aftertaste, and all the fungus is gone.
Source:I haven't learned these things from wasting money, I just listened to my mother who has cleaned things effiecientlt much longer than I have been alive. Try it, it works!!!

Submitted by charlie a racer from texas

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I damn sure like mine. I use it when I'm on my longer rides so I can carry gels, energy bars and and extra extra tubes and tools. My only complaint with the pakster was easily remedied with some thread, a needle and velcro. I sewed velcro to the top of the mesh portion of the bag and the bag itself. This allows you to carry objects in there without them bouncing out. Excellent product that I am glad I bought.

Submitted by David a cross-country rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: November 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

The packster is one of the best things to buy to improve your ride. I can carry all the essentials with me (that is including lunch). Over last summer, I went on a camping trip/mountain bike trip with 3 of my best friends. The camelback was the most useful item I took (other than the tent). I was the only one in the group who had a camelback and I was the only one who didn't run out of water. If the rest of my friends had camelbacks we wouldn't have had to go back to our camp site to get refills. And as for food and tools the packster carried a whole days supply of energy snacks and tools. It is the ultimate way to ride!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Matt DeWitt a weekend warrior from Jenison,MI

Date Reviewed: January 11, 1997

Bottom Line:

It works excellent!! Slips right over my existing pack.I carry a pump,spare tube
,granola bars,keys,patch kit,and some first aid. It works great. No more but bag bouncing around. Its all there ,I just fill my water bladder and go.Everything is organized.

Submitted by Luther E. Solomon a cross-country rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1996

Bottom Line:

What a Product!! Before finding this gadget I had a Saddle Pack. Try jamming a Sweatshirt into that, what with a wallet, pager, tools, patch kit, and keys. With the Pakster I am able to put it on my back, which reduces saddle rattle, or the noise from the pack, and it is not inconvienent. I recommend this product to all that are battling with the problem of where to put things (while riding, that is)!

Submitted by Mike Karnes a racer from Powell, Tn

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1996

Bottom Line:

model: Narrow Guage

This pack will hold everything. It will hold two full bladders and one half
bladder of fluid. I use it in the winter to carry water, 2 jackets, extra
socks, extra gloves, and all the tools I need. It has a very nice and wide
stabilizer belt, though I rarely need it. It's really too big to use during a
race, but any othrt time it's great.

Submitted by Chris Yip a downhiller from arcadia ca

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1996

Bottom Line:

I think the packster is cool because you can stick all of your crap in it. One of
the coolest things is sticking a walkman in the back. The only bad thing is the
price.

Submitted by Rob a cross-country rider from Misssissippi

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1996

Bottom Line:

If you have a Camelbak and are wise enough to carry essentials on the trail, go
buy this. It's not much more expensive than a good seat wedge pack but can
carry far more, with two zipper pouches, expanding mesh top pocket, bungee cord
loop, and mini-pump pocket (my pump is now grit-free when I need it -- what a
difference), Also with all these compartments, tools won't mash the fig bars.

One more thing: buy a space blanket ($2), stuff it in the small bottom pocket,
and forget it's there until you Really Need It.

Submitted by Francis a Norba racer from Campbell, CA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

If you own a camelback and like the concept, RUN don't walk to the store
and get one of these. It carries my keys, tools, pump, and jacket, powerbars. Forget
that fanny pack and that little saddle bag. Stick it all in the pakster!!!