Osprey Packs Zealot 16 Water Carrier

When you have to get your fix, load up the biker-specific Osprey Zealot 16 Hydration Pack and go out in search of vertical. A generously sized main compartment to hold your gear, touches like a removable roll-out tool pouch and a full-face helmet carrier, and the Osprey Hydraform hydration system make this pack a must-have for downhill fanatics.Airscape suspension features ridge-molded foam that creates a lightweight yet supportive and ventilated back panelBiostretch ventilated harness features perforated EVA straps covered by soft, breathable spacer mesh for maximum breathabilityPadded spacer mesh hip-wings on the waist belt add carrying comfort and include zippered pocketsHydration sleeve has elastic cord compression to keep water under pressureHydraform reservoir is BPA- and PVC-free, and features an AquaGuard antimicrobial treatment to prevent growth of bacteria and moldIntegral framesheet in reservoir prevents barreling, while a rigid handles allows for easy insertion and removal in the pack180-degree pivot bite valve rotates on and off in either direction, and includes magnet that attaches to sternum strapReflective details improve nighttime visibilityZip and drop-in pockets on the shoulder straps keep essentials in easy reach

Submitted by El Train

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    Fit is outstanding. Dissappears when on. Great pad carrying pocket. Tool pocket in the bottom.

Weaknesses:    Price. Could be cheaper. I found one for 90 bucks on sale. Phone pocket on left strap barely fits iphone 5.

Bottom Line:
This pack is awesome.
Pockets are well laid out.
Holds knee pads in the back very well.
The mesh side pockets are useable while it is on which is a super bonus.
The belt pockets are a bit of a funny triangle shape but useful for a snack bar or keys.
I really like the bottom tool pocket for tubes and tools, which keeps the weight low.
The fit is really they best thing though. I pretty much forget its on when I am wearing it.
Iphone goes in the phone pocket and is easy access for taking pictures. Iphone 5 nearly doesn't fit though, i have to leave the zipper open a little bit, but not a big deal.
It's burly too, I probably never have to buy another riding pack after this. I had an old Mule and a Dakine Helipro for longer rides but this smokes them bigtime. Plus lifetime guarantee, you can't go wrong.

Submitted by yeti4ever

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2012

Strengths:    Great idea. Knee and elbow pads (both hard and soft ones) can be stowed on the outside. Can hook up DH, AM, XC helmets on the back of the pack. Tool and tubes can be stored separate from the main compartment which is a handy feature. No need to open main compartment to get to tools, tubes, etc. Fabric material is tougher than other models in their line-up. Shoulder straps are now thicker and beefier.

Weaknesses:    Not enough internal pockets for other stuff like cellphone / wallet / electronics. Although they do have an external pocket for sunglasses, to put cellphone, wallet, camera, and other stuff along with sunglasses in that one external pocket is sacrilege. (Sunglasses and camera may get scratched up). Bladder is separated from main compartment by a paper thin fabric material. Inside the main compartment, there are no pockets, so you have to throw everything in the main compartment and dig it out. Have a hard time to open zipper in tool compartment; Major design flaw as zippers are meant to open straight up and down and this compartment is in shape of an oval. No airspeed suspension for the back.

Bottom Line:
I love Osprey packs; don't get me wrong. I got their manta 25 and 30. With the zealot 16, Osprey totally screwed it up. I was totally excited when I got this pack and only to be disappointed. I got mine from Chain Reaction Cycles and to return it to the UK costs me 40 bucks. So I'm stuck with this pack. Although having a better fabric is a good thing, Osprey screwed up by not putting a lot of pockets like they are known for. The Zealot has only one pocket compartment. Geez, you mean I'm gonna throw my shades, wallet, cellphone, and camera all in the same compartment and risk scratching up my shades? Come on osprey, what were you guys thinking? And the thing that gets me the most is they did not have the airspeed suspension on the Zealot. This pack is just like any camelbacks, it's just like a plain backpack. The airspeed suspension, like in their Raptor and Manta models, is a rigid suspension system that they invented that allows space between your back and the pack, the end result is a drier and more comfortable back. I used the Zealot on several rides and noticed immediately that when I remove the pack, my shirt (back side) is totally drenched. I never had that issue with my Mantas. Also, what irks me is what separates the bladder and the main compartment is a paper thin fabric. So when I put my cellphone or other electronics in the main compartment, it gets cold and probably absorbs moisture from the bladder (I put lots of ice in my bladder). Overall, Osprey is a good company, but this is their Waterloo. It seems like they cut corners and came out with this product for the sake of making a buck from the All-mountain crowd. Only worthy note are the external pockets to stow hard/soft shell knee, shin, and elbow pads. As for the design (or drawing?), they have an exploded view of a bike frame. What's up with that? I like my packs simple. I'd rather them not have any diagrams on my pack. Just keep it simple. I'm just disappointed with the Zealot. If I can return this item, I would. Osprey, are you listening?

Zealot 16 vs. Raptor 14

I'm looking for a bigger pack that can hold pads, lots of water, and gear for longer, 5-6hr backcountry-type rides. I dig the Osprey warranty, but am open to other suggestions, but am interested to know if anyone feels one way or another between these two. Thanks!Read More »

Osprey Zealot 16

First off, if this is the wrong forum for this post, I apologize and mods, please feel free to move. I looked through and don't know where else to post. I received the Zealot 16 from relative around Christmas. I love the pack but it is just TOO BIG for my needs. Coming from an Osprey Viper 7 (to ... Read More »

Osprey Zealot 16 hydration pack 45% off!

$82 bucks, free shipping. just got one. [url=http://www.6pm.com/osprey-zealot-16?zfcTest=mat%3A1]Osprey Zealot 16 - 6pm.com[/url]Read More »