Osprey Packs Viper 7 Water Carrier

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The versatile Osprey Viper 7 hydration pack is for the rider who wants a minimal, lightweight design without sacrificing any benefits. Intuitive design holds everything you need and keeps it all handy for when you need it.

Submitted by Steve a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable. Quality construction (the pack, not the bladder). Nice looks.

Weaknesses:    Bite valve started leaking after two months of light use.

Bottom Line:
It's a nice enough pack and very comfortable. The intenral pockets are a bit odd, there seems to be two pockets sized for a mini pump, who carries two pumps? But I guess you don't have to use them. The pack is also just a bit short for my Blackburn Mammoth pump, so you'll need a medium sized mini pump at the most.
Disappointingly the bite valve started dripping. This is an absolute deal breaker. Because the pack is designed for use with the magnetic bite valve I'm effectively forced to replace the valve with the same inferior design. I don't want to be riding in the cold with a wet leg or in the heat with an empty bladder. A real shame because I liked this pack otherwise.

Similar Products Used:   Many.

Submitted by TiGeo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    Great pack. Magnetic bite valve is wonderful - no more hose bouncing around. Just the right amount of pack space for a 2 hour ride. Bladder comes out easily.

Weaknesses:    None beyond getting used to using the magnetic bite valve system.

Bottom Line:
Pack is great, would highly recommend. Nice and minimalistic while still giving you plenty of room for all the gear necessary for a 2 hour ride. I always trim all of the straps as they come WAY long. I like the fact that the bladder is under pressure due to the design and you just bite and it flows. Again, the magnet on the bite tube is great, no tube bouncing all over.

Favorite Trail:   Pocahantas State Park

Duration Product Used:   6 mos.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Several models of Camelbak. Been using hydration packs since the mid-90s. Used bottles too for a period.

Bike Setup:   2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29 HT

Osprey: Viper 4/7 ... Raptor 6

I've been a Camelbak guy in the past but not real happy with my latest Mule. Osprey paks seem to get good reviews so I thought about giving them a shot for next purchase. I'm looking to pick up a smaller & lighter pak to use during weekly fun rides and xc racing. So far have it narrowed down to the ... Read More »

Hayes 7" Brakes wont fit on Yakima Viper QR.

I just up graded my Hayes 6" HFX to Stroker 7" Trails. Now the forks dont fit on my Yakima Viper QR mounts. Oh it kinda fits, but not tight enough!!! Ask me how I know this. Any ideas?Read More »