Osprey Packs Viper 7 Water Carrier

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The versatile Osprey Viper 7 hydration pack is for the rider who wants a minimal, lightweight design without sacrificing any benefits. Intuitive design holds everything you need and keeps it all handy for when you need it.

Submitted by TheHamster a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2017

Strengths:    Highest quality materials, zippers, and construction. Unbelievable number of adjustments allow a perfect fit and extremely comfortable. Load lifter straps. Nalgene reservoir and high flow hose/bite valve.

Weaknesses:    Extremely thin waist strap and no provisions to fasten the excess strap lengths--so they flop in the wind. It's a bit small for anything over a 2 hour ride. No rain cover.

Bottom Line:
I have been using this little pack since I bought it new in 2012 to support IMBA. I have the IMBA embroidered logo version. It is by far one of the best made cycling hydration packs I have used. You would not expect load lifter adjusting straps in a pack of this size but it has them, allowing me to completely dial the fit according to what I am carrying. I put quite a bit of weight in it and don't know it's there most of the time--very comfortable and streamlined. Although it came with a 2L reservoir, it will take a 3L; but this will decrease gear carrying capacity further. The material is thick and tough with internal pockets for 2 pumps and tools--one for your tires and one for your fork/shock. It also has a clip for your keys. There is more than enough space for a full 2L of water and everything I need on most rides 2-3 hours. You can tie your jacket/extra layers with the external bungee cord but if you want to take a good lunch along it might be a bit small. It has been fantastic in every way other than the small size--but that is not the pack's fault. Although I have purchased larger packs for longer rides, I like this pack so much I will continue to use it. It is my go to pack for shorter mountain rides and gravel/road riding in predictable, stable weather where I don't need to carry too many things or extra clothing. Love the dark blue color. Highly recommended!

Favorite Trail:   The one I am on

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   IMBA

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Narrow Guage--other Camelbaks.

Bike Setup:   FS 26er. FS 29er, Hardtail 29er. Various cross bikes.

Submitted by Steve a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable. Quality construction (the pack, not the bladder). Nice looks.

Weaknesses:    Bite valve started leaking after two months of light use.

Bottom Line:
It's a nice enough pack and very comfortable. The intenral pockets are a bit odd, there seems to be two pockets sized for a mini pump, who carries two pumps? But I guess you don't have to use them. The pack is also just a bit short for my Blackburn Mammoth pump, so you'll need a medium sized mini pump at the most.
Disappointingly the bite valve started dripping. This is an absolute deal breaker. Because the pack is designed for use with the magnetic bite valve I'm effectively forced to replace the valve with the same inferior design. I don't want to be riding in the cold with a wet leg or in the heat with an empty bladder. A real shame because I liked this pack otherwise.

Similar Products Used:   Many.

Submitted by TiGeo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    Great pack. Magnetic bite valve is wonderful - no more hose bouncing around. Just the right amount of pack space for a 2 hour ride. Bladder comes out easily.

Weaknesses:    None beyond getting used to using the magnetic bite valve system.

Bottom Line:
Pack is great, would highly recommend. Nice and minimalistic while still giving you plenty of room for all the gear necessary for a 2 hour ride. I always trim all of the straps as they come WAY long. I like the fact that the bladder is under pressure due to the design and you just bite and it flows. Again, the magnet on the bite tube is great, no tube bouncing all over.

Favorite Trail:   Pocahantas State Park

Duration Product Used:   6 mos.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Several models of Camelbak. Been using hydration packs since the mid-90s. Used bottles too for a period.

Bike Setup:   2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29 HT