Osprey Packs Raptor 14 Water Carrier

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

In a class by itself, the Osprey Raptor 14 is a great long haul pack for an all day adventure on your favorite single track.

Submitted by Krell a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2014

Strengths:    Actually ventilates, So comfortable you 'forget' about it. Stable on the rough stuff
Holds everything my 2011 HAWG held (impressive). Quality construction, creative innovations

Weaknesses:    Flow from bite valve could be greater. Wish the hose would detach at the bladder base.

Bottom Line:
This product is so good I had to review it. The shoulder straps of my last pack would actually bruise my pectorals from long rides, across rough stuff when packing heavy trail tools. After several dozen rides bruising is no longer an issue with the Osprey. The shoulder straps fit better without restricting chest expansion. The Osprey14 has multiple smaller compartments instead of fewer large compartments. It may take a bit to explore the pack and find the most efficient way to stow your gear. There is a large open center compartment - great for stashing over-sized stuff but I can't help but suspect that the open center compartment will fill with precipitation during a downpour. I increasingly appreciated the 14's features with each use.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Online retailer

Similar Products Used:   2008, 2011 CamelBak Hawg,

Submitted by moonlite

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2013

Strengths:    All the features this pack has including the ability to solidly hold a ff helmet

Bottom Line:
See my post on the thread about this pack and the Raptor 10.

Submitted by johnhitt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Seemed right that I join the chorus and sing the praises of the Osprey Raptor 14. A mid size pack that does it all. Most of the time I ride with a 50oz hip mounted hydration bag from camelbak. But when things get seroius and I know that when the trek is on, the epic is coming I break out this pack, Comfort is excellent, bite valve is solid, ventilation is excellent. Thoughtful engineering oozes from this pack, so much so, the competition copies their feature concepts. Helmut lock is a winner.

Weaknesses:    None to think of.

Bottom Line:
Quality Construction, Creative Engineering , Excellt Service. Good looking too.

Favorite Trail:   Flume

Purchased At:   North of the Border

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak

Bike Setup:   C-Dale - RZ 120, Spynergy Xcyclones, Rockshox Reverb, Sram X9, Continental Trail King.

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable. Large capacity. Effective ventilation

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This pack has no negative aspects for me. Trust me, I have about 8 CamelBaks by now, and this one puts them all to shame. Large capacity and a effective ventilation required features in Arizona, but I never had it great til now. This pack outperforms anything I have ever tried.

Submitted by photodog

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2012

Strengths:    Very well made and some great innovations (like the ventilated foam on the shoulder straps that actually breath), nicely thought out

Weaknesses:    No cutout for your spine so it might not fit you

Bottom Line:
I LOVE my Osprey 35L pack for weekend backpacking trips so figured after 15 years of Camelbak's it was time for a change. In the store I loved everything about it. Roomie, well made, comfortable and some features from the best backpacking packs.

Take it out on a ride and after 30 minutes it actually wore into my spine so badly I was bleeding. No joke. When I am leaned over on my bike one of my vertebrate sticks out a little under the pack. On a Camelbak there is a cutout so nothing actually touches your spine. This pack has a mesh that was like rubbing 20 grit sandpaper on my back! Such a bummer as otherwise it's a really nice pack. I will say I'm not a fan of their bit valve with that hard plastic part in it.

If they could fix the spinal pading and put a regular bite valve this would for sure be the ultimate pack. As is, I can't give more than 2 stars. Please Osprey, if you read this, put in a "channel" for people's spines! Unlike a backpacking pack we are hunched over so our spines can stick up a bit!

Submitted by BmoreKen a All Mountain Rider from Ellicott City, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, lots of room to stow gear (extra socks, jacket, arm warmers, leg warmers, food, phone, plus tube, pump, etc.), stays in place better than other packs (e.g.. when rolling logs), higher water flow rate than others, magnetic holder is nice, lifetime guarantee,

Weaknesses:    Interior chamber pump pockets and mesh pocket are too deep.

Hip pockets are useless, since it's easy for most objects to fall out - needs a top flap to secure contents.

Would be nice to have a built-in rain cover that could be deployed when necessary.

Detachable hose would be nice, too.

Bottom Line:
The Osprey Raptor 14 fits a lot of gear - I can easily fit an extra pair of socks, leg warmers, vest, arm warmers, plus tools, tube, etc. and food. And it is a very comfortable pack - sufficient air flow across the back, and the straps are very comfortable, more comfortable IMO than the Camelbak Lobo while keeping the pack from moving around when moving through technical terrain (steep log rollers or drops, for example).

The magnetic bite valve thing is nice. I didn't think I'd care too much about it, but I've grown to like it. High water flow rate is nice, too. Also, for years I setup my packs with the tube routing on the left side so I was worried that the Raptor only allows for routing on the right, but I quickly got used to it and no problems there.

Easy to fill up with water, i.e. not a hassle since the reservoir has a rigid structure. My old Camelbak Mule was a PITA.

Lifetime warranty: The magnetic sternum strap clip somehow broke but Osprey quickly sent a replacement, no problems.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Osprey Raptor 14, and I highly recommend it to others.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Mule, Camelbak Lobo

Bike Setup:   Doesn't matter

Submitted by Mika Schick a Cross Country Rider from London, England

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2012

Strengths:    Very comfortable, fantastic water bladder, versatile.

Weaknesses:    No rain cover

Bottom Line:
Have been riding with this bag for about half a year now and I like it a lot. It almost disappears on my back, it is so comfortable. You can see that they put a lot of thought into this product. It is large enough for a whole day ride for me, and I can fit my D200 camera in there (just) when needed. Very well thought out compression straps keep the bag stable for short rides when it is almost empty.
The bladder is fantastic with a good water flow through the mouth piece. It is a breeze to fill the bladder even when the bag is packed to the limit as the bladder goes in and out of the bag easily. The separate water compartment is stiff and is not affected by the rest of the bag which keeps it comfortable regardless of the volume of the pack.
The bag is well made with solid stitches and good materials. As to how well it will hold out, only time will tell, but it looks and feels solid. All in all, a very versatile bag that can be used from short to all day and maybe longer rides.
The only drawback is that it does not have a rain cover and the material is not very waterproof so if you are out there on rainy days, get a separate rain cover for it.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever rolls under my wheels

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Camelback and some custom made bags

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Submitted by kdb3i a Cross Country Rider from Telluride, CO

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2011

Strengths:    Design is well thought out for riders and the bladder design and separate pocket are the best I have used.

Weaknesses:    I would like to see a separate rain cover available. The pack functions very well in most conditions, but having gotten caught in a torrential downpour, I found the contents were damp or wet.

Bottom Line:
This is a great pack. I need a slight larger one for all day rides when you have to be prepared for anything. When carrying rain gear, tools, food and extra clothing it is just too tight for me. I'm 6'2", so my clothing takes up more space than it might if you are a smaller rider.

Favorite Trail:   Prospect

Purchased At:   Jagged Edge

Similar Products Used:   Camel Back

Bike Setup:   Spec. S-Works Epic 29er, 2011 and Spec FSR Stumpjumper 29er, 2008

Submitted by teelow a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    - Well organized storage
- highly adjustable fit, keeps weight on hips
- good bladder design
- bite valve stores on magnet mounted to sternum strap

Weaknesses:    - bite valve leaks

Bottom Line:
Overall, I really like this pack. The Osprey 14 is the right size for me. I can carry all my tools, spare parts, food, phone, jacket, etc. The adjustments and support system also work well so that even when full of water, I don't notice the weight. There are several pockets and storage areas, which I like. There is a place for tools, pump, energy bars, padded pocket for phone, etc. The bladder design is also nice, with a rigid frame on the side closest to your back to keep it from feeling like an overstuffed sausage when you fill it. My only complaints about this pack are that when I bounce over terrain it sometimes shifts on my back more than my Camelbak Mule seemed to - although I may just not have the straps adjusted quite right. The other complaint is that my bite valve seems to leak. I have to make sure I turn it to the "off" position when I put it in my car or sometimes it seems to drip quite a bit. Not sure if this is common or just my particular valve. Overall, though, I am quite happy with it and would buy another.

Purchased At:   EMS