Osprey Packs Raptor 10 Water Carrier

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Like nothing you've seen before, the Osprey Raptor 10 offers streamlined organization with enough room for extra food and layers. Ideally sized for everyday riding, the lower, side compression straps keep the load close to your back while a stretch woven front pocket stashes extra gear.

Submitted by centralcalcoast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2013

Strengths:    the pack hugs your back and has plenty of room for all your gear, even loaded down I didn't experience any pressure on my back or fatigue .

Bottom Line:
the2013 upgrades osprey did on these packs was perfect I tried the camelbaks and chose the osprey over them ........................camelbak my have been the pioneer of hydration packs but osprey perfected it !

Submitted by Jamesm925 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Strengths:    doesn't move around or bounce on your back.
holds enough water for a 5 hour ride.
great organization of pockets.
love the magnetic valve.
well ventilated. heat wasnt a problem in 80F weather.

Weaknesses:    valve sits at a weird angle for me when in my mouth. seems a tad too long in the tube.
while padded, I could feel the plastic brace on the bladder putting pressure on my lower spine. turns out it wasn't that bad after a 3 hour ride, but definitely annoying.
I dont know if I had the pack adjusted incorrectly, but I developed nerve pain around the area b/t my right scapula and spine.

Bottom Line:
I'm a road rider turned MTB-er and have never used packs outside of hiking. So I didn't have high expectations coming into this, but I was pleasantly surprised that the pack stayed put, and the extra weight was barely noticeable.

I'm going to give this a few more rides to review. I still prefer riding w/o a pack for the freedom, but drinking water bottles on a rocky trail is an exercise in frustration. That, and I didn't have to ration my water like I normally do on my road bike. So I stayed much more hydrated than I normally am.

I tested the pack on an 80F day riding in the pine forests, and it definitely did not make me feel any hotter than w/o a pack.

If you already love riding w/ packs, you'll really LOVE this.

If you're new to using hydration packs, the osprey raptor wont let you down.

Duration Product Used:   3 hours

Purchased At:   trek store boulder

Similar Products Used:   camel back

Submitted by TXTony

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    Plenty of storage...Comfortable when loaded down

Weaknesses:    None so far..

Bottom Line:
I have been a long time user of the MULE and when my last one finally gave up the ghost I decided to try one of these...It is a great alternative to the MULE..plenty of storage compartments..water delivery is on par with other hydration packs in this range..I like the cap on the bladder on this unit vs the MULE a lot better..easy to fill up..all in all I would say it is a great pack for the price...

Similar Products Used:   MULE

Submitted by Azunderwood a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable , lightweight . Perfect size. Good pockets for everything you need.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
Bought this pack through rei acoulple weeks ago and love it so far.
Compared to my old camel pack is night and day difference . I prefer having no
Pack on when riding but doing big rides and sometimes in the as heat you need
One. This pack won't disappoint the 10 is a good midel size . I rely on reviews
For a lot of my purchases so I will spread the words that osprey makes great
Products . I have had 2 hiking packs for years no problems.

Purchased At:   Rei online

Submitted by Coondog#77 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2012

Strengths:    Large bladder opening, 3L capacity, lots of usable space, and adjustablity.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
I bought this pack as an upgrade from my CamelBak Classic that I've had for ten years. I really wanted a pack with a larger bladder and storage space for tools, tubes, etc.

This pack delivers! All of the straps really helped me get a nice fit and the pack stays put when in rough terrain. It's great to have space for a spare shirt and several spare tubes or other necessities when on the trail. The three liters of water goes a long way for extended trips, and the waist pockets are great for gel packs or other snacks.

I also use this pack for hiking here in Arizona and it works well. If I was only using it for hiking I would have gotten a smaller pack, only because it seems a bit bulky when hiking.

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Rig SS29er

Submitted by Guerdonian a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    Well thought out obviously designed by bikers for bikers. Durable. Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Some straps have worn, and a little large around my skinny ass waist. Nozzle material is soft so take it easy with the chompers.

Bottom Line:
I love this pack. I have had a few others from competitor brands, but this one wins hands down. The compartments are perfectly laid out for everything you need doing a long solo day or riding. Helmet attachment thingamabob is cool. Plenty of pockets for storage. Robust design that has seen plenty of abuse over 3 years, and only thing that has broken is the chest strap from flying into a tree, not Ospreys fault :)

The bladder is a good design that holds plenty of water with a large opening. The other reviewer says it doesn't dry well, but none of the bladders from any company that I have used have dried well without using some device to hold them open.

This pack is top notch, and would highly recommend it to others.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Camelback, Platypus

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great pack lite and great storage

Weaknesses:    Bladder leaks at fill port. Seal in cap leaks and does not stay in place. I bought it on line and tried to contact osprey on line. They have no contact # or email on there site.

Bottom Line:
I was on a three day trip and had to buy a 3L mule bladder for it.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth evolve

Submitted by monkies

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Everything fits inside the compartments. Great style and look.

Weaknesses:    The magnetic spout gets in the way. Pockets too deep. Difficult to dry the bladder.

Bottom Line:
This was replacing my Camelbak Lobo. Nothing was wrong with the Lobo but just wanted to try something new. This is a preliminary review but lets see how things work out.

First off this pack is really cool looking. I thought with the larger volume but same footprint it would be way better than the Lobo. It does fit everything inside the pack with nothing sticking out (my pump was put in the lobo side pocket. I like this because all the stuff in the main compartment is all emergency type stuff I dont normally use, so that zipper doesn't need to open (tubes, pump, etc). On the lobo, i had my first aid kit and tools in different pockets, but when i left the bag upside down to dry the tube would fall out. Not the case here so pretty cool. The issue is that the pockets on the raptor are stupid deep...to the point if something is at the bottom you have to flip the bag because the zippers don't go all the way down. Not a big deal because again this compartment I'm using for emergency gear.

The magnet on the spout is annoying to me, but lets see how it fares during normal riding. The straps seem to be able to be shortened enough so the pack isn't too low. Some people complained this pack rides low, but so far I have it pretty high up. Lets see how often the straps loosen. The one annyoing thing is the amount of slack straps that can't be wrapped up...the lobo has velco wraps to tidy up the excess slack on straps.

The front buckle area is elastic and fine, but wish it had more space so I could slide pads in there easier.

I love that I can access the bladder easily, without having to have things fall out or anything. But, the bladder opening is very small...I'm wondering long term about cleaning the bladder. My Lobo would get that ick black mold and I could easily get my hand in there, but the opening on the raptor is very small and I have small forearms. The entire water/mouthpiece unit seems tough, but again I hope easy to clean cuz the Lobo I could take apart and clean the junk inside. Time will tell.

So far so good. Cool bag, but the biggest issues are the stupid deep pockets. Lets see how the cleaning issue is and if mold develops easier. Will keep an eye on the straps getting loose, but the excess slack is sloppy looking.

Submitted by Steve_N a Weekend Warrior from Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Very well thought out pack, excellent fit and comfort, amount of storage, the reservoir and its specific compartment, ease at refilling reservoir, no barrelling of the reservoir, light weight, magnet to keep hose in place, looks, attention to details

Weaknesses:    Water taste a bit rubbery, waist belt clip doesn't look very robust, no zippers for waist belt pockets

Bottom Line:
I had been looking around for a new hydration pack for some time, checked out bike stores as well as outdoors stores but couldn't find anything suitable. There seemed to be too many compromises. I read the favourable review of the Osprey Manta here on MTBR, so decided to have a look to see if they might have something I was after. I was specifically looking for a hydration pack with a minimum 3L water capacity that was comfortable that I could use on epic rides and marathon races. The Raptor looked promising so I found a store here in Australia that sells them and lucky enough there was a store near where I work.

So I checked them out, opened every zip, and poured all over the bag. I went home, checked out the site again, measured my back to see what size I needed and then laid down the cash the next day on the M/L version of the Raptor 10. Best decision I made.

Right away this pack felt comfortable. Fit was perfect. I was worried the waist belt would ride up my stomach like my Deuter Superbike L but those fears were unfounded. It didn't take long to get the fit sorted out and I was in business.

The following day I joined some mates for a 6 hour epic and the pack performed flawlessly. I did have the waist belt a bit loose to begin with, which caused a bit of movement on the downhills, but a little tightening and issue gone. I was able to pack a stack of food, spares, arm warmers, phone, wallet, money and other bits and bobs and it swallowed the lot no problem. There is a ton of storage and compartments for things like your pump, key holder etc. There's also a non-scratch compartment for your sunnies which is nice touch. I found during my ride that as the load got lighter and thinned the bag I was able to use the compression straps to tighten everything back up and stop movement in the pack.

The reservoir is an ingenious design to stop barrelling, and the spine and large opening made refilling a breeze. Also, getting to, and reinstalling the reservoir was an absolute cinch and took all of 2 seconds. I imagine this will come in handy and save some time during marathon races when topping up water supplies.

The weaknesses really are quibbles. The mouthpiece makes the water feel a bit rubbery. I expect that this will disappear over time as it is still fairly new. We have to wait a bit and see. The waist belt clip looks a little flimsy and could easily be broken with a ham-fisted rider, but again time will tell how this holds up. Also, I'm not too keen on the lack of zippers on the waist belt pockets and I could expect items stowed there to go missing. I don't normally use them so no big deal there.

Overall I think this pack is very well thought out and has lots of excellent ways and ideas to stow all your gear for your next epic ride. It might seem a little pricey compared to similar competition but I think this pack stands head and shoulders above them.

If you're looking for a pack for those epic rides or even to use during 100K/100Mi races, this pack should be the top of your list.

Highly recommended