Osprey Packs Manta 30 Water Carrier

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Manta 30 offer ample volume and versatility for long, hydratedadventures. A Large front zippered pocket with shove-it pocket andTwozippered side pockets carry plenty of essentials. An integratedraincover and Stow-on-the-Go ™Trekking pole carry help you be ready forwhateverThe elements andTerrainThrow at you. Available inTwo sizes forThe perfect fit! BioStretch Harness Mesh backpanel supported by LightWire frame with side vents and ridge foam backing Lightweight webbing BioStretch hipbe

Submitted by fyberoptik a Cross Country Rider from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Tons of space, mesh backpanel, warranty.

Weaknesses:    Reservoir, zippers, rain cover, helmet storage

Bottom Line:
I use this as a commuter pack. I needed a pack that could carry a full day of supplies and keep my back drier than a non-ventilated pack. I used to have to change a shirt when I got to my destination, but now I don't need to carry another shirt. I'd say there's a 50-75% reduction in sweat. I can feel the breeze on my back as I ride so there's definitely a lot of airflow.

The helmet attachment should be the same as the Viper series. The helmet will flail around unless you have enough room and time to put it in the pocket and then use the compression straps to secure it. Too many steps to securing the helmet so I just let it attack anyone near me.

The blinker attachment isn't wide enough to clip a Blackburn Flea. I have to use the velcro strap that came with the Flea.

I prefer my some parts of my Camelbak reservoir to the Nalgene reservoir. The Nalgene-designed opening is too far down for me to fill ice and water directly into the reservoir from my refrigerator. I have to get a pitcher and pour into the reservoir. One more thing to clean, so it's just an annoyance. Plus I seem to make a mess when filling up or emptying the thing (the rigid design tends to keep the opening a little narrow restricting fill speed). I like the bite valve, love the magnet, think the hose gets pinched too easily, and would appreciate an insulated hose at $150.

The rain cover hooks onto the latches the hold the duckbill cover of the hydration reservoir. It isn't very secure and it has fallen off when walking, so I'd hate to think about that cover getting caught in my rear wheel and tearing off.

The load straps do not work as stated by many other reviewers. I think it has something to do with the duckbill, but I'm no pack designer. Also, the zippers tend to get caught on the weather flaps. Someone needs to design packs with water tight zippers and get rid of the flaps. Anyway, the back of my helmet hits the internal frame of anything taller than this pack so this is the pack for me.

Favorite Trail:   SJT

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Camekbak Mule

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Madone

Submitted by kbporter a Cross Country Rider from Virginia Beach, VA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2011

Strengths:    Distributes weight great. Plenty of pockets/storage. Integrated rain cover. One of the best designed packs with water bladder that I've ever used.

Weaknesses:    Waist belt could be wider. more of a personal preference. Definitely not a deal breaker.

Bottom Line:
Bought this pack last spring for my trip from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and C&O. Pack performed flawlessly. The integrated rain cover kept my stuff dry during one of the worst thunderstorms Ive ever been in. I used this pack to carry most of my camping gear and personal items(shires tarp tent, thermarest prolight sleep pad, silk bag liner, hygiene and med kits) and put the heavy stuff (clothes, tools and food) in a revelate designs seat bag and a jand frame bag. Since my trip I've used this bag for day hikes as well as day rides. The compression straps allow you to keep the pack snug and compact no matter how much stuff you bring. The mesh airflow panel is amazing and helps keep your back cooler and drier than a regular camelback or back pack. Water bladder is easy to fill and the handle design that runs down the bag and keeps it from collapsing is one of the most well thought out designs I've seen in years. The bite nozzle and magnet clip on the chest strap are also little touches that make a huge difference. The price is definitely worth the high level of craftsmanship and overall design quality of the bag.

Favorite Trail:   New Quarter

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Camelback Mule, Marmot Compressor Plus w/100 Camelback bladder

Bike Setup:   09 Redline monocog flight 29er SS, with thompson stem and post, fizik airione saddle, crank bros egg beaters (cheap steel version), Cane Creek S3 headset, FSA cranks and BB, WTB Laser Disc Wheels with Kenda Small block 8s, ergon grips, avid bb7 brakes and levers, crank bros cobalt bars, generic bottle cages.

Submitted by eranpeled a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    Very comfortable when fully loaded and half loaded.
Can hold two hydrations of 3 Liter and the regular equipment for a full day needs. The back is ventilated even when the pack is full. During aggressive rides, the pack is stable on the back!!!
It has a very practical side waist pocket.

Weaknesses:    The Hydraform reservoir is not 3 Liter...it is more like 2.7.
Price
No side mesh pockets for .5 L bottles.

Bottom Line:
Nice looking & brilliantly designed...!
Very comfortable on the hips and back.

I gave only 4 chilis for value due to the high price.

Favorite Trail:   Jerusalem to the Dead sea