Mountain Equipment Co-op Tour RT Hydration Pack Water Carrier

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

The Tour R/TL features a 2L Platypus™ Big Zip water reservoir with a secure, wide-opening zip closure for quick, easy filling, cleaning, and adding ice-cubes. The water reservoir bag is made of durable 3-layer, RF-welded, food-grade plastic laminate, and comes with a 105 cm, high-flow drinking tube and bite valve.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent price. MEC Quality. MEC stands behind their products and will repair/replace it if it has a defect.

Weaknesses:    Ab strap cannot be removed. Bite valve leaks (but maybe because I used my old bite valve from last year). Clear hose makes trapped water warm quickly (Camelback has a blue hose). I suppose the clear hose makes cleaning easier. Not as comfortable as I would expected it to be.

Bottom Line:
A heck of a lot cheaper than a Camelback. MEC has excellent quality and service. A lot of cargo space. Holds everything I need. Keeps liquid cold for the whole day. The ice i place in the pack kept until the end of the ride on a 32 degree Celsius day. Cheap accessories (an extra bladder only costs around $9 US. Ziplock bladder opening makes cleaning and refilling a breeze. Bladder does not leak and looks like it could last for years. No plasticy taste and energy drinks don't leave their taste in the bladder.
The shoulder straps should have been placed a little farther apart at the top. I can't seem to adjust it well enough for the strap to stop rubbing at the back of my neck when I lean forward. Other than that it's a well made product at a very affordable price.

Favorite Trail:   greenwood conservation (my backyard)

Purchased At:   Only at MEC

Similar Products Used:   Bell, Camelback

Bike Setup:   Old hard tail

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Strengths:    Fits very snugly(is that a word?) when fully adjusted, mesh backing for good ventilation, side pockets can fit a few power bars, tools, wallet, and patch kit. Pouch big enough to fit innertubes, maps(I need those!), maybe a raincoat. Mesh pouch on outside can also fit in a few things like maps or food. You can hang things from some of the straps that are on the pack, but that could get annoying. There's also a loop at the top of the pack to hang stuff.

Weaknesses:    None really. Maybe a little small, but I don't really need any extra room. Some may think it's a bit small, but they could just buy the Big R/T Hydration pack instead for only a bit more $$.
No bite valve cover, but none of the MEC hydration packs come with one and I can pick one up for about $6 Cdn.

Bottom Line:
Great hydration pack. I've never had any problems with it at all. Never leaks, hasn't torn at all, no problems with any stitching at all. The water resevoir doesn't retain any taste so you'll only taste what you currently have in it. Personally, I just need to buy a bite valve cover because i've put my pack down a few times in dirt and it sucked ass cleaning all the dirt from the bite valve.
This pack is not for those who are going on multi-day treks. I take this out when I go for rides up to 6-7 hours tops.
The cost I put in is in American dollars(as required), and it cost me about $65 Canadian.

Definitely pick it up, it's a great deal....can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   MEC

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp

Submitted by Dean a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Well made, good value, comfortable

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
Great product. I've replaced the water liner and drinking tube after they went a bit mangy one winter. Over all it's awesome, Holds just enough water for me, and a tube/pump/snack, some dough and a jacket if you need be. The grommet at the bottom has been handy when camping, as i'll use this as an outdoor shower too.

I'd buy it again, if it every wore out on me. Much better value than Camelback, etc.

Favorite Trail:   Jasper/River Valley

Purchased At:   MEC

Bike Setup:   99 Kona Munimulu

Submitted by GwEg from Laval Qc Canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    Very durable, the water rest cold day long when you put ice and a lot of very usable pouch

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
this is a great water bag cheaper than camelback for the same size bag
great! buy one!