MEC Mountain Fountain Tour XT Water Carrier

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

MEC Mountain Fountain Tour XT

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from London ON Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Strengths:    Light. Comfortable. Holds 2.5L of water

Weaknesses:    strappy

Bottom Line:
I know this review is supposed to be for a Mountain Fountain but I dont think they make those any more and I wanted to leave a review for the 2003 Platypus from MEC.

SO

I've only tried this a couple of times but so far I really like it. Its a great place to stick your light battery and keep a multi tool and some chain lube.

I have yet to figure out how to get the hose to sit properly on the pack so it doesnt keep tapping me in the knee. I'm not sure either if its me that is not used to the flow valve or if the valve sux.... I'll let ya know.

The real benefit to this is that with the Platypus and a Helmet mount light you really look like a bio-warrior.

Space Aliens beware!

Favorite Trail:   Kains Rd Kilworth Komoka Loop - London

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   camleback. Trek.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 Sid SL Mavic X618 XT/XTR Mich CompS light

Submitted by Jimbo a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2003

Strengths:    Platypus bladder (doesn't taste loke a camel), lots of pockets, good value.

Weaknesses:    None so far, but I have only used it for 3 years!!

Bottom Line:
This pack does everything. For riding with my buddies, I load it down with a tube, pump, tools, first aid kit, (for them) and a few extras and 2 liters of water and a handful of other stuff. For racing, just the bare essentials and water. Fits great and is fully adjustable. Lots of pockets and straps. I can even strap on a small bow saw to do trail maintenance. This pack is bomb proof. I know, I have used it as an air bag, more than once. After 3 years, there is nothing missing, broken, torn. It is just like new, except for the dirt and a little smell. As for the person below that complained about the bladder's zip not working, just send it back to Cascade Designs, and they will replace it. www.cascadedesigns.com I showed them mine at the booth at 24 hrs of Adrenaline and they gave me a new one, no questions asked, and they were happen too. That is service. My son now has the next size down, and his works great too. This pack is great for anyone doing longer rides.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Cheap knock offs that cost maybe 20% less but give you 75% less value.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS, XTR & XT, Mavic cross links, Hayes hydralics.

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Strengths:    Big
Tough
Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Lasts forever - no excuse to buy a new one

Bottom Line:
Bought one of these in '99, used it for the Leadville 100. At the time, it was the only 3 litre capacity pack available for a reasonable price. I loaded it with about twelve pounds of liquid, food, tools & raingear and rode with it for 11 hours. It was quite comfortable.

Don't think it is made anymore, but MEC has new models that are similar. Buy one.

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn, Camelback

Submitted by Gee a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    Carries 2 litres of water.
Lots of pockets to hold everything.
Lots of adjustability.

Weaknesses:    None yet, except maybe price.

Bottom Line:
I've always used water bottles and cages, but once I got the MEC Mountain Fountain, I'm NEVER going back. This water carrier is totally awesome....it has room for everything I need on a ride, and still holds 2 litres of water to boot. I took a major flip and landed on my back, with no affects on the reservoir or the bag...still as good as new. I recommend this to anybody looking for one out there.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Moutain Equipment Co-op

Bike Setup:   Specialized mtn bike, & road bike.

Submitted by captain_clever from Toronto

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Price, carries everything you need plus a litre of water, protects your oh so precious spine.

Weaknesses:    Platypus Big Zip bladder pops open on impact.

Bottom Line:
A bit of a problem on how to rate this thing. The layout of the pack is awesome, lots of storage, it's comfortable, keeps the weight off your bike, it does everything it should.
However, the bladder is trouble. After having the thing for a few months, the zip seal started to lose its strength. Out of my last five rides the bladder has burst six times! That really sucks when you're nowhere close to running water (I'm glad it didn't happen on a desert ride). I guess if you NEVER fall it doesn't matter but I'm about ready to toss this bladder in the trash.
Now, how to rate it? Pack gets 5 chilis, bladder gets 1 chili, average is three, subtract 1 because carrying water really is its main purpose and it doesn't do that reliably. So the final quota is two (5 if you replace the Big Zip with a regular.

Similar Products Used:   Water bottles

Bike Setup:   Kona Lava Dome w/ Z5 Bomber

Submitted by Dustin a Racer from Calgary AB CANADA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Strengths:    snug fit, lots of adjustable straps, holds everything you need and then some, best price on the market, holds up longer than camel back.

Weaknesses:    waist belt in awkward place and skinny.

Bottom Line:
This product is one of the best out there, and the price is a bonus. I got mine for $59.00 cdn, the only thing is you have to be a member at mec(mountain equiptment co-op)costs $5.00. lots of pockets for tools, phone, keys, lunch, tube ect. an ideal person to bye this would be somone that is hard on equiptment like me. Me and my friend bought this and a camel back hawg and his is falling apart and mine is still new looking..... after taking all the mud and crap off.