KING CAGE Stainless Steel Cage Water Carrier

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

The popular Andrew's King cage at a more affordable price.

Submitted by kanekikapu a Racer from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2011

Strengths:    bombproof. simple design but works very well. last forever.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
I've had this cage for 9 years and it's the only cage I could't break from racing on the road and mtb. Obviously there are more bling and lighter cage out there but i found this to be classy and don't have to worry about breaking it - I had 3 Ciussi (all cracked at the welds) and 4 Taos (plastic connectors snaps from metal cage)

If you want a lighter one get the King Ti. I have one on my road bike and it works just as great and lighter.

Favorite Trail:   skeggs

Purchased At:   American Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   King Ti, Tacx Tao, Elite Ciussi Alloy, Elite Ciussi Stainless, Rev-x stuff

Bike Setup:   Stumpy with f120, 1x9 XT/XTR w e-13 rings. DT hoops, easton monkeylite, avid elixirs.

Submitted by froze a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Strengths:    Looks, durability

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
These cages are the best stainless steel cages on the market and their still made in the USA unlike other stainless steel ones made in China. I'm a roadie and I've been using the two original cages for about 15 years with out a problem, and I liked them so much I bought another set for a different bike.

I use heavy 24 ounce Polar bottles, and the King cages hold them just fine. I had one bottle get ejected about a year ago because after 14 years the cage slowly bent outward not holding the bottle as securely as it did, so I just pushed the cage downward a bit to restore it's tight hold and no more problems. If this cage can hold my bottles they'll hold any bottle.

It's a very good looking cage that stays good looking even after 15 years. It doesn't mar my white bottles, it's light in weight and light in the pocket book.

Purchased At:   The Finish Line

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Elite

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by drcuzo a Cross Country Rider from Noosa, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Weaknesses:    Black Bottles, Lost Bottles

Bottom Line:
I hate to write a negative review but I purchased these cages based on positive reviews and I am very disappointed. My bottles still go black but who cares - they are clean inside. My main issues is that they do not hold bottles securely. I have just completed the "Mountains to the Beach" five day race in Australia and lost a bottle in each of the long stages when I needed them most.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Purchased At:   King Cage

Similar Products Used:   Lots of alloy cages that eventually broke

Bike Setup:   Seven Verve

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, California USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2009

Strengths:    Weighs almost nothing; grips bottle just right; strong like bull

Bottom Line:
Weighing just 28 grams- this 3.2.5 Titanium cage is made from scrap hydraulic line tubing straight out of military and commercial jets. The traditional design grips the bottle perfectly, without accident-inducing kung fu grip, many other cages have(ie: Specialized Rib Cage).

Lifetime warranty means a lifetime of worry-free riding. It's so strong- I can even lift my entire bike by the cage! Try doing that with carbon...or steel!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park(24 Hours Adrenalin Course)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Metal Matrix; Specialized Rib Cage; Cat Eye plastic cage

Bike Setup:   18 pound Cannondale XC race hardtail

Submitted by Mutantclover a Cross Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Durable, firm grip, good weight for what I ask of it, classic look.

Weaknesses:    None. Well, there are slightly cheaper stainless cages out there.

Bottom Line:
This isn't on my bike that hits the ground a lot, and I really only put a bottle in it when going on a long ride (when the camelback isn't enough). But it has survived a handful of crashes and a season and a half of use with no problem of any kind. It does grip plenty firm, and its steel so you can definitely "adjust" firmness by bending it a little.

Purchased At:   Universal