K2 Bike Hydrocycle Water Carrier

2.57/5 (7 Reviews)

The Hydrocycle features plenty of storage and K2's high-tech AirMesh™ material. An innovative ShockCord Management System holds jackets and vests, and the removable sternum and waist straps keep the pack where it should be.
  • K2's CrystalClear 70oz / 2 litre reservoir
  • 175ci/ 2.85 litre storage pocket

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by svmike a Weekend Warrior from tx

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Strengths:    Simple. I like the key clip feature. Platypus bladder is tough. Able to route the hose to right or left side. Elastic loop and velcro enclosure keeps the hose secured and allows the rider to set it closer or further from his/her mouth. It's nice being able grab the valve with my mouth and keep both hands on the bars.

Weaknesses:    A little more storage space would be nice. I carry a thin wallet, thin flip phone, and my keys in the cargo pocket b/c that is about all that will fit. I've stuffed a small multi-tool in there along with the other 3 items but it was tight.

Bottom Line:
    I'd say it's worth $40 but for $10 I can't complain! It has worked well for me over the past two years. I'm about to replace the bladder and hose just for the hell of it...

Favorite Trail:   dirt = good

Purchased At:   sport authority

Similar Products Used:   similar in size camelback

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by A, a Cross Country Rider from SE Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2004

Strengths:    It holds just the right amount of stuff.

Weaknesses:    Plastic dealies that hold the waistbelt on...

Bottom Line:
    I got this on some ridiculously great clearance (it's been a couple years, so I don't remember what I paid). It's been through a couple of nasty crashes, and I haven't had one bit of an issue with the Platypus bladder that came in it. It wears pretty comfortably, holds my wallet, car keys, and just a small bit of other gear (perfect for an afternoon out on the trail). My complaints are in the plastic attachment points they used for the waistbelt. Yeah, it's cool to be able to remove them, but the plastic has now degenerated, and they have broken off. I replaced the loops with some old shoelace, and it's as good as new, but... The one other thing I could mention is that it's somewhat inconvenient to adjust the waistbelt because they have retainer loops for the excess webbing. Overall, though, I have been well pleased with it, especially since I didn't pay anywhere near full price.

Favorite Trail:   yes

Similar Products Used:   sorry, just bottles

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 3.0 hardtail, Candy SL pedals, XT rear der., yada yada

Submitted by RJ a Cross Country Rider from Fullerton, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    The bladder

Bottom Line:
    Have been mountain biking since 1987, and I have used many products through the years. This K2 product was worthless. Two weeks after purchasing at a seasonal sale in Mammoth, the bladder seam began leaking.I took the bladder to a local sport shop and was eventally told by K2 that their product would not leak and no replacement. The local shop also stated they have experienced similar customer service issues with K2.I have been using an old Camelback bladder in the bag. The K2 bag has also failed to wear properly.
    Buy a Camelback!

Purchased At:   Mammoth Sports

Similar Products Used:   Camelback

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight,XT exceptAvid brakes,Fox Float RLC

Submitted by Joshua Clarke a Downhiller from Riverside, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Strengths:    Size vs inventory area
    wieght
    venting material
    elastic straps

Weaknesses:    bite valve :(

Bottom Line:
    Anthony really hooked me up on this one, for 20 bucks, i couldnt be a happier person, and the ventilation....my back never gets sweaty! Good job k2, i'm a happy customer :)

Favorite Trail:   skyline, in riverside,ca

Purchased At:   Anthony's cyclery

Bike Setup:   Royce union Dss MTB

Submitted by Toothless a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
    Long Edge Zipper

Weaknesses:
    Bite Valve

Bottom Line:
    Not bad except for the bite valve.. luckily it came with an extra. After the first two weeks of use the bite valve sprung a leak (it actually tore). I swapped it out for the spare.. and that ripped two weeks later. I was smart enough to realize I could turn the Bite valve around to use it again which gave me a few more weeks. I just bought a Camelbak bite valve from Performancebike.com and stuck that on there.. hopefully I'll not have any more ailments.
    K2 ~~> Please fix this!! =)

Rocky Road

3 months

The Gator

Submitted by tb a Weekend Warrior from corrales, nm

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Strengths:
    aero design fits well on back. zipper makes it easy to load

Weaknesses:
    bite valve
    stiff tubing

Bottom Line:
    just picked up the K2 rocket on end of season closeout for 1/2 price. the fit is very nice, much better than my camelback classic which it is replacing. however, the bite valve - well it bites. it leaks like a sieve every time you use it. I suppose having a shower of water on your legs when it's 90 outside is fine. not sure I will enjoy it when it's 30. also, their choice of tubing material is poor - it's so stiff it jerks your head sideways. my solution for both problems - I swapped the tube and bite valve off my old camelback and put it on the K2.

less than 1 month

camelback mule
    camelback classic

sampson kalispell road

Submitted by SJZ a Cross-Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1999

Strengths:
    compact size

Weaknesses:
    straps tore a seam
    bite valve

Bottom Line:
    The seam on the right strap tore after only 6 months. The strap is only holding on by threads.
    I like the bite valve on the Camelbak better.

Mahlon Dickerson, NJ