Jandd Inyan Deluxe Water Carrier

4.85/5 (20 Reviews)

Jandd Inyan Deluxe

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Construction, storage space

Weaknesses:    Bite valve, Bladder, not for smaller people, doesn't come with waist belt.

Bottom Line:
Got this pack at closeout from Jandd for $50. It was originally for my girlfriend, but we quickly discovered the pack is simply not design for skinny shouldered folks, it just doesn't fit right. However, I traded her for my MULE and it fits me great. The blader is okay, but the bite valve is horrible. Plan on getting a new one right away. The bag itself is excellent and will likely last a great long time as does everything from Jandd. There is plenty of storage space. But I think it's ridiculous it doesn't come with a waist belt (extra $7). I give it a minus one on value due to the belt and a minus one on overall for the bite valve.

Purchased At:   Jandd

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak MULE, hydrapak.

Submitted by rob t a Cross Country Rider from san jose ca

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Strengths:    Jannd quality,big enough for most all day rides Quite comfortable when totally stuffed with more than 15 pounds

Weaknesses:    the back absorbs alot of sweat

Bottom Line:
This pack has served me long and well.Ive crashed on it,hardly ever washed it,overstuffed it and generally abused and mistreated it.The outside mesh pocket has started to fray apart,but Im always overstuffing it on long trips and it is several years old(cant seem to remember when I got it).Mine seems to absorb a pound or two of sweat on a hot day.Ill be looking for something larger and one that has the suspended back that doesnt get so hot.I wish Jannd made one like this as Im very happy with the quality and durability.Im going to do some epic offroad tours and need quite a large pack.Ive used other Jannd products for quite a few years and theyve always been great.Their stuff is lifetime warranteed also,so this one will be returned for an overhaul.

Favorite Trail:   any<3ft. wide,rough rocky and or rooty

Purchased At:   Cupertino bikes

Similar Products Used:   smaller Jannd,camelbacks and others

Bike Setup:   Turner 02 If you can afford it,Get One!!

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Princeton, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    It's Nuke proof! Better built than Camelbak's stuff. Made in the USA, holds two full bladders (100 oz). Nice size gear compartment. I like the bungee strap to hold jackets etc when peeling off the layers!

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best Accessories that I have bought! I've had mine since February 1997! It had raced with me, been out in snow storms, out in the Rain, rolled in the mud, I even XC Skiing and it keeps on ticking (or at lease not torn seams 8-)).

Bottom Line: I would highly recommend the Inyan and Jandd products in general to anyone. As Dad used to say "buy the best, then you'll only have to buy it once!"

Favorite Trail:   The one that I'm riding

Purchased At:   Halter Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Camelback, Blackburn, and muddy water bottles.

Bike Setup:   2000 Litespeed Toccoa w/XTR drivetrain, Mavic CrossLands, Dean Ti seatpost, Easton EA 70 Handle bar, Avid Brakes.

Submitted by Pup a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2001

Strengths:    Holds 200oz of water! keeps you alive in the desert
Comfy, excellent shoulder strap design, good sweatpad
Sturdy
Comfy
Holds everything
Durable

Weaknesses:    Harder to find than Camelbacks
Did not come with a bladder so I use Blackburn bladders, which I like better anyway and which have my favorite bite valve

Bottom Line:
Hasnt dropped a stitch in a year, despite being crashed on, laundered, crusted in mud. Still looks new (after washing).
Made of this cordura weight you could sling a horse from, none of this flimsy cheap crap some of the Big Names like to use.

Tons of room and still not huge or clumsy.

**Very** comfortable and well designed shoulder strapping, does not pinch or bind or wear or call attention to itself in any way even on long rides in dumping rain or nasty heat.

Ten stars.

Favorite Trail:   Ozone / 310

Purchased At:   on-line on closeout!!

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Hydrasack 70

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by Leo a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    Like everyone else has said here, it's well made and sturdy.

Weaknesses:    The bite valve is weak. It is also difficult to clean the bladder since the tube does not detach.

Bottom Line:
The Inyan allows me to carry more water and whatever else I feel like. I was going to give it four flaming ones for the lousy bite valve, but after I crashed with it, I gotta give it a five. I thought the Inyan would tear up or something, but it still looks as good as new. The rider on the other hand got banged up pretty bad.
Like some users, I replaced the bite valve with a camelback one. Except for the bladder and bite valve designs, the Inyan is great. There is plenty of room to carry things like spare tubes, tires, tools, a windbreaker and snacks for those long epic rides. And I learned my lesson now. I carry my knee and shin guards on the elastic web to use when riding downhill now.

Purchased At:   Jandd Factory Outlet

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Hoodoo AL.

Submitted by Road-rage a Weekend Warrior from Idaho Falls

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Strengths:    tough as nails.
holds two bladders
good insulation but good air flow around your back
fits well
VERY well made (goes without saying because it's a jand)

Weaknesses:    The bite valve sucks. I cut it off and replaced it with a Big Bite valve from Aardvarkcycles.com (3.95). and now in in heaven.

Bottom Line:
If you only want to buy one hydration system in your lifetime, buy a Jandd. It will never fall apart. It has a no-nonsense design that is flawless. If you want something cutsie, buy a camelbak. Actually, you'll have to buy one a year because they fall apart.

I had two nightmare crashes right on my Jandd without any tears or fray's. On one, I was going 35 mph on some single-track when my front rim folded in half. I ended up skidding to a stop on my shoulder and back--right on my Jandd. I dislocated my right shoulder, screwed up my wrist and knee, and put enough scabs on my body to make a billy goat puke. Guess what? My Jandd was very dirty but completely unscathed. Any other hydropack would have bit the farm. If you want a hydropack that you can abuse like a red headed step-child, buy a Jandd. If you need something to make you feel confident about yourself, buy a self-help book and a Camelbak, and practice your self-afirmations in the mirror before riding.

Purchased At:   here

Similar Products Used:   Bandido and waterbottles

Submitted by Sir rides a lot a Weekend Warrior from Provo

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2000

Strengths:    No nonsence functinality. It's a Jandd. That makes them the best on the market.

Weaknesses:    bite valve. I just cut off the one it came with and put on Camelbak bite valve.

Bottom Line:
Got this for 34.95 on special from Performance Bike. Now I wish I would have bought two more--one for my wife and one for my best friend. This is the best value I have ever seen in a hydropack. If this pack were the same price as any other, I would still choose this one over any other.

I love this pack!!! I'm not sure if I like the way the new 2000 model looks though.

Camelbak is for pretty boys that like things to look pretty but fall apart in a year.

Favorite Trail:   like I'd tell you

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Bandido

Bike Setup:   tri-cycle

Submitted by Red Owl a Cross Country Rider from WI

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Strengths:    Construction

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Didn't believe a pack-style hydration system was worth the hype -- until Performance offered the Jandd Inyan Deluxe for the sale price of $39.99. Heard good things about Jandd mountaineering equipment, figured it was worth a shot to see whether a pack outscored the good ol' fashioned water bottle/cage setup that's worked fine for many years...

Verdict is, I really can't say enough good things about it. Very comfortble, great compressibility with room to pack as much gear as I'd ever need for an epic. All that plus a separate compartment for a spare water bladder, an external pump strap, and lots of tool storage space, this thing's built for the long haul.

Partake from Performance while they last, definitely a great deal on a top-quality product.

Similar Products Used:   Water Bottles

Submitted by 10acjed a Cross-Country Rider from Highland Springs, VA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 1999

Strengths:
Its a Jandd product

Weaknesses:
You have the ability to carry too much if you really want to

Bottom Line:
Ever owned a product by Jandd? If you have you know its top notch stuff. I own other Jandd products and swear by them. The valve has not leaked in two years...can't say the same for others (Blackburn). The pack itslef has not been damaged in any way shapr or form wich i can't say for some others (Camelback). Buy this, ride all day, carry 2 tubes, McGuyever, 3 Cliff bars, wallet, bannana, still have room left forpicking up garbage other assh*les leave on the trail........RIDE ON.

Poor Farm Park

2 Years

Blackburn, Camelback

Santa Cruz Tazmon, Judy XC, XT Race Face......blah blah blah

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1999

Strengths:
Warranty, Quality, Comfort

Weaknesses:
It does not come in pink with purple pocadots

Bottom Line:
Great product, very comfortable. I had ripped mine in a few places from crashing to snagging it on a tree, I called Jandd and they said send it with $5 for return shipping and they would fix it. After a couple of weeks, I called to check the status, and they misplaced it, so they sent me a brand new Inyan. I am very impressed with your customer loyalty. Jandd is my hero.

Birthday

more than 3 years

camelback mule

99 fsr expert

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Tucson,Az.

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1999

Strengths:
JANDD,Build-VERY comfortable, water carrying capacity, cargo capacity, and it fits my long torso.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
At the time of purchase I bought a camel 100oz. bladder in addition to the pack and received 10% discount from Sabino Cycles.
This pack has taken a couple really good crashes were I slid on the pack. I have several other JANDD products and I feel they are all excellent products.

Starr Pass, Reddington Race Loop, anything in the Santa Ritas, The Chutes

2 Years

CamelPak stuff- small, not very good quality detail.

98 Stump-Pro, Judy XC

Submitted by Scott (Scoobs) a Weekend Warrior from Collierville, Tn

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1999

Strengths:
Lots of storage
Comfort
Secure fit
Price

Weaknesses:
Bladder and mouth peice

Bottom Line:
I definitely like this water pack. Excellent manufacturing, lots of storage ( I was looking for a pack to fit a sleeping bag on if I wanted and this is it) and comfortable to wear. I was very pleased to find out how water resistant it is. I was riding with some friends when I wiped out in a creek, not once but three times. I was completely submerged all three times. Though I was not in the water long nothing in my pack was ruined including a disposable camera I was carrying. For $60 you can't beat this pack. The removable waist strap is pretty cool too. This is my first hydration pack and if the quality continues to hold out over the years then Jandd will definitely have a lifelong customer. There is one gripe, since the wouldn't let me use the B word, that I have which almost caught this pack one turd is the bladder system. It closes up on me when drawing water. Anyone know how I can stop this from happening? I mean the reason I bought a hydration system was to be able to carry more water and get to it without using my hands. Other than the bladder problem this is a great pack... As I said earlier the bladder almost cost a flaming turd but saving my camera from the water gets it back.

Still working on it.

3 months

Submitted by Nordy a Weekend Warrior from Sebastopol, CA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 1999

Strengths:
durable, carrying capacity(just enough in winter but not so much that it's too heavy.

Bottom Line:
The first time I used this pack my buddies and I were poaching a local trail (actually, the Corps of Engineers Rangers knew about our ride and were hoping to gather info. on the state of the trails in areas inaccessible by boat or foot). We were about ten miles into a very technical ride on a day when the temperature hit 105 degrees. Even though we started a sun-up, we were well into midday (O.K.-where do you think the trail goes now?), climbing a steep hill, when I hit a fairly large rock, which knocked me off the trail. I had just enough time to think, Oh, shit as there was a steep drop-off right at that point.I tucked my head, and the bike and I did the better part of a flip. Fortunately, I landed on my back, on the the pack, bursting the bladder, which saved my sorry ass. Twenty yards later I was on my feet. My buddies helped me back up the hill and we finished the ride. Well, I had to replace the bladder, and lay off biking for a week or so (cracked ribs), but the pack was not damaged at all-not even one little tear! A very impressive piece of equipment!

it's a secret

1 Year

Submitted by Warthog a weekend warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

In the review below I meant Inyan Deluxe, not Double
Inyan. Like, duh!! Must have been dehydrated or
something. I slagged on the M.U.L.E.'s contruction, but Camelbak does make the great bladder and bite-valve I use in my Jandd. Still five smokin' chilis for the Inyan Deluxe.

Submitted by Warthog a weekend warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

Top quality pack at a very reasonable price ($60 including the waist strap). It replaced a M.U.L.E. that had been falling apart from day one. The Double Inyan offers loads of storage space including a second zippered pocket, a long mesh pocket, a 9x8x2 zippered pouch, a criss-crossing bungee, and two little mesh side pockets (the left side including a velcro hold-down strap for your mini-pump, the right side being perfect for a banana, candy bar, or web-whacking stick). I added a D-ring on the shoulder strap as tube-guide, and attached a plastic key-clip inside the pouch, using a loop of nylon shoelace sewn into the thick inside-top seam. The very first bike bag I ever used was a Jandd seatpack; aside from a small hole from wear against the seatpost (now patched), the seatpack has held up perfectly considering the thousands of miles it has seen. I still use it on occasion. The good experience prompted me to get a Double Inyan, bought after yet-another sew-up job on the Crappybak. Jandd makes superb products, they have a great attitude, and it's inspiring to wear a little bit of California on your back (though my first CA trip is gonna be Downieville, not Santa Barbara).