Hydrapak Overflow '03 Water Carrier

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)
Weight : 610 grams MSRP : $59.99

Category: Cycling/Sport
Fluid Capacity: 100 fl oz / 2957 ml
Pack Capacity: 420 cu in (expanded)
Color: Red, Navy, Gray, Red Rock

Pack Features:
  • Molded EVA back for support, comfort and ventilation
  • Wrap-around zipper expands storage capacity to manage big loads
  • Long storage pocket for pumps/light batteries
  • Organizer pocket with external mesh carry-all
  • Reinforced shoulder straps
  • Adjustable/removable waist strap and elastic sternum strap
  • Reverse zips are water resistant
  • Broad reflective strip with light loop
  • EasyFlo Shut-Off valve and Reversible Reservoir

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis,MN

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2005

Strengths:    Large water reservoir (100 oz.), ample cargo space for necessities and comfortable to wear on long rides.

Weaknesses:    The original valve was problematic and leaky; however, Hydrapak redesigned their valve and offered all of their customer’s FREE upgrades, which I took advantage of.

Bottom Line:
    My Hydrapak Overflow is the 2002 model. It has served me well over these last 3 years. The Hydrapak reservoir is solid and the capacity to carry 100 oz. of water is handy. This pack also has ample cargo space. I carry 2 spare tubes, 2 tire levers, a mini-pump, a 5/8” wrench, a multi-tool, my cell phone, my wallet, my keys and a Power Bar or two. This pack has survived a few messy crashes unscathed but that would be hit or miss with any hydration pack. When you crash either you land on the pack wrong, it catches on something or it doesn’t. Any pack can rip or break anytime, anywhere. The stitching, the zippers and the pack itself are all in solid condition after 3 years of use. I recommend this pack highly for anyone who is looking for a lot of water (100 oz.) and enough cargo space for the basics. Obviously if you want more cargo space, look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1

Submitted by Matt Harris a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap compared to Camelbak and others, comfy, lots of wee pockets for keys, phone & tools etc

Weaknesses:    2 of the zips have broken, plastic clip at back broken, and valve on end of tube leaks, replaced it with a camelbak valve, much better

Bottom Line:
    Overall an ok pack, good amount of room etc for water and gear. Big zip on zip out section broke when I fell off and half my gear including a camera fell out and over a bank never to be seen again, wouldn't buy another one for that one reason. Not recommended if you are rough on gear (eg fall off a lot) or carry valuebles. Is good value for money though for beginners, novices or girls!

Favorite Trail:   Red Rocks

Purchased At:   Mainly Tramping

Submitted by john a Weekend Warrior from ohio

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Strengths:    price, to use an old phrase--it is what it is--very functional, kinda small cargo space, but i wanted a small pack, easy to fill, water stays cold for all but the longest of rides.

Weaknesses:    valve---worthless- go buy a new bite valve and your set(will cost you about $5 at a LBS

Bottom Line:
    for the price its great--go get a new valve--the one it comes with is worthless. i also have a camelbak blowfish, and i like the overflow better for long trips. less weight and a little smaller. that being said the price you pay is lower but you have to put up with a few less features. the way they route the tube is a little strange but, it does the job fine. if you want more cargo space this not a model i would chose. for me, money saved is worth a "little" hassle. if you are not super picky, this pak will do just fine.

Favorite Trail:   caesars creek

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   camelback

Bike Setup:   n\a

Submitted by TJ Troughton a Weekend Warrior from Hendersonville, NC USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Strengths:    I like the mouthpiece b/c the water flows out of the pack very easily and I have had no problems with it at all.

Weaknesses:    Couldn't name one.

Bottom Line:
    I think this pack is well worth the price. I carry my keys,an extra tube,tools,etc and still have pleny of more room in it. Also it holds 100 Oz which is a ton of water. I would recommend this pack to anyone.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Dosn't matter

Submitted by cy a Weekend Warrior from miami

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    small enough that is does not get in the way big enough to hold 100oz.

Weaknesses:    pockets could be a little bit biger.

Bottom Line:
    If your like me and go out there for the ride and not a trip this is a nice pack. All I carry is water, ID, and a few tools. I'm just starting on the tools. I don't want to be tied down with a lot of extras so this pack keeps me in check. Most important is the water. I can walk a flat.

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   bighit upgrade rear spring

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    mouth piece, bladder filling, lacks volume for 15 + mile trips

Bottom Line:
    The price lures you but don't do it unless all you need is a pack that will haul 100oz of water and the bare necessities. Zipper on expandable pouch broke after 3 months, mouth pc is not intuitive (I spent $5 on a camelback replacement after the first day I used it). Folks this pack sucks!

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyc

Similar Products Used:   original camelback

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SL

Submitted by Joshua a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    Good profile, not too bulky yet surprisngly large stowing capacity for its size.

Weaknesses:    The valve is too sophisticated for its own good. Definitely an example of overdesign.I ended up ripping it off the end of the hose when it jammed & refused to unlock for me. I was only trying to remove it, but it broke, sending plastic bits & springs everywhere. Nothing is more frustrating than not being able to take a drink when you really need one! Having a lock & unlock position on a bite valve is completely and totally unnecessary, and only adds to the possibility of something going wrong. I replaced the valve with the very simple & straightforward Camelbak bite valve which has zero moving parts.

Bottom Line:
    It's a good pack, but nothing extraordinary. The use of the cheap, stiff clear plastic tubing is chintz, and if you don't have it set up just right, it'll smack you in the head if it's sticking out too high. I think Camelbak make a better product. Their use of the goopier tubing at least ensures that it stays where you put it. When the original valve was working, it had a better flow than the normal Camelbaks...but then it refused to unlock (even though I never locked it) and had no flow at all. I also find the little plastic latch for hanging the bag a bit fiddly and too small to operate in a hurry.
    ..having said all that, I still use it daily after replacing the valve and it does what it's supposed to do. I'm able to fit an extra tube, a couple of tools, my pump, a rain jacket etc. with no difficulty. Does the job so I give it an average rating.