Hydrapak Keg '03 Water Carrier

Weight : 1580 grams MSRP : $124.99

Category: Cycling/Backcountry
Fluid Capacity: 100 fl oz / 2957 ml (up to 200 fl oz)
Pack Capacity: 1300 cu in
Color: Titanium, Blue

Pack Features:
  • Molded EVA foam back for support, comfort and ventilation
  • Padded, adjustable shoulder straps and waist strap
  • Zippered pocket and mesh carry-all pocket on waist strap
  • Rain cover mounted in hood of bag
  • Sunglasses/goggles pocket in hood is fleece lined
  • Five externally-accessible stash pockets
  • External zippers are virtually waterproof
  • Large exterior mesh pocket for helmet and gear
  • EasyFlo Shut-Off valve and Reversible Reservoir
  • Holds 2 100oz reservoirs if desired (only 1 included)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Fredericton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2004

Strengths:    Lots of room for storage, everything you would ever need in a large pack. Big resevoir. Comfortable, even when packed with heavy pointy objects =P

Weaknesses:    Pockets designed for shoes don't fit my size 13's, kind of a kick in the pants. Also there is no visible sunglass pocket that I can find, not a big deal just kind of a dissapointment after hearing there was one in it. (think the model I got from pricepoint was a older one, ah well it was cheap)

Bottom Line:
    Great pack for the price. This is my first hydration pack but it seems to work extremely well. Has room for all the junk I carry with me and then some, a huge lock, wallet, phone, flat pedals (for sketchy sections), all my tools, spare shoes (for the flat pedals =P). With that there is still enough room in there to fit about two basketballs in there. I don't think I would recommend this for someone who rides less than a couple hours a trip tho, it would be a little big, I have to bike to the trails around here so every ride is a epic. The only thing I have noticed is after leaving the bladder on its side in the fridge for a while, I took it out to clean it out and when I opened it the opening was all leaked out. It didn't leak on anything, just around the opening, but I may be sealing it wrong, so don't take my word on it. And the whole not fitting my shoes... thats a pain. I would think such a huge pack would want to be able to accomidate bigger riders =/. Would have been nice to have pockets to hold my muddy shoes. Still, i'm giving this 5 chilis, excellent value, comfortable, practical, and enuf room to carry stuff to last you a week in the wilderness.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   uhh. water bottle

Bike Setup:   04 Giant Rainier, basically stock

Submitted by Ted a Cross Country Rider from Olympia, WA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2003

Strengths:    Much room for anything you want to bring with you. More pockets than you know what to do with. The pack fits nicely no matter how much you put in it.

Weaknesses:    BIG (not a real weakness)

Bottom Line:
    A great pack and hydration pack at an amazing price. I filled the pack with a lot less stuff to see if the pack felt wierd, but it was great. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great back pack/hydration pack.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Camel back

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from San Mateo, CA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2003

Strengths:    Fit, construction, design, aerodynamics, everything.

Weaknesses:    None, really

Bottom Line:
    I won this pack at the 24 Hours of Tahoe (thanks, Hydrapack and Granny Gear)and was not too excited because I already have a ton of backpacks and hydration packs. I was going to sell it on eBay, and then I decided to fill it full of stuff and try it on. Much to my surprise, the damn thing felt great with a heavy load. Unlike the Vaude, it was very stable with a good sized load (making it a better choice for mtb epics), so I decided to keep it. Now, after six months of commuting 2-3 times a week (18 miles each way), I can give it a big thumbs up.

Everything is thought of in this pack. You get a nice water sleeve that is separate from your stuff in the off-chance of a leak. There is a hook for your keys, multiple exterior pockets, an external mesh sleeve that will hold wet stuff or your helmet, a fleece pouch that will give your shades much love, air channels to keep your back cool, a nice hip strap that gets the weight off of your shoulders and a rain fly to boot. All this in a pretty aerodynamic package that is lighter than my Vaude.

I typically carry a partial change of clothes, some stuff from work, wallet, keys, cell phone, cd walkman, light battery, blackberry, tube, pump and a multi tool. I have successfully and comfortably added to that list a 7 lb laptop and rain jacket and pants.

No signs of wear yet. These are a killer deal at pricepoint.com ($35!) and you will not be any happier with any other brand.

Favorite Trail:   Too many great ones to know