Hydrapak Big Sur Water Carrier

Weight : 1 lb. 4 oz./ 571.4 g. MSRP : $44.99

Hydrapak's Big Sur pack contains a 100 ounce reservoir and enough cargo spaceTo keep you onTheTrail all day.The beauty ofThe Big Sur is how organized it can keep your gear.The Big Sur is organized in a wayThat all your necessities are easily accessed. Easily accessible front pocket,Tool garagepacket with zippered organizer and a pump sleeve inThe main compartment keep your smaller items handy. Also included for your convenience is a fleece lined audio pocket with cord port, Hypalon light loop an

Submitted by Chris a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2013

Strengths:    Light
Roomy
Lots of Water
Comfy
Hose management and magnet
Bladder is reversible
Easy to clean

Weaknesses:    Nothing notable

Bottom Line:
This pack is excellent, it is a great mix of small and easy to carry with room to use. If you use the straps you can hang a towel, jacket, or get fancy. The bladder is top notch, and so is the hose, you will not be let down by the magnet, reversible bladder, or easy to fill and close system. I use this pack to disc golf, hike, run, mountain bike, or at long outdoor events that are hot, when water, and snacks are needed. The pockets are handy, not really reachable while on person, but I enjoy 3 outer pockets. I have no regrets about this pack it's gotten lots of use and wipes clean pretty easy.

Submitted by thaknowledgehustla a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2012

Strengths:    Crafty, efficient, several pockets that are specific for certain items/gear, less than cumbersome.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This is my first pack. I made my decision based on the ratings on this site and the reasonsable price (I paid about $80). I can't say enough about it. My reservation in buying a pack was just the burden of the weight, however, the plus side is that I can carry the supplies I need (h2o, etc.) so I don't die on the trail, and, again, it is not burdensome at all. Very form fitting using the snugs and straps.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by Laser4G63 a Cross Country Rider from Jackson, MI

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Strengths:    This is a great hydration pack. Very comfortable and light weight. That is until you fill it up, then it gets heavy, which is to be expected. Roomy, I can fit all of my tools/gear in it and still have room left for a light jacket or jersey. 100oz reservoir is very nice and lasts for about a 3 hour ride. I love the magnetic clip that holds the mouthpiece, nice and convenient, and snaps back in place after use. Has a lot of places to store your gear, plus a fleece lined pocket for cell phone, MP3 player, etc.

Weaknesses:    The stitching is starting to came apart in places. I should have sent it in for warranty work, but I couldn't live without it long enough.

Bottom Line:
This is one sweet pack!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Hydrapak

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak

Bike Setup:   SC Blur Classic with things and stuff.

Submitted by kamote a Weekend Warrior from Manila Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2010

Strengths:    Perfect size, 360 deg insulation, keeps my stuff dry.

Weaknesses:    some stiching issues, double check all stiches upon buying.

Bottom Line:
The best there is...did my research for about 2 month and decided to buy this pack. It was the best decision made. This pack goes with me and carries all my essentials. Great Buy.

I ride at least 2x a week and travel at least 30kms/13 miles per trip...this pack lasted me a whole day trip as well. This is the perfect size for trips more than 3 hours.

Purchased At:   Manila

Similar Products Used:   Deuter Trans alpine

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by DanConway a Cross Country Rider from Fairfax, VA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    lots of pockets/volume, convenient bladder, packs down nicely, magnet clip on hose is AWESOME

Weaknesses:    No clip for key ring, twisting valve on/off is slightly more difficult than on a camelback.

Bottom Line:
Good buy. I was apprehensive about the price and the whole "it's not a camelback" thing, but i could not be happier. I trail run/ride/everything with it. It'll hold way more than a shell and a hat, but that's about all i've packed into it as of right now. I'll update as winter closes in.

Also, i was worried about the gimmicky magnet clip that attaches the hose to the chest strap. I've been so pleased with it. I can just let the hose fall out of my mouth, and it'll clip back on by itself. Awesome. much easier to clean than a camelback.

Favorite Trail:   Snake Root

Similar Products Used:   Camelback

Bike Setup:   trek antelope

Submitted by johnny dollar a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2010

Strengths:    The reversible bladder design blows all the others away! 3L of water is nice, very rugged, large capacity, armor, works great for hiking, snowboarding, etc. Hydratunes is a great feature for MP3 devices. Pad arrangement keeps the back dry and cool. Plus, it's a no brainer to clean.

Weaknesses:    Large capacity means slightly more weight if packed to the max. If packed tight, the bulk may catch low slung branches or bushes, so just be wary if riding through tight areas with a full pack.

Bottom Line:
This pack has become a second skin for me. Any ride over an hour, this pack comes with. The reversible bladder is what really sold me. You can purchase a separate bladder to replace your nasty camelback bladder for a nice upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt, rock, and roots

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   camelback, k2, dakine

Bike Setup:   09 GT Avalanche 2.0

Submitted by ollie101 a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2010

Strengths:    This pac (2010 big sur) is well thought out. It has a ton of pockets for storing every thing you could want for a 5-6 hours of riding(xc) The balder is easy to clean and the bite valve does not leak like I read in other reviews. well built
and very comfortable on my back it is well balanced. The magnetic clip works very well.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any.

Bottom Line:
I have been using packs for years and never found one that had what I wanted until now Hydrapak makes the best water pack. puts all others to shame

any questions wristenstile@ gmail.com

Favorite Trail:   Therapy

Purchased At:   Hydrapak web site

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak (Hawg,Mule) Outdoor products fell apart

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur xc

Submitted by LightningSlow a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2010

Strengths:    Tons of Pockets, Great Bite Valve, Tons of Pockets, Great Design, Nice Padding. 100oz reversible bladder. Perfect routing of headphones and tube alike. Options to Change virtually every setting.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of.

Bottom Line:
Great value for this product considering all of the features it has and custom routing options. Extra gear stays snug in the pockets. Very well constructed. Color options if you want that sort of thing ( i went white and black with some graphite, as sexy as hydration comes). Did I mention the pocket abundance?

Buy this unit if you want to stay hydrated without feeling like you are carrying a fridge on your back.

Favorite Trail:   96th Street

Purchased At:   Carmel Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Water Bottle, Camelbak

Bike Setup:   KHS hardtail

Submitted by Al T a Weekend Warrior from South Windsor, CT

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    I truly love this pack over all the Camelback Mules I've owned. I'm so used to cramming all my stuff into a few pockets. This pack is a little bigger than the Mules but thats what I need and it's not to big like the bigger Hawg Camelback. There are several storage compartments and a bungee cord which the new Camelbacks don't have anymore. The bite valve is really nice and the hose has a quick dissconnect from the bag where with the Camelbacks you have to force the hose on and off. The bag also has a velcro full width opening to fill and this allows you to pull the bag inside out after use so it can dry out much better or with a paper towel. I was very sceptical of the velcro opening instead of a cap but if you wrap the velcro up like the instructions say you will be surprised that it does work fine. Also it has a built in pocket for a helmet light battery which I really liked. No more battery working it's way down the pack while riding.

Weaknesses:    I really like the hose design but the hose material it's self is very stiff and not flexible enough.

Bottom Line:
I love this pack and even though I paid the full retail price from my LBS it was a great purchase. I have seen these for as low as $39.99 on mail order and for that price it's a super deal.

Favorite Trail:   All the ones I build