Gregory Endurance Water Carrier

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Gregory Endurance

Submitted by Rita a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2006

Strengths:    This is for the Gregory Reactor day pack. Large capacity, fits two 60 oz Platypus reservoirs easily plus tools, food, camera, with room to spare. Easy to adjust shoulder, waist and sternum straps. Weight rides on hips, not shoulders(I am 5'3") Good looking and tough. Side compartments very nice.

Weaknesses:    I can carry too much useless crap. Did not come with a reservoir.

Bottom Line:
This pack does it all. Since the pack rests on my hips I no longer get upperback or neck pain after riding like I did with the Camelbak(why I went to a lumbar pack). Capacity is great, this pack is called a day pack, not a hydration pack, but comes with two separate pouches for reservoirs. The side mesh compartments make snacks and a camera accessable without removing the pack. Excellent quality. I see packs costing a lot more with half the features.

Favorite Trail:   FINS

Purchased At:   Tahoe Mtn Sports-Internet

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak, Mountainsmith lumbar pack

Bike Setup:   Jamis FS

Submitted by Eric Pepito a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Strengths:    This Review is for Gregory Temper it is for long days on the trail. It will carry all the food and water you could use in a day. Pack arrived with leaky bladder. I emailed Gregory and recieved prompt delivery of a brand new Bladder in an updated style. Very cool. Prompt and helpful customer service can't be beat. If you like adventures buy this pack.

Bottom Line:
I love this pack I use it daily. I use it for everything from climbing to skiing. It is well built and ready for abuse I Highly recomend. Buy this Pack!!!

Favorite Trail:   Perfect Cycling Trail

Purchased At:   campmor

Similar Products Used:   camelbak original and hydrapak ammo

Bike Setup:   dean full supension with handle bars and wheels

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Strengths:    Typical Gregory quality, plenty of capacity, great accessory/side pockets.

Weaknesses:    Don't even bother with the included HydroCell bladder.

Bottom Line:
I've been very impressed with the Gregory Endurance. I bought it because I'd had good luck in the past with one of Gregory's full-blown expedition backpacks. The Endurance conforms to my shoulders and back much better than any of my Camelbaks -- further proof that Gregory knows a thing or two about packs, whether for hikers or bikers. Probably my favorite thing about this pack are the mesh zippered pouches on each side of the waistbelt -- finally, a decent place to keep car keys, Clif bars, and a multitool where you can get to them without having to take the pack off (take note, Camelbak). A pack this large might be overkill for many riders, but I tend to be a pack rat, and besides, in the summer heat here in southern Arizona, it's not a bad idea to carry not one but two bladders if you're going for a long ride, and the Endurance will hold those and then some. By the way, I actually use Camelbak 100-ounce bladders in the Gregory -- the HydroCell bladder it came with isn't of much use -- it's hard to fill up, and it would be next to impossible to clean thoroughly. One other minor complaint: the shoulder straps should be grey instead of black -- after the first couple of hot rides, the dried sweat against the black material looked like I'd crashed into a couple of salt licks.

Favorite Trail:   50-year Trail

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Hawg, Mule, Rogue

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Comp w/ Time ATAC Pedals, SRAM 9.0 SL, Easton Monkey Lite bar, Kore Elite stem, Manitou Carbon SX.

Submitted by Teradactyl a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable
Holds a lot of food/gear/tools
Can cinch down if you're riding light
Durable
Pockets are divided/laid out well

Weaknesses:
The actual bladder is a two layer mylar type thing and water gets between the layers.

Bottom Line:
This pack is great. You can even double up on bladders and put two in (the compartment is divided to accomodate this). It is super rugged and very comfortable. It has a substantial waistbelt which seems rare in hydration packs.
It's made in America, not some third world craphole that is liable to attack a Western nation once we support them enough to get them on their feet.
It will hold plenty of stuff. It has straps on the outside for if you want to lash additional gear for really long ride, bike-camping or if you use it for day hikes or some other purpose.The big problem is the mylar type foil bag that holds the water. It is a two layer deal and water has gotten between the layers on two of mine now. That sucks. I got a camelback bladder to go in my gregory pack. I don't want a chintzy bladder in a great pack. Replacements are only $10-$12 for two but I don't like sh!tty products.
Everything else about the pack is great. The bite valve is fine.
Minus 1 fire-turd for the useless foil bladder.

6 months