Ergon BD2-M Water Carrier

Comfort orientated version of the new Ergon backpack for men with central Flink ball joint allows free movement of the upper body. Pressure is equally distributed onto the shoulders which is very gentle on the back. This system allows a highly comfortable carrying sensation. Leightweight day pack version with less volume. Top end comfort orientated version with many innovative details.

Submitted by herothedog a Racer from Lakewood, Co

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Strengths:    Good fit, keeps weight off the shoulders and onto the hips. Simple, not so many pockets things get lost.

Weaknesses:    If not on sale, it is expensive.

Bottom Line:
I hate putting stuff on my back or having to carry extra water, but on the four hour training rides into the Colorado backcountry I have to have stuff to drink, and a little extra food and some clothing just in case. So my only option has been using a Camelback. Well all the Camelbacks I have used tend to put a load on the upper back, and when the trails are already demanding the extra stress on the shoulders just kills. I have only used the BD2 twice, but the whole harness mechanism which works much like some of my hiking backpacks, keeps the majority of the weight on the hips. My shoulders have freedom to move around. The longest ride was 3 hours at high altitude and almost all climbing. I hardly noticed the pack was on me compared to when using a Camelback. So far so good, time will tell on wear and tear. I still don't like to carry a pack, but the Ergon BD2 has been the most tolerable pack I have found so far.

Favorite Trail:   Co Trail Waterton Canyon

Purchased At:   www.competitivecycli

Similar Products Used:   Several different Camelbacks

Submitted by markymark a Cross Country Rider from Gold Coast, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2009

Strengths:    Hmmm, really can't think of any. Oh, it is a good talking point with other mtbers.

Weaknesses:    Terrible build quality, Flink link Gimmicky, Poor design, Expensive

Bottom Line:
I have been a mountain biker for 20 years. This is the worst product I have ever purchased. Do not buy one, they are ridiculous.

I saw a review of this bag in a magazine and thought it looked amazing, so went to a lot of trouble ordering one from the US. Wish I never did.

It promises so much but delivers so little. Sure the flink joint moves with your shoulders, but does it help in any way? NO. It is pointless. It feels like a drunken hobbit is strapped to your back, that's the only way to describe it.

Then comes the design. 1000 long little pockes that nothing fits in, nowhere to put a water bladder, just some elastic cord to hold it in. It is really heavy too! It is meant to be 15L in capacity, but I can fit more stuff in my deuter which is 8L in capacity.

Then the build quality is the worst. The zip breaks or comes undone, the stitching comes undone, the elastic frays, the lap belt falls apart, the lining peels away inside... the list goes on and on.

And it is sooo expensive!

I HATE this bag.