Ergon BD1-M Water Carrier

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

New Ergon backpack for men with central Flink ball joint allows free movement of the upper body. Pressure is equally distributed onto the shoulders which is very gentle on the back. This system allows a highly comfortable carrying sensation. Leightweight day pack version with less volume.

Submitted by ryderjin a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2011

Strengths:    When set up properly, the pack 'disappears' from your back. Plenty of space. Excellent workmanship. The concept of carrying on your hip bones works.

Weaknesses:    Relatively heavy, though this is offset by the carrying system. Backpack needs to be set-up properly before it is useful.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a larger pack for the longer rides, and got this at a deal at Competitive Cyclist (I think this is a discontinued model, though other 'improved' models are around.) That said, if I had to buy it at full price, I would do so again.

When set up properly -- right size, right location of the pivot link on your back -- the weight of the thing completely disappears. In the past with my Camelbaks, I would sometimes feel the weight shifting when going down. With the Ergon, I just completely forget that it is there.

So make sure you get the right size, and spend the time to set it up right.

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Camelbaks...

Submitted by Bula a Cross Country Rider from Potsdam, NY

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Strengths:    Stands up by itself; doesn't fall over in the dirt. Puts most of the weight on the hips and takes a load off the lower back.

Weaknesses:    Heavy; bounces around and rotates when riding; zippers do not operate smoothly.

Bottom Line:
I really wanted to like the pack, not simply because I paid so much for it. I mean, it is such a cool concept! But I have to say, after using it on all my mountain bike rides for nearly three months, I have come to loathe the thing. My biggest complaint is the way it bounces and or rotates to one side or the other and stays there when making technical moves, especially at speed. And this is on a full suspension bike! I can't even use it when riding my hard tail it bounces so much. I think the problem is with the rigid hip belt/plastic skeleton - it feels really good at first, but it doesn't give or mold to the body, and so it forces the pack to get flung around all over the place. I suppose that my problem could be that I have the wrong size or haven't adjusted it correctly (I'm 5'9", 160 lbs, and have the medium), but I've tried it set for all three torso lengths and fiddled with the straps endlessly and always have the same problem. I can't imagine a large would work any better in my case. It also has a rather limited amount of space, particularly given it's weight. I read several reviews of this pack before purchasing, and I can't recall a negative one, so take this for what it may be worth. But I think it's a total dog. I may try to throw this thing up on Ebay or something, so it might be possible to give it a try for kind of cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Stone Valley

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Ultimate Direction. I've gone back to it. Ahhhh.

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Delaware

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, keeps back cool, stands up on ground. Plenty of room for gear.

Weaknesses:    Cost, No bladder with purchase, bladder sleeve possibly limits bladder choices.

Bottom Line:
I really like this pack. The freedom of movement is excellent. Most packs feel like dead weight, this one is so comfortable you forget it's back there. Craftsmanship is excellent. My only quips with it are the belt strap has a tendency to slip during riding. Additionally, this is one expensive hydration pack that comes without a bladder.

Favorite Trail:   Empty