Dakine Nomad Water Carrier

4.73/5 (11 Reviews)

Dakine?s Nomad Hydration Pack is fully stocked with features for trail and freeride mountain biking, and its three-liter bladder keeps you quenched during all-day rides.Air Channel Ventilation helps prevent sweaty-back-syndrome during long climbsHelmet carrier is compatible with full-face or XC designsArmor carry straps let you stash your pads for the ride up, and suit up for the ride downInternal organizer pocket keeps your tools and tubes secure and ready to goFleece-lined sunglass pocket protects your lenses from scratches and dings

Submitted by Gasp4Air a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    Fit, pockets, zippers, rugged build, overall quality

Weaknesses:    Nist: You have to unclip the back panel to fully access the interior. Hip belt pockets might be nice.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding with an old Camelbak Hawg and wanted something with a more substantial hip belt to relieve pressure from the shoulder straps. When I got the Nomad in the mail, I took it and a few cans of soup to the local EMS and compared it to several Ospreys. The Nomad felt best with the weight, and I took its for it's first ride today. The hip belt takes the weight off the shoulders nicely. The fit is excellent for me. The weight is distributed well, with no one point of contact feeling too much pressure. Hip pockets would be a nice addition, but the lower side pockets are accessible without removing the pack. I usually use water bottles, so I can't comment on the pack hydraulic capabilities. Overall , I'm quite pleased with the Nomad.

Duration Product Used:   1 ride

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Cbak Hawg, Cbak Mule, EMS pack

Bike Setup:   Wheels, handlebars, etc

Submitted by Rob Dietz

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Many pockets and compartments for everything you need for a short ride or an epic adventure. Keeps everything organized and easily accessible. Love that the bladder can be pulled inside out to clean and dry. The bite tube sucks and if left open, leaks while riding and have emptied 50oz of water onto my car seats and floorboard.

Weaknesses:    Bite tube sucks and I lost the bladder retainer hook.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this is a bomb proof pack that can handle anything you can throw at it. Vents very well, holds up to many OTB's and abuse. Throw it in the washer a couple times a season and it's good as new. Zippers are heavy duty. I've abused mine for almost 4 seasons but my washing machine ate through one of the zippers in a freak accident which is a total bummer.I;ve been looking at a replacement but nothing I've seen or read about comes close. For the money, this pack can not be beat.You won't be disapointed.

Submitted by James a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    I went from a CamelBak to the Nomad. Huge difference in my opinion. The first time I rode with teh Nomad I didn't use the chest strap and the belt and it stuck to me perfectly. It felt more comfortable thatn my slighlty smaller CamelBak. The venting makes a huge difference. Tons of storage space and the soft pockets for sun glasses and tech is a nice touch. The helmet pocket can be used for so many things, change of clothes or two pint size bottles of IPA.

Bottom Line:
Wish I would have bought this sooner!!!

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village South Bend, IN

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   CamelBak Rogue...2004, maybe 2005 model.

Bike Setup:   Redline 29r Flight Monocog, Rox Shox Recon Silver, Maxxis Ignotors

Submitted by scott.schmitz a Weekend Warrior from Heidelberg, Germany

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2010

Strengths:    -Colors available
-Small profile for so much space
-Price
-The ziplock large opening type bladder is great for cleaning and quick fill/empty.
-Lots of space, pockets and straps. Holds Full-face and ALL of my gear for ride up, and my XC fits snug for the ride down.
-this might be a weird one, but I have noticed that the zippers are very tough, I have been able to zip it up even when it looks as though I couldn't.
-Easy access to bladder (seperate pocket on back)

Weaknesses:    Plastic clip that hold the bladder up in it's pouch is weak, mine snapped on after a few rides. not a big deal, i can still fill it with water and drink it perfectly fine. but just knowing that something is broken gets me.

The end of the tube, is difficult to open when you want a drink, I feel as though I am going to rip my teeth out, and it is too difficult to open with dirty sweaty hands.

Bottom Line:
I definately recommend this bag. I got an older model off of backcountryoutlet.com so I got it cheaper, but I think the only thing that they changed were the actual hydration bladder. So I think the problems that I have might have been fixed by now.

If you carry lots o' stuff with you when you ride then this back is for you. At first I was worried that the bag was going to be too small because I had just ordered a long sleeve, chest/back protector. When I got it I couldn't be more pleased.

On a normal ride in the area I ride up the mountain and then put all my gear on and bomb back down. I carry much more than I need to, but the way I feel is it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. But this is all that I carry in the pack:

knee/shin guards, full bladder of water, first-aid kit, tools, pumps(tire and shock), snacks for myself and my dog, fullface and XC Helmets, 2+ spare tubes, phone, camera/gorrilla mount, and a few other small things. My back plate fits perfectly to the back of the pack, so that is what is touching my back instead of the pack itself, and the chest/arms are folded and stuffed into the main part of the pack.

Purchased At:   backcountryoutlet.co

Similar Products Used:   Inline Skate backpack that could hold my fullface on the outside, and put a camelback bladder inside the pack. (lots of space)

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Pitch Pro (German model)

Submitted by BIGHaroHucker a Downhiller from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Very versitile, comfortable, good storage capacity, love the helmet and shin guard holders. Tons of pockets. Great appearance. I love that the bladder is open top, so that you can get in and clean it well. The nipple locks closed so doesn't leak, and when open you can suck water out with ease.

Weaknesses:    Maybe that it doesn't have a specific ipod/mp3 pocket like my last hydration pack did. There are so many pockets on this thing that I don't really consider that a product weakness.

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing hydration pack, best I have used. I love that it is so versitile and holds so much gear. The Helmet and Shin Guard Straps are amazing. I also love that the outside (flex) pocket is so big. This is the best pack I have ever owned or seen!

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled

Purchased At:   HucknRoll.com

Similar Products Used:   Camelback M.U.L.E.
Platypus Pack

Bike Setup:   Haro X7, Marzocchi 888RC, Fox DHX 5.0, Hayes Stroker Aces, SDG I beam/I sky, Kenda Nevegal Tires, Custom Graphics/Decals

Submitted by kingsx a Downhiller from slc

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Sturdy, Durable, Well thought out details, Doesn't leak, Carries more than I need and carries it well

Weaknesses:    Could be simpler, and would probably drop half a pound as a result, You can't have your riding partner simply pull something from your pack... "which zipper did you say?"

Bottom Line:
There's virtually a place for everything and at 2.5lbs, there ought to be. It's burly though, and it will accommodate a full face helmet and a full set of armor. (arms and legs, anyway) You can strap almost anything to a regular pack, but I doubt you'd enjoy pedaling a bike with a FF helmet flopping around on it. This one was designed to carry the AM tools of the trade, and it shows. Because it was designed to handle heavier, bulkier safety equipment, it does weigh more than a basic hydration pack, but I didn't even notice the extra weight. Before I picked up the Nomad, I'd strap my pads on a 15oz Salomon adventure race pack and not only did it distort the normally ergonomic shape of the pack but it exaggerated the weight of my load. This one seems to make the weight almost disappear and maintains it's structure whether loaded or empty. At 1100ci, I find the volume just right. It handles bulky loads somehow without being bulky itself and despite all the compartments, it also manages to maintain a clean look. I don't just love it, I'm IN love with it.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Temple Quarry

Purchased At:   Go-Ride in SLC, UT

Similar Products Used:   I'm embarrassed to say. (very, very many)

Bike Setup:   It's a BMF, just trust me.

Submitted by bandit350 a Weekend Warrior from asheville, nc

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    great pack, comfortable, lot of thought went into the bladder design. very functional - quick disconnect is great, much easier to open than any camelbak bladder, resists mold.

Weaknesses:    some of the straps are too long if the pack isn't completely full. can't quite cinch it down as much as i want when i don't have much in there. however, these are minor gripes.

Bottom Line:
solid pack. i highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   hermosa / colorado

Similar Products Used:   many camelbaks, most recently the cloud walker

Bike Setup:   yeti 575 - lyrik coil, dhx air, dt 5.1's w/ marz and xt wheels, sram x9, oro k24's.

Submitted by angrychicken a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2008

Strengths:    Holds plenty of gear, great comfort level, & uber durable. This pack can take a beating, I've thrown myself over the bars on plenty of runs and this back shows no sign of wear, works as my back protector! This is a larger pack with great ergonomics, feels much smaller. Able to carry all my repair gear without worries. The quick disconnect tubing for the hydration pack is stellar.

Weaknesses:    Armour straps flat out suck. They won't stay tight and cost me my fox shin/knee guards and elbow/forearms.

Bottom Line:
Picked this pack uber cheap on chainlove. It's worth every penny I paid out ($30ish). The bladder system alone is worth almost what I paid out.
Only gripe is that it lost my gear that was worth more than the pack.

Favorite Trail:   Raven's Roost

Purchased At:   chainlove

Similar Products Used:   REI and Osprey packs.

Bike Setup:   All-Mountain

Submitted by velocityrob a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    This thing has pockets like crazy. Bladder sleeve is a full zip and super easy to access. Main bag has another bladder-sized pocket, but it might be a little snug to use for a second bladder. The accessory pocket has tube and pump pockets and 2 medium mesh pockets for tools, levers- the small stuff that gets lost easy. Need more? You got a helmet holder and 4 more zippered pockets on the outside. this the packrats dream bag.

Weaknesses:    I don't see any yet- its the best bag I've used in 15 years of mountain biking.

Bottom Line:
Some guys ride trails with a water bottle and seatbag.
Other guys take the entire darn tool bench. This bag is for that guy.

Favorite Trail:   FINS secret trail...I didn't tell you about it.

Purchased At:   backcountry.com