Camelbak Transalp Water Carrier

4.57/5 (21 Reviews)

Camelbak Transalp

Submitted by Randal a Weekend Warrior from Grand Junction, CO USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    Rooomy! This is the first CamelBak Pack (I own 3 others)that actually allows me to commute to work and fit everything that I need for the day. Very stable, very comfortable. Exceptionally well made. Much better quality than my 2000 CamelBak Blowfish.

Weaknesses:    None, other than I probably will still use my Blowfish for trail riding cause I just don't like lots of weight when I'm bouncing off of rocks.

Bottom Line:
If you think you might want this pack, buy it now at Campmor.com. They have it on sale right now for an incredible $69.95 !!!!! (as of Nov. 15th, 2004)

Favorite Trail:   Horsethief Bench

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Various CamelBak products

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized S-Works Epic Disk w/ Manatou Minute 3:00, full XTR

Submitted by MsMittens a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2004

Strengths:    Very roomy and seems sturdy. Sits nice on the back and not on the lower lumbar region (something I've had problems with in smaller backpack configurations).

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any except that one of the elastic tightners came off. Very happy with it.

Bottom Line:
For me it's worth it because I can use it on my shorter trips (300KM or less) and it's still good for commuting to and from work along with clothes. I'll also use it for my longer trips (350KM+) to handle remote areas with limited access to services as well as having the immediate important things handy.

Purchased At:   Europe Bound

Similar Products Used:   standard water bottles

Bike Setup:   DeVinci Patriot.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Marin, Calif., USA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    Plenty of storage space, 100 oz. big mouth fill bladder, ergo bend and big bite valve, chest and waist straps. Excellent pack for day hikes - side mesh pockets will hold qt. size Nalgenes, bananas, whatever.

Weaknesses:    Not recommended for long mountain bike rides. Pretty heavy when loaded down with water and other gear you may want to carry along. Really changes your balance, too top heavy. I'll stick with the 70 oz. C'back classic for long rides!

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended for day hikes, not recommended for long rides.

Purchased At:   ON-LINE CATALOG

Similar Products Used:   Camelback Classic, Jansport fanny pack with dual water bottle side carriers

Bike Setup:   Gary Fischer Big Sur

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Fairbanks, Alaska, USA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Strengths:    This thing is great, I use it for everything. I can get it all in, have something to drink, and still have room for other crap.

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far...

Bottom Line:
Buy it online...$30 cheaper than anything youll find in a store. Great product, i have no complaints, and i highly recomend it to any rider.

Purchased At:   Bikesmart.com

Similar Products Used:   Hawg, Alpine

Bike Setup:   Klein Adroit w/XTR and fox fork

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    Durable, roomy, has a raincover that stows, typical CamelBak quality

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey. So much room that you find yourself taking more stuff than what you actually need...OR...your buddies think that since you have the room, YOU can carry their extra stuff...

Bottom Line:
Expensive, but well worth it...no more strapping everything to the OUTSIDE of my mule...a must have for those epic's...

Favorite Trail:   Cannell Plunge

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   CamelBak, original, Pakster (remember those?), and Mule

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2, Marzocchi Atom Z2, XT/XTR, Race Face, Easton, Velomax Climax's

Submitted by chad a Cross Country Rider from brooklyn

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Strengths:    Very comfortable and light. Very well designed and durable pack. Perfect for clothes, tools, food, fits absolutely everything. I especially like the attached rain cover and the mesh netting. The weight difference between this pack and other camelbaks is typically no more than a pound, so it's well worth having the extra space when you need it. when you don't need the room, you can compress the pack down, it's totally malleable. great great design.

Weaknesses:    nothing. i've had no wear whatsoever on the pack and have been using it for a year.

Bottom Line:
this is an awesome, very versatile pack.

Bike Setup:   klein hardtail

Submitted by Brian from Lansing, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    Big, lots of pack room and lots of water.

Weaknesses:    Weak stiching. Can't hold much weight.

Bottom Line:
Really big, but can't actually hold much. Since I bike commute to school I bought it to double to hold my books in during the week, and something to trail ride with on the weekend.

I loved it until I started school. In two weeks the stiching around the zippers in the main compartment have started fraying.

If you need lots of space for light items like clothing it's great. But don't expect it to be that versitile.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   http://www.bikesmart.com

Submitted by J WGG a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    Design, materials, and available space.

Weaknesses:    Nothing to note as of yet.

Bottom Line:
Space,Space,Space...wicked design, comfortable, and got a great deal on it. If you are serious about adventure racing or long rides, get it and suck up the cost. Camelback is the the leader in hydration systems and I have loved every item I have owned from them. GET ONE NOW!

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Similar Products Used:   ROCKET, BLOWFISH, AND M.U.L.E.

Bike Setup:   Zaskar X, RF next LP crank, ti BB, Thompson Stem, XTR RD.

Submitted by Flyer a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    Quality construction by a company who innovated this type of product.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find!

Bottom Line:
I have been using a HAWG, however once I got all my stuff in there, I felt like the pack was pulling me backwards a bit since it was so full. I think the amount of stuff I carry (NMBP Patroller) was causing the pack to be bulky enough to have the weight away from my back far enough to get a sensation of a balance problem. I tried a Trans Alp, and no problems now! I get all the same gear in and it is closer to my back instead of stacked further away, and it feels much more balanced! The extra room is nice for jackets or other seasonal items. In addition, I can carry all my usual gear, and there is more than enough room to put an extra bladder in there if the need arose. I couldn't do that with the HAWG and still carry all my equipment. Definately a good purchase if you haul lots of gear, or want something you can hike and bike with. Probably not a good choice if you want to be streamlined or simply don't carry that much extra equipment when you ride.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Mule and HAWG

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant NRS AIR, 2002 Giant xtc se2 with many upgrades.

Submitted by ProcaliberWill from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    Very roomy, like a backpack but with the right type of ventilation material. Holds shoes and helmet for longer or overnight rides. Has a rainfly that works.

Weaknesses:    2001 looks much better than the 2000. The 2000 I used began to get all deformed because the straps holding it together were wearing out. The 2001 fixed that with the helmet cover pouch the kinda wraps the bag. It looks much better too. Greatest weakness is the price and lack of warranty. Lombardi's was kind enough to replace my 2000 for a 2001 after I came in with a retarded looking TransAlp. Not enough easy access pockets for food or tools.

Bottom Line:
Get it if your planning to use it for more than one activity. I realized the Mule was setting me back when I was snowboarding and hiking since it lacked a good amount of space. It also looked a little funny when I used it for other sports, although I could care less. The Hawg is my next investment since it seems to be halfway between my dilemma of space. The TransAlp is perfect for the climber or epic trip.

Purchased At:   Lombardi's Sport

Similar Products Used:   Mule
Lowe Alpine

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Procaliber OCLV version

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Hibbing, Mn. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    lots and lots of room!!
rain cover that really works!
works good in winter months also!!
100 oz. bladder.

Bottom Line:
i ride by myself for the most part. with the Trans Alp i can pack a lunch or two, and still have room for the other things i need on my long rides.
if you ride by yourself this pack is a must!!

Favorite Trail:   The Old Hull Road

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   other non specific back packs

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90 Disc

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Plenty of pockets and several ways to adjust the straps. The rain cover is a great bonus.

Weaknesses:    Even when the straps are fully extended, inside pocket access is a little tight.

Bottom Line:
A great pack redesigned for 2001. I can put everything I need in this pack for a day ride or use it on a long hike. It's very versitile and comfortable. I don't know what the previous design was but the shoulder straps are contoured, the pack is padded against your back and it has an outer zippered pocket for quick access to an energy bar or your keys. I wanted a pack that is multi-purpose and this one does it all.

Favorite Trail:   All of Them

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Camelback Flash-Flow

Submitted by Chris Greene a Cross Country Rider from Mountain VIew, CA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Strengths:    Storage Space, design.

Weaknesses:    None. It soes exactly what it is designed to do.

Bottom Line:
I love it. This pack is definetly designed for longer rides. If your going on a supported group ride, this is more pack than you need. If you ride solo or are going for long rides, I wouldn't bring any thing else. The pack's storage area is designed perfectly. Everything in it's place and a place for everything. I use the extra space that the H.A.W.G is lacking all the time.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch

Bike Setup:   2000 Gary Fisher Kaitai plus upgrades.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Strengths:    huge 1500 cubic inch storage capacity
strong and very durable construction (durable=heavy)
external mesh pockets that securely hold helmet and shoes
enough straps to tighten anything... or tie anything to the outside of the pack
integrated raincover that works
detachable reflective strips
seperate compartment (inside the big one) for wet cloths storage that cinchs tight

Weaknesses:    not much i can complain about really, i could say its heavy... but it needs to be to be this durable and you don't feel the weight once its on your back, i could say the straps are to long and the extras dangle but you can easily tuck them into one of the mesh pockets and you never know when you will all that length for something.
only thing that would be nice is if it had one or two more small zippered compartments on the outside... not that there isn't enought storage - it just takes a minute to search through everything to find what you need sometimes

Bottom Line:
I use this pack every day for commuting in all weather, and it hasn't let me down... i can definately reccomend this product. my shoes are held tightly in the mesh pockets by two straps and covered by the rain cover to keep them dry.