Camelbak Siren Water Carrier

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Built to fit your lifestyle, this versatile system is great for hikes, rides, or any other adventure; shorter length is perfect for women and kids. Omega(TM) Access Port makes filling and cleaning your reservoir easier than ever. Big Bite(TM) valve offers increased water flow; Ergo HydroLock(TM) offers leak-free transport and ergonomically positions bite valve. Cool and breathable mesh harness keeps you comfortable even during intense workouts; sternum strap improves stability. Efficient over-the-shoulder tube routing puts water right where you want it. High-strength nylon exterior with closed cell insulation to keep cold drinks cool, hot drinks hot. Flexible 50 fluid ounce polyurethane reservoir delivers tremendous burst strength. External zip pocket for essentials; reflective to improve visibility in low light. Advanced ergonomic styling improves aerodynamics for road cyclists.

Submitted by Tyler Hays a Weekend Warrior from Lubbock

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    It small light and enough room to carry just want you need. A great race pack.

Weaknesses:    It only hold enough water for a short 1-2 hours ride. And it pocket is very small so it can only hold what you need.

Bottom Line:
It was the first camelbak I ever got and I will say it was great to have a hydo pack but at the same time it only held 50oz of water which I would burn though in under 2 hours and I could only carry the bare essenisal in it, wallet, cell phone, multi-tool, patches, tube and a mini pump, and that was pushing it. I normally would still put my saddle bag on my bike and move the tube and what not to their. A month ago I got the M.U.L.E as a gift from my parents so that has become my main pack since it carries more water and everything I need.
Now I still use my Siren every now and then and it is my main race pack now since it is light wait and I only need to carry what I need with no real extras. So for racing I think it is great since it is a lot lighter than the mule and I only need 1.5 liters of water any how.

Favorite Trail:   MLK

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak M.U.L.E and water bottles

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper

Submitted by PDK a Racer from Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Small, lightweight, does not slide around on back or shoulders (also due to the chest strap). Much easier to drink from than a bottle while racing. Just enough room for essential items (i.e., CO2, levers, chain tool).

Weaknesses:    Baby blue or gray--not much choice in terms of color selection.
You probably don't want the Siren if you ride out in the middle of nowhere for large blocks of time (>4 hours).

Bottom Line:
I race at the Sport level, which means I'm typically out for around 2 hours. 50oz of water is plenty for me (and I make sure I'm hydrated before I get to the start line). I barely notice that I have it on, which is more than I can say for my old CamelBak. And anyone who's ever used any CamelBak would probably agree that it's much easier to drink from one of these than to reach down, grab a bottle, drink, and put it back on the bike, all without dropping. Bottom line is that the Siren is a great product for racing or for training rides.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Similar Products Used:   CamelBak Rogue, water bottles

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Mt. Tam 29"

Submitted by PDK a Racer from Orrville, OH

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    Small, holds plenty of water (for racing) and does not slide around on my back or shoulders. Easy to clean. Just enough pocket space for essentials (i.e., CO2, chain tool, levers).

Weaknesses:    You probably don't want this if you want to do day-long riding out in the middle of nowhere.

Bottom Line:
I race at the sport level, which means I'm typically on the bike for around 2 hours. The Siren's 50oz is plenty of water for me over that duration (I also make sure I'm already hydrated before I hit the starting line). I prefer the Siren over water bottles because many times it's difficult to reach down for water during a race (and it's difficult to hold on to them as well). Because of its good fit and small size I don't notice the Siren on my back like I did my old Rogue. Bottom line is that this is a great product for racing. If you're going to be out for long periods of time then move up to something with more capacity/pocket space.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Rogue, water bottles.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher 29" Mt. Tam.

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    This is a very good camelback for around 1 to 1 1/2 Hours of use. Any longer and you just get to thirsty. Very small so it doesn't wobble around much and you barely notice that you're wearing it.

Weaknesses:    Not enough water except for less then 1 1/2 hours of riding. Too little capacity all I can fit in mine is a patch kit and a few tire levers.

Bottom Line:
Get this camelback if you don't need to carry more then a patch kit and tire levers and you have an air pump mound on your bike. Also only consider if you ride for less then 1 1/2 hours. Next to be getting the Blowfish! :)

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Waterbottles

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock with a few upgrades

Submitted by Jeff P. a Weekend Warrior from Massapequa

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    Small,clip thing

Weaknesses:    Small storage area

Bottom Line:
great for any ride just enough room to carry tools and everything you need good amount of water storage has a little clip thing to clip it onto the pack so it dont bounce around

Favorite Trail:   Still Well

Purchased At:   Brands

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 with odi grips and soon getting avid disc brakes and marzocchi mxr front shocks

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Strengths:    50 oz is good for short rides. Comfy. Improved ease-of-use with new bladder.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
The wide mouth bladder is an improvement. This pack fills a nitch between loooong rides and "just need a water bottle" rides. Comfy enough for road riding, too.