Camelbak Rogue Water Carrier

4.27/5 (86 Reviews)

Carry the fluids you need for a two-plus hour ride with the CamelBak Rogue Hydration Backpack. This streamlined pack features the new Antidote reservoir, which includes baffles in the body that allow the reservoir to maintain a low profile when full, and a lightweight, quick-seal cap that can be accessed without having to pull the reservoir out of the pack. The Rogue holds two liters of water, a bike mini-pump, tools, and an energy bar, while an external zip pocket holds your keys. The new Air Channel back panel and mesh harness increases airflow so you stay comfortable as you pedal away the miles.

Submitted by mtbnoobadam a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Strengths:    Tough materials, enough storage for shorter rides and comfortable

Weaknesses:    Only holds enough water and supplies for shorter rides and it could benefit from a waist strap

Bottom Line:
A good pack for shorter rides. It's durable and comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   1-9er

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   academy

Bike Setup:   2010 Gt Avalanche 1.0

Submitted by systalik a Weekend Warrior from Olathe, Kansas, United States

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2012

Strengths:    good durable camelbak with enough water to get you through short-medium length rides. large fill port with twisting cap makes the bladder extremely easy to fill and it is just beneath a flap so you don't have to take the bladder out to fill it. This camelbak has repeatedly proven to be tough, I have landed a few times on my back on anything from dirt to rock garden and do not have any tears, broken seams, or leaks in the bladder

Weaknesses:    storage space, has enough space for wallet phone and spare tube. i have to keep my pump in one of the mesh pockets on the outside of the pack using the compression straps to keep it in place. the pump hasn't fallen out yet but doesn't feel or seem very secure and i am always checking to make sure i still have it

Bottom Line:
this is a good hydration pack if you are looking for something for a short ride if you don't need to carry much with you

Purchased At:   BikeSource

Similar Products Used:   generic coleman hydration pack

Submitted by Hill-Pumper a Cross Country Rider from Willamete Valley OR

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Light, good for short trips

Weaknesses:    Storage,lack of bottom strap

Bottom Line:
Granted, this pack is designed for short trips, but it still could use more storage. When I ride, I like to have a multi-tool, a mini pump, several CO2 cartridges, a tube, which fills one compartment. The other compartment is filled with a my wallet, cell phone, and keys. If you want more then that, forget it. Even a small camera will not fit with a full water reservoir. Also, there is no waist strap, which cause it slap your back over bumps. It does not hurt or anything, but is just annoying. In its defense, it has been a good durable pack even after a few good hard crashes. It has served its purpose, I just need a little more storage for what I really want to carry.

Favorite Trail:   Cuffed

Purchased At:   Peak Sports

Similar Products Used:   None yet

Bike Setup:   Does not apply to this item.

Submitted by JBadiner a Cross Country Rider from Plainwell, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    Perfect for that 2 hour ride. Carries all I need on the loop. Plenty of water and holds my phone/keys/multi-tool with more room for a snack if I needed it.

Weaknesses:    None, other than a sweaty back if you take it off and put it back on. Same as any other pack.

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect size for those shorter rides. If you were going on a day trip, you might want more than 70oz, but this works for me. I recommend it!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   None...

Bike Setup:   KHS 904 Team, Full XTR, SID Worldcup, Fox RP3, WTB Weirwolf Tubless

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, IL USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2008

Strengths:    Simply put, it does what it's supposed to do. I wanted a pack that was simple, easy to use and aerodynamic. It is all that plus it has been very durable. I've used my Rogue for over 6 years and the thing is still solid....and I do a lot of riding and use it on my road bike as well as my mountain bike. I've had to replace the resevoir once and the bite valve twice in that time span. If I know I'm going on a ride longer than 2 hours I'll take an extra water bottle or have a spot or two where I know I can refill. This pack has been exactly what I was expecting.

Weaknesses:    I "would" say the storage capacity but I can't really do that when I knew exactly what the capacity was when I bought it. If I wanted more capacity either for storage or for the bladder, I would have gotten a different pack. So, really I have no complaints.

Bottom Line:
When I purchased this pack I knew exactly what I was getting. All the details were spelled out for me. If I find my storage a little limited then I improvise. Wearing a jersey with pockets is always an option...as is mounting a bottle cage and carrying an extra bottle. I find it equallly useful on my mountain bike or my road bike. Until it falls apart or gets trashed in a crash I will continue to use it. I couldn't be happier with the value and performance of the Rogue. Kudos to CamelBack for a great hydration pack!

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Platypus 70 oz pack

Bike Setup:   '05 Cannondale F1000

Submitted by Gregg a Cross Country Rider from Riverside

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    Durablity, easy to refill/clean, light

Weaknesses:    Too small

Bottom Line:
To me it seems that if you are going to use a Camelback, it is going to be a long ride. In which case you need to carry not only plenty of water, but also plenty of stuff(food, tubes, pumps, etc). Otherwise you could go with a water bottle and a seat bag. This bag doesnt carry enough water for a three hour ride in warm weather. I can get by if I also bring a water bottle though. The storage capacity of this thing is also very weak. It can barely hold my multi tool, tube and pump, let alone the food, camera, wallet, phone and such that I would usually like to take on a three hour tour. Howerever, when I am riding my freeride bike, which doesnt have a water bottle cage, this pack works pretty well (I'll usually just take my phone and multitool). In all, if you take long rides, definitely go with the mule. This is good if you take short rides and you dont mind a pack being strapped to your back.

Similar Products Used:   MULE

Bike Setup:   05 cannondale jekyll, 07 specialized sx trail

Submitted by Drew Cheung from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Strengths:    Simple, minimal extraneous stuff, good storage design

Weaknesses:    the elastics around the mesh pockets may stretch, making it insecure. im always worred about a branch catching my exposed pump and ripping it out of the mesh pocket.

Bottom Line:
Great for 1-2 hour rides (I drink a moderate amount). It's light, very easy to fill, and looks great. The zipper compartment easily holds a tube and tools or a cell phone and some clif bars. There is another larger pocket flanked by two mesh pockets as well, but they are open. The larger pocket is 'closed' when you snap the bladder cover into place, so its a good place for holding larger items. The mesh pockets can hold a pump, etc.

Holds 2L, which is perfect for me. My rides dont last that long, but when they do its not that hard to stop and refill it. The straps are easily adjustable and come with a neat velcro strap that holds the excess strap in a rolled up ball so it wont get in your way. The contact surface is padded with about an inch of foam, and is meshed so it dries easily. I've used this thing as a pillow on overnight trips, and its saved my back many times after going over the bars.

Good buy!

Bike Setup:   04 stumpjumper fsr, avid bb7s

Submitted by Andrew Cho a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    Cheaper and lighter than the M.U.L.E with 70oz rather than 100oz. But the pack is fillable from the outside you just unclip the top flap. It's the absolutely perfect hydration pack for people who don't need to carry everything with them. There are two zipper compartments and one elastic pouch that'll fit a couple energy bars, cell phone, keys, mini pump, multi-tool, tubes, etc.

This pack looks good, keeps you hydrated, and is very comfortable. I managed to get this one for sale at ebags for $24 which is a steal, but wouldn't have minded paying $50 for it.

Weaknesses:    None.

I had the 6" Topeak MT MasterBlaster pump and decided to return it for the Turbo Morph pump, which is a lot larger. At that point I was regretting this purchase and thought i'd have to get the M.U.L.E as well. But I was pleasantly surprised that I could fit the pump inside the bag next to the reservoir.

Bottom Line:
Completely beyond satisfied with this pack. If you're a hardcore XC rider who goes out for 4+ hours often I recommend getting a 100oz pack. But for everyone else who packs fairly light this is the perfect choice.

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   ebags.com

Similar Products Used:   M.U.L.E, Hydropak, Classic, Hawg, & various other brand hydration packs.

Bike Setup:   05' Kona Unit

Submitted by Jacob from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2006

Strengths:    More water than carrying bottles. Gives you room for some basic gear.

Weaknesses:    Not a lot of space at all. I had to by a seat bag for extra space.

Bottom Line:
It is probably a better value for roadies than mountain bikers. It carries 70 oz of water wich means in a 3 hour ride i go through a bladder and a half of liquid. So i have to stop to refil but the refil is super easy. It only has enough space for a tube, pump, tool and cell phone. Only the tool and cell phone can be stored in the zippered pocket and you can fit a wallet in the mesh pocket ontop of the resovior. The tube and pump have to be placed on the outside and sinched down using the strap. Its a good value but if you mountain bike you should at least by a mule or biger. I will be buying a mule before the summer season starts

Favorite Trail:   North park

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   03 rockhopper fsr xc (specialized)

Submitted by Robert Winters a Cross Country Rider from Appleton, WI USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    Dries quickly and thoroughly.
Stops discoloration and growth of bacteria.
Extends reservoir life.

Weaknesses:    Uses electricity

Bottom Line:
Much better than traditional spreader/hanger.

Favorite Trail:   Sunny Valley Nature Preserve, CT