Camelbak Rocket Water Carrier

4.16/5 (32 Reviews)

Versatile pack functions off-road and on with its sleek design--perfect for the multi-dimensional cyclist. Load it up for off-road adventures with tubes, pump, wallet, mini-tool, wind vest, bananas and energy bars, or just fill the reservoir for road riding. Aeroform(TM) 72-ounce baffled reservoir maintains an aerodynamic, low profile. Removable GelPocket(TM) holds your energy food and is conveniently located on the front of the shoulder strap for easy access. Pleated, expandable cargo space includes double zip panel with two organizers and pump holder. Venturi(TM) back panel allows for increased ventilation; insulated tube cover for cool water the first sip. Features Big Bite(TM) valve and screw cap closure; Ergo HydroLock provides ergonomic Bite Valve positioning and ensures leak-proof transport. Removable sternum and waist strap offer convenience and stability.

Submitted by SHALAKO a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad,CA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2009

Strengths:    Very light even when bladder is filled. Has enough room for everything you need on shorter rides.

Weaknesses:    Probably too small for longer rides but thats why I use my Camelback Havoc on longer rides.

Bottom Line:
Perfect Camelback for shorter rides. GREAT value!

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Purchased At:   Campmor?

Similar Products Used:   Camelback Havoc

Submitted by Pete Fellows a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight even when loaded up with water.
Baffled reservoir to prevent sloshing.
Room for energy bars, bananas, pump & tools

Weaknesses:    Chest strap not wide enough, however even when removed the pack was stable on my back.

Bottom Line:
Great

Favorite Trail:   Follow the dog

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Water bottle

Bike Setup:   Kona Cinder cone

Submitted by KPVSR a Cross Country Rider from LaGrange,GA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Strengths:    Light, comfortable & stable. Holds 70oz, enough for a decent ride. Easy to fill & clean.

Weaknesses:    I found the waist strap not needed and uncomfortable so it is not used. The bladder gets a little hard to open if it is tightened too much.

Bottom Line:
I feel this is an excellent hydration pack for a 1-2 hour ride. I bring along an extra bottle in real hot weather but rarley need it. Some may need less or more fluids but for me this is about perfect.
For those having problems with the plastic backing bulging out I feel they are loading the bladder incorrectly. I had the problem twice and noticed it only happens when I try and force the bladder in. If I just get it started and shake it down it slides in just fine and leaves plenty of room in the pockets for anything needed for a 2 hour ride.
Filling the bladder is very easy with the extra large opening. I can use the ice dispenser on the fridge door for when I need to add ice. The large opening also makes it easy to clean.

Favorite Trail:   anything unpaved

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   two wheels, a frame, handle bars, seat and variuos other components.

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks awesome, holds just enough stuff, keeps water cool

Weaknesses:    NONE! If there was one, it would have to be the fact that you cant fill the bladder up 100% and have stuff in the pockets, otherwise the plastic X frame thingo wont pup back in properly

Bottom Line:
Best Camelbak available.
Its awesome for mtb riding... holds enough water for a 2.5-3hr ride, also enough room for a spare tube, pump, multitool, phone and ipod.
The X frame thing makes it heaps cumfy on your back. Bladder and tube is also well insulated

Bike Setup:   Scott frame (hardtail), SRAM x7 drivetrain, rockshox Recon fork

Submitted by Garick a Cross Country Rider from Buffalo, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Strengths:    Bite valve, resevoir, compact, lightweight

Weaknesses:    the exo skeleton thing

Bottom Line:
its compact and lightweight but still holds plenty of stuff. It will hold the full bladder, tube, mini pump, co2 inflater w/ an extra cartridge, tire lever, small patch kit, mini tool, chain tool, cell phone, keys without a problem. I did have problems with the exo air thing bulging out with the bladder full, making it pretty uncomfortable. It was fine the first few rides but its really flimsy now and does nothing. I just pulled it out, I never noticed any extra ventilation anyway. I got it on clearance too so it was a great buy.

Submitted by Joe Mangan a Weekend Warrior from Scripps Ranch, San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Strengths:    this camelbak is soooo light. it feels so great to have this for your short under 2 hour rides. I actually can ride faster now because im not carrying a huge jansport pack (and i mean huge 1800 cu in). the insulated tube is great! hear in sandy eggo it gets pretty hot. with this tube the water stays cool and refreshing. also i like the pinch thingy on the bite valve. now i dont have to risk getting my pants wet from the valve (most of the time that doesnt happen). the top of the bladder is right on the pack. if you open up the first zipper/valcro the top is right there. you can just hold your backpack under the sink, fridge water, gatorade thingy or whatever

Weaknesses:    cant carry much. you could probably fit your cell phone, your wallet, your car and house keys, and maybe a bar of candy or enrgybar. this shouldnt be used for long rides.

Bottom Line:
this is a great backpack if you dont want to go too far. it doesnt carry much, therefore it is so lightweight. I used to not even bring any water for my under 2 hour rides. but now i can where this and it will feel the same as.....having nothing on my back. If you want to get a high quality camelbak- put your faith in the Rocket.

Favorite Trail:   tour de julian super d

Purchased At:   Action Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   jansport odyssey (100 oz.), CamelBak Lobo (no!!!!)

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpy 120 disc pro

Submitted by MAXXED a Cross Country Rider from Honolulu, HI

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2005

Strengths:    Great ventilation system. Keeps your back cool and comfortable. Reflective strip is great for night riding.

Weaknesses:    Minimal storage space.

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect hydration pack for my riding style. The ventilation system is a very desirable feature. After coming back with a dripping wet shirt several times after 2 1/2-3 hour long rides using the Lobo, it got old really fast.
I haven't had any problems with the X-Brace bulging out. The brace is pretty thick and takes quite a bit of force to invert it, so those having a problem with it are either gorillas, or your bladder is filled to the brim and looks like a balloon fish!
I don't fill the bladder to the brim, but fill it to the 40-45 oz. mark (about 3/4 full). It is a tight fit in the pack, but holding the Rocket by the carrying loop and shaking it, helps the bladder to drop into place.
The baffled bladder is a slick feature. It doesn't make the gurgling sounds when hitting bumps like the Lobo's bladder. I suspect you'll really feel the difference when doing some high speed, g-force inducing turns, or extreme downhill runs.
The Rocket is also more comfortable around the shoulders than the Lobo. The Lobo feels narrower and more restrictive on upper body movement.
The Rocket feels wider on the shoulders, allowing more upper body movement.
The ventilated shoulder straps are a nice touch, too.
The Rocket is also shorter than the Lobo by several inches.
Because it sits up higher on your back, it seems to give a more balanced feel when riding.
The Lobo had a tendency to feel like it's putting more weight on your lower back and butt, shifting your center of gravity to the rear of the bike.
I do agree with everyone else on the limited amount of cargo capacity in the Rocket. If you're thinking of giving up your seatbag and putting everything in the Rocket, that's not going to happen. You'll be lucky to pack an energy bar, a very small cell phone, your car keys, and not much else.
The neoprene insulation around the water tube works like a charm.
No more warm water for the first gulp!
For those having a problem drying the bladder, go to Walmart and pickup a pack of wiffle balls in the toy department. They are plastic balls with a lot of open slots cut into them. They are about the size of a baseball. I drilled out even more holes for better drying and airflow.
I stick one in each side of the bladder to dry it out, and it works great!
The Rocket is basically designed as a high performance hydration pack, period.
It keeps your back cool (and you comfortable), has an excellent center of gravity feel, and allows great upper body movement with little restriction.
It is not an all day pack that you can stuff full with everything you can think of.
If you're looking for a high performance hydration pack for serious riding, this is the one to get. You can always refill it if you run out of H20, and you're back in action.
It's a lot harder to try to make an uncomfortable pack into a comfortable one.
If you're planning on stuffing a gallon of water on your back, and want to carry your entire toolkit, get a MULE or a Blowfish.
Sorry, but you can't have both. I choose performance first.
It works for me!

Favorite Trail:   outdoors!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Lobo, FlashFlo

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Fury, XTR front and rear derailleurs, Avid BB disc brakes, XT crankset, Manitou SPV Air shock, Race Face stem, Easton Monkeylite riser bar.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2005

Strengths:    Keeps me hydrated, chest and waist straps are a must, and it's held up for a long time.

Weaknesses:    None really.... I've been using it for a long long time and the material is just starting to fray along the edges. I don't want to be swayed by all the other people's complaints.

Bottom Line:
I've used it for over three years... and although I'm finally considering upgrading to a Mule, this Camelbak has served me well. I don't know anything about this "X-brace" people are mentioning... either it was removed before I bought mine (if that's possible) or I just never noticed it. Yes it gets awkward when you fill the bladder and stuff a pump and tube in the storage space as well, but I don't really care. Usually I go for short rides anyway and get by with half full bladder and just my keys. Any Camelbak would work for that. Bottom line is: the ole' Rocket has frayed edges and white sweat rings all the way around and I keep using it just about every weekend, summer spring, fall, and to complete the cliche, winter. Does this review really change your mind about the Rocket or persuade you to buy one? No. Just ride your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Elk Meadows or Green Mountain

Purchased At:   local Re-Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Zoid.... no storage space.

Bike Setup:   Doesn't matter.... I use it to bike, hike, ski, and kayak.

Submitted by Logan Beveridge a Cross Country Rider from Stevens Point, WI

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    Breatable, light, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Ummmm.....haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I just bought this, even though the reviews made me nervous. All the talk about how you can't fold the plastic frame back once you fill it with water concerned me the most, but I've not had any problems with this. I fill it to the brim, fold the frame back out, and it fits just fine. As for the cargo space, it is diminished when the bladder's full, but there's still some room in there, mostly at the bottom below the bladder. Probably enough room for a tube, cell phone, wallet, keys, and tire levers, but I haven't tried stuffing it with much yet. Anyway, I've never posted a review on here before and I wanted to let people know that the reviews below may not be accurate for the latest version of this pack. I definitely agree about it being pricy (three stars value), but it was a gift so that wasn't an issue for me. Happy trails to you! (singing cowboy)

Purchased At:   Budget Bicycle, Madison

Similar Products Used:   Water bottle, with a cage to hold it!

Submitted by MTN Muncher a Cross Country Rider from Romeo, MI USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Well made, insulated tubing

Weaknesses:    exo-skeloton designed to keep pack off your back reduces storage and makes filling difficult

Bottom Line:
This review is for the '03 or '04 model (newer version)
I purchased this model because I ruined the bladder in my older Rocket Camelbak, & the complete unit wasn't that much more than a replacement reservoir.

Like other people have stated the exo-skeloton just dosen't work with a full reservoir. Eventually I removed the plastic exo-skeloton which makes the unit much more usable (although no back cooling affect), but your able to get more storage out of it. Since I still have backpack from the older version, I'll switch the reservoir between the two. (Older Rocket = more storage, Newer Rocket = more aero dynamic)

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Older Camelbak Rocket

Submitted by Bullwinkle Moose a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, keeps sweat off your back, lightweight, bite valve

Weaknesses:    NO STORAGE SPACE IF YOU FILL THE RESERVOIR MORE THAN 1/2 FULL

Bottom Line:
This pack is great if you plan on riding for about an hour. Any more than that you'll get thirsty since you can't even fill the reservoir more than 1/2 full. If you do, the frame won't go concave if you have ANYTHING else in the pack (seriously). I'd recommend this pack if you want a good-looking, lightweight pack for short rides. NOT for anything else.

Favorite Trail:   Avalon

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Various other CamelBaks.

Bike Setup:   XC Hardtail, SID

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Tustin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Looks. I like the versatility of the straps with the way you can just do belly, or chest, or both. The insulated mouth tube keeps the water cooler than it normally would be. The insulation inside the pack keeps the water cool.

Weaknesses:    Design. There is a plastic exo-air piece in the back that is designed to be concave to keep the pack off your back. When you fill it up, you bend the plastic panel out to "open" the water pouch. The problem is, when you fill the reservoir any more than 1/2 way and have any gear in the pack, that plastic piece remains convex so the entire pack rests on your back. I spent the extra $$ for a pack that kept the sweat off my back, but this design flaw turns this bag back into just a regular old camelbak.

I spent a lot of time researching camelbaks online, reading countless reviews but only 1 or 2 reviews touched on this subject. If I had to do it over again I would buy a different camelbak.

I mostly bike 2 - 3 times per week for about 1.5 hours each ride so the water capacity is fine. All I can carry in the pak is a pump, first aid kit, cell phone, energy bar, and keys. It would be nice to have room for some small tools.

Bottom Line:
If the exo air system worked properly, this would be an awesome bag. I look forward to the end of my ride when there is barely any water left so the pack functions properly and stays off my back....very cool(temperature-wise).

I wish it had a little more storage capacity for equipment.

I recommend Camelbak, but not particularly this model.

3 chili's for value because I could have had the same features for much less. Overall rating 2 chili's for the design flaw.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Old camelbak...I forget the model. Water bottles.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900

Submitted by Terry Adams a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, fit, comfort, cool (as in temperature cool)

Weaknesses:    X-type frame, storage.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 2004 model. I love this hydro pack. Its ergonomic design makes it light and unobtrusive. The lockable bite valve is great. Holds enough water for a 2-hour ride, and since my regular route takes 1-2 hours, it's perfect. The "cooling system" works V well in that it allows for airflow between my back and the pack itself. My only gripe is the frame. While it enhances ergonomics, making the pack contour nicely to the curve of my back, it also means that when the bladder is full, internal storage is compromised somewhat.

Favorite Trail:   Devils Peak