Camelbak Razor Water Carrier

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

CamelBak Razor

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Strengths:    It holds a ton of water, its convienant. Saves me time because I don't got to worry about a water bottle.

Weaknesses:    No storage. Have to have my brother take my keys everytime

Bottom Line:
It kick ass. Besides the no storage thing I don't notice it at all. Which is exactly what you want it to be, oblivious.

Bike Setup:   2002 SJ Comp, few upgrades

Submitted by Shad Reed a Racer from West Point

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Strengths:    Low Profile;
Volume

Weaknesses:    No storage

Bottom Line:
I like the low profile of the razor and thought that I'd like the tube director thing that is supposed to hold the tube in place. That doesn't work very well. I also wish that it at least had a little storage room. I think that if I had it to do over again I wight just forego the aero form of the razor and get one of the more versatile camelbacks. 70 ozs is a good volume though.

Purchased At:   sierra trading post (online)

Bike Setup:   Tri bike

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Billings, MT

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2000

Strengths:    Low profile, adjustable bite valve

Weaknesses:    No Cargo capacity

Bottom Line:
I wanted something that could be used for racing and my original Camelbak had one drawback that was really annoying. The thin nylon shoulder straps could really cut into your skin, especially w/ a sleeveless jersey. The Razor solves that by putting pads under the straps.

I really like how low profile it is and it's not a big hump in your back. When I first got it, I didn't think I would like how it sat on my back because it's a little higher up than other Baks that I have had but after quite a few rides, it is really quite comfortable.

It doesn't slide around and the hose makes it so you don't have to fumble around trying to find the end to get it to your mouth.

I would much rather have the sweat that it generates than the crud from the trail all over my water bottle lid.

The only downside is it has NO carrying capacity for other goods so I wouldn't recommend it for long off-road adventures where you would want to carry food and/or extra clothing and such.

Favorite Trail:   The ones that can be ridden

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Original Camelbak, HAWG

Bike Setup:   Wheels, handlebar, brakes, seat, shifters, pedals. You name, I got it.

Submitted by Special Ed a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Aero, sleek.

Weaknesses:    needs sternum strap

Bottom Line:
Real nice hydration system, I like the Illuminite sides because it keeps cars away from me.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Barbara Bike Tour

Similar Products Used:   blackburn pipeline

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000, full XT, Spin wheels, Michelin Wildgripper Sprints

Submitted by Simon a Racer from Rimouski, Quebec

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2000

Strengths:    Light, straps are comfortable, aerodynamic (might not make a difference, but is stille a strength!), new screw on cap, never leaks, holds lots of liquid, looks cool too!

Weaknesses:    Could use some kind of netting on the back to hold small things like power gel packs. The metal guide that runs along the tube. A bit expensive.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent product. It does what it's supposed to do very well. If you've never used a camelbak, try it. You won't regrett it! This is really a race version of the camelbak. Very little storing space. Very compact. Since Power gel use during races is becoming more and more frequent, they could have added a small pouch or elastic netting on the back side to put the gels in. But that's being pretty picky! The metal guide for the tube kept the hose right in my face while riding. Anoing! I prefer having it hanging on my shoulder. I fixed this by cutting half of the metal guide. Now the 1/2 guide that is left keeps the hose in place half way down my shoulder, but the last half (near the mouth piece) is still flexible so it gets out of the way when I don't need it.

This is still the best race oriented hydration system out there. 5 chillies for me!!!!

Favorite Trail:   1991 World championships course (Bromont, Quebec)

Similar Products Used:   Water bottles, Old Camelbak hydration system

Bike Setup:   XC Race bike.

Submitted by Jana Lingo a Cross-Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Strengths:
Just the right size waist strap

Weaknesses:
Have to take off bite valve to seperate resvoir from pack

Bottom Line:
thsi is great! Iwanted some with more capacity than my half bak, but less than the HAWG. I like to chill the water in Refrigerator overnight, so have to take the bite valve off is a little annoying.

I have to choose ?

3 months

CamelBak halfbak, HAWG

GT Force, GT XCR 4000

Submitted by Cat Daver a Cross-Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Strengths:
New screw off cap,illuminite,new tube director lets you position the bite valve how you want it

Weaknesses:
Makes my back sweat more,but you can use the IceBak option

Bottom Line:
I really like this, camelback gets better every year with new options.Worth my money because this keeps me more hydrated than water bottles. This is more for roadies like me but I also use it for mountain biking and in-line skating. Holds a good 72 oz of H2O and I don't even have to reach for the bite valve since I can position the tube director close to my mouth.The illuminite is great for my 4 am rides. I strongly recommend this especially for roadies, but if you're like me (I love biking both the road and the trails), you'll get plenty of use out of it doing various sports.But if you want space for your gear/tools, you really won't get much, try the Mule,TransAlp, or HAWG.

Still Exploring

3 months

Camelback's Mule and Aeroback

Specialized S-Works FSR XC
LeMond Alpe d'Huez

Schwalbe Magic Mary/Rocket Razor availability

Anyone know when the 650b versions of these will be available?Read More »

Shimano Deore XT (M785) 2012 brake with KCNC Razor rotors?

Anybody running this combo to report performance or any compatibility problems? Comparison to ice-tech? Thanks.Read More »

Tip - Razor blade and crazy glue saves the day!

So this weekend, I was making adjustments to a bike and jumped on and headed out for the local farm roads. Seems I've been fixing a lot of people's bikes lately. Well, a few miles from the house riding through the farm roads which hadn't been cut recently, I got a flat. I didn't have any equipme ... Read More »

Mavic Tempo vs Razor

Is it work an extra $80 to go from the [URL="http://www.mavic.com/en/product/footwear/mountain-bike/footwear/Razor"]Razor[/URL] to the [URL="http://www.mavic.com/en/product/footwear/mountain-bike/footwear/Tempo"]Tempo[/URL]?? Foune the Razor for $60 and Tempo for $140Read More »

Mavic Razor shoes at Nasbar. $66

Ordered these shoes today. They have a 20% off a single item which pretty much pays for tax and shipping. Performance had them on sale a few weeks ago, but I dont think they were quite this cheap. BenRead More »