Camelbak Narrowguage Water Carrier

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Camelback Narrowguage

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1999

Strengths:
I have used the Narrow Gauge in summer, winter, for water, as a mini-back pack, with in-line skates for my shoes and to store helmet and pads when I change out.
It has enought space to carry a single bladder and my 8mm camcorder (so we could shoot video of all the MTB crashes) and all the normal riding gear I carry, 2 spare tubes, tools a oversized pump, a first-aid kit, map and compass, suntan stuff, bug juice, and some snacks. And I still had some spaceleft. I love this pack.

Weaknesses:
I don't think that Camelback makes them anymore. I have not seen them in a while and they are not on the website.

Bottom Line:
For long rides were major amounts of equipment and water are required, there is no better unit then this. It is by far the most flexible and the largest.

more than 3 years

Camelback Classic

Submitted by Garner of the Hill People a cross-country rider from Branson, Missouri

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

Got this pack after a 28 mile ride in peak Missouri August heat ahnd humidity where I drained my old Camelback plus bottle twice. I was still paranoid when I got back to the shop so I bought the big dog, the Narrowguage. Needless to say I have not ran out of water yet. I got a good deal on this one and, with a new 100 oz bladder, it was the same price as a Mule. Using my old bladder plus the new one I have carried as much as 170 ozs at a time, about 70% of its capacity. Unfortunately, on shorter trips with just the 100 oz bladder, the bag begins to flop around when about half of the water is gone, because there is so much extra space left in the pack. This is annoying because all of the weight inevitably shifts to one side on the craziest death decents, affecting balance just enough to annoy and distract me. I've experimented with a cardboard insert which has helped alleviate the problem, but I'm going to find something a little better and more permanent. But, the storage space and retention system is absolutely great. Enough room for everything, suiting the worst of us packrats. I'm glad I have it for the extra capacity, ease of use, and the insurance. Great for what it is designed for; long-ass rides.

Submitted by Mike a cross-country rider from Wooster, OH

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

*****************Having problems cleaning your Camelbak?******************** First: DO NOT BUY THOSE EXPENSIVE CLEANING PRODUCTS!!!!!!! Instead of that $15 device that effectively dries out your bladder, USE A BENT HANGER!
Second:when cleaning your bladder, do not buy those expensive cleaners or even soap. The former doesn't leave a residue, but using Palmolive will leave an aftertaste of soap for about 20-30 uses. Instead, let the fungus sit in ARM'N'HAMMER baking soda for a few hours. No nasty aftertaste, and all the fungus is gone.
Source:I haven't learned these things from wasting money, I just listened to my mother who has cleaned things effiecientlt much longer than I have been alive. Try it, it works!!!

Submitted by Eric a weekend warrior from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

The Narrowgauge is probably the biggest bargain I have come across in the entire mountain biking
industry. It is capable of holding two 70oz bladders at one time, so you can plan those
death-marches knowing you've got plenty of liqui. The storage area is unbelievable, everytime I
pick it up I discover a new pocket or strap I had yet to see. You can pack away enough tools to
over-haul a Volkswagon and still have enough room for food, or whatever else you usually bring.
There are also a variety of cargo straps located in various places that allow you to carry a pump,
extra jacket, rain-gear, etc. The best part about the Narrowgauge is that you only have to buy it
once. It doesn't break, warp, crack, scratch, or dent. And with the adjustable shoulder and waist
straps, once you put it on, it doesn't move. In a sport where the more aggressive you want to be,
the more you chance equipment failure, it's nice to find a product that does it's job no matter what
you're doing. For the money, this is one of the best investments you will ever make.

Submitted by Dave Disser a weekend warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

Gave the Mule to my wife so I could have room for extra water, carry clothes
to work, etc. Great pack, but I miss the padded/insulated back on the Mule, and
the tube clip on the shoulder strap, and the key clip in the pocket. It
definitely holds loads, though. Tip: cut an old mouse pad down to size and
stick it in inside pocket, makes the pack more padded like the Mule.

Submitted by robb a weekend warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've been using the Narrow Gauge for a year or so. Great pack for long trips in the boonies but gross overkill for short rides. I like the pack 'cause it has room for all the clothes I end up shedding as the day warms up. Plenty of pockets for organization; quite comfortable, even with a heavy load but God-awful hot in the summer. Stiching has held up well despite lots of abuse (it's true, water packs are great crash protection for your back) and little cleaning or maintenance. Perfect pack if you take your kids with you on rides (Dad always ends up carrying everything).

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from Anchorage

Date Reviewed: January 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

Good unit, lots of water capacity plus room for many extras. It could
benifit from some means to keep it away from direct contact with your back
to aid breathablity.