Camelbak Hawg Hydration Pack Water Carrier

4.56/5 (66 Reviews)

Camelbak Hawg Hydration Pack

Submitted by nezined makulit a Weekend Warrior from batangas

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    it has plenty of stuff to be placed in..and the new bag allows the air flows at your back, makes it comfortable and not that hot considering you've been biking for so many hours with it sitting on your back.

Weaknesses:    its heavy but its for trail riding and epic rides so it doesn't realy matter as long as you've got the things you necessary must have during those kinda'ride.

Bottom Line:
nice hydration bag..can be used on multi day biking with stop overs of course...can carry lots of loads like a couple of shirts a raincoat, other stuffs like emergency med kit..some trail foods and bars, slippers and some tools..if your a weight winny forget about it and don't carry anything and have your stuffs be carried by a more manly bike mates of yours,ok?

Favorite Trail:   xc type off road trail

Purchased At:   bratpack

Similar Products Used:   zefal, and other smaller camelbak with 70oz reservoir

Bike Setup:   hardtail disc trailbike, just change the handlebar and flip the stem to a negative and you've got a competitive xc position although must consider my bike's weight (25 lbs)which is still heavy for xc racing.

Submitted by Swami a Cross Country Rider from Missoula, MT

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    smart design: little velcro bits to gather up loose shoulder straps, two small pockets next to hip straps for tucking them away, very good compression to suck up space, back pads actually work -- keeping the pack from soaking your back, zippered access to bladder much better than the velcro "slide it in" method, bunjee -- oh lord how i love bunjee, and it just fits nicer than any of the smaller camelbaks.

Weaknesses:    i don't like camelbak's valve system for the bladder, so i'll probably get a platypus three liter when this camelbak bladder goes bye bye.

Bottom Line:
i hesitated to buy this bag because i thought it was mondo big, esp compared to the mule. but then i tried a mule and filled it with water and realized that i could only fit the essentials. so that meant i had a bike specific bag. i don't like to buy anything that has too specific a use.

the hawg can hold a TON of stuff. it's suprising, really. just today i had all my little gizmos, pump, tubes, stocking hat, lined windshirt, midweight polypro top, pair of corduroys and boxers, socks, and 2L of water all inside the bag. on the outside i had my shoes and helmet. i was impressed. (and no, i didn't bike with all this stuff.) when i got on my bike i just had the hat and polypro top inside the bag and boy did it cinch up nice and tight. the bag can be made quite small.

while riding i didn't notice the pack at all. and coming from a camelbak classic, i sure expected to feel at least a bit more bulk. nope. the pack disappeared. i like that.

as an added bonus, i now have the perfect sized pack for snowshoing/xxskiing in the winter and hiking just about every season. a very versatile pack.

4 for value -- at $100 it is too pricey, though you get what you pay for.

5 overall -- the pack won't limit you and can serve multi-sport duty.

Purchased At:   REI on sale

Similar Products Used:   camelbak classic, more platypus bladders than i can count.

Bike Setup:   two wheels, a frame, handlebars, seat, etc....

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Jericho, New York

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Strengths:    Tons of storage, easy to use, comfortable, well designed and well made.

Weaknesses:    None identified.

Bottom Line:
This is my first hydration pack. I decided to go with a relatively large pack and I am glad I did. The three liter capacity comes in handy on a hot humid day and I believe I will be greatful for the storage as the weather turns colder as there is plenty of room for a jacket, fleece, etc.
Although the pack is big, I think most of the weight is the water. As you ride the pack gets lighter, so even when out over three hours I have not found the weight to be an issue. The design of the pack makes the removal and insertion of the water container a breeze.
Besides the fact that you can drink on the fly, another great feature about the Camelback is that the mouth piece stays clean, unlike water bottles where the mouth piece constantly gets covered with mud and dirt. Also you can put ice in the container, and the insulation in the pack keeps the water cold for hours. After just six weeks, I have to say it would be hard for me to ever go back to bottles, except for really short rides.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   Brands

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Oak Park, IL

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Holds tons of gear and plenty of water, very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    A bit too bulky for shorter rides when you only need H20.

Bottom Line:
They thought of everything when they made this Camelbak.

Over the months I've been using it, I've developed my own system for using the various compartments, which allow for a great amount of gear -- multitool, tubes, chow, extra clothes, cellphone, etc. The straps are great -- very comfortable; I can wear this thing for hours, on and off the bike.

At first I was wishing that the waist strap had some kind of compartment on it for keys and such, but I just attached a key ring thingy to one of the shoulder straps and now I hook my key on there, when I need one at the ready.

The only real downside for this pack is that when I'm out for a couple hours of pure biking -- not going somewhere with stuff like extra clothes or whatever -- it's a bit too big. For hitting the trails (ATB or road), I'm considering getting a smaller pack. Something with storage only for an energy bar and tools/tube and 70 oz. of water would be ideal.

Favorite Trail:   Palos (ATB) / Prairie Path (Road)

Similar Products Used:   2 water bottles and cages, regular backpack

Bike Setup:   ATB = GF Tassajara '98 (rigid)
Road = Custom built (Concord frame, Shimano 105 parts)

Submitted by Ryan R. a Cross Country Rider from Long Island N.Y.

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Strengths:    Plenty of storage room way better than the Mule, Tough built carrier has taken some hits and no rips, Bladder for 03 is way better than the 01 to 02 much better seal and now the cap is teathered to the bladder itself, Bladder loading is better than the Mule the zipper is much better than velcro, Air flow back actully works unlike the lame attempt in the 01 to 02 models, excellent cubic inch volume not too small but not to big PERFECT!

Weaknesses:    Unable to remove lumbar strap unless you cut it off yes there is pockets for them but I would much better like to just remove it. could use a better internal organizer Thats it!

Bottom Line:
This is the greatest hydration pack ever! The volume for storage is great. The mule always came up short and you always had to leave something behind. Not with the Hawg I now have removed the seatpack from my bike to lighten it up I can fit everything I need in this pack! The bladder construction and tase is much better in the 03 models than previous models. The seal is much better and doesn't leak and the bladder doesn't tase nasty like the other ones did. The dual bladder idea is great but I don't think I will ever use it. It could use a better internal organizer now that you can haul more stuff but that's petty and will probably be fixed in next years model. My only grip is that the lumbar strap can't be removed it can be stored in the pocets in the back straps but I would just like to remove it instead. The air panel really works and helps to keep you cool when it's really hot. The pack realy deos a good job at keeping the load stable I have yet to have it move around on me. This pack is simply the best on the market for hauling allot of gear ond water hence forth the name. If your looking for a pack that can fit it all and 100 oz of water too this is it. If you only haul a little get a mule but for a truly epic ride GET A HAWG! You won't be sorry PEACE!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt ones with trees and some rocks

Purchased At:   Bike Planet

Similar Products Used:   Camelback Blowfish, Camelback Mule and the old bottle and cage

Bike Setup:   Specilized Stumpjumper FSR XC

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia PA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Size, strength, stability, ruggedness

Weaknesses:    um, what weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
Sweet pack, holds everything, loses nothing. It's light, spacious, and stable on your back. Get this pack if nothing else.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon Valley

Purchased At:   Bike Line

Similar Products Used:   CamelBack Classic, water bottles

Bike Setup:   Stock 2003 Rainier

Submitted by Michael from PA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
Use: Everything from all day XC and road epics, aggressive XC, commuting to work, day hikes, XC skiing.

This is an older model, about 2 to 3 years old.

Great pack. If I lost it I'd get another in a second. Holds a fair amount of gear. Can strap plenty of gear to the outside. I keep my biking tools, patch kits, lighter, and compass in the side pockets, keys and wallet go in the small front pocket and the large main compartment is for extra clothes, food, and tubes.

I've considered getting a Transalp for commuting and for for overnighters.

Compared to the Mule (another nice pack) it lacks the many small pockets for organization but I've not found this to cause any real problem, just a slight inconvenience. This pack can hold much more than the Mule but my model weighs only a bit more. Unless having the extra capacity makes the pack unstable or too heavy, which is not the case with the HAWG, it's "better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

Quality: Zero complaints and this pack has been used hard. Great construction. This pack is pricey but since it has never failed me I feel the the price is waranted. You get what you pay for.

Bottom line: If you get only one pack, the HAWG is the pack.

Favorite Trail:   Near Blackwell, PA

Bike Setup:   This section should be labeled "Use:", as in "I use this product for..."

Submitted by Nathan Campbell a Weekend Warrior from Toowoomba, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    -Got it for a bargain price of $199 Aussie Dollars
-Tons of room for anything you need
-3Litre water capacity
-Waist and sernum straps for excelent stability
-Love the bite valve on the bladder, has never leaked for me.

Weaknesses:    - Sweaty (this pack gives you a really sweaty back) they should try the mesh systems of some other Brand packs on the HAWG
-A few little zipper conpartments inside the pack would be good to hold small things. (Money etc)

Bottom Line:
I have the HAWG 2002 model pack. Its my first pack and i love it. I do 3-4 hour rides and the weekend and like to have a few spare tubes, tools, food, water, phone, spare clothes (in winter) and this pack allows me to do that.

If you love your trail riding and like to have some gear with you than this is the pack for you.

5 chilis for pack take one for sweaty probs

Favorite Trail:   Suspension Bridge

Purchased At:   Freedom Machine (Internet)

Similar Products Used:   None, Its my first

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainier 2002(stock) except, Mavic F519 Rims,
Shimano PD-M424 pedals

Submitted by RT a Cross Country Rider from Woodinville, Wa

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2002

Strengths:    Holds everything I need (and then some). Great fit & good airflow to the back.

Weaknesses:    Expensive.

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfortable pack (hydration or otherwise, that I've ever owned. The fit is fantastic (for me, at least). I use this for riding, day hiking, in-line skating, etc. If you can afford it, buy one!

Purchased At:   Gregg's Greenlake

Similar Products Used:   Camelback Iceback, Rouge, and many, many water bottles.

Submitted by Chris Brodie a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    -Plenty of Space
-Excellent Weight distribution on your back
-Good tube routing
-Solid construction

Weaknesses:    -None found yet

Bottom Line:
The old Hydrapak was designed to carry 70oz however try also carrying your wallet and a mobile in there as well...I busted the zipper trying to get everything in.

No so the HAWG, I now have space for food! YAY! I also carry a Marmot Precip rain shell, a decent sized first aid kit, pump and Alien Tool at all times with plenty of space for a full bladder and food.

Surprisingly this doesn't give me the back pain the old pack did, the weight, though now double what I used to carry is pain free for hours(tested it on a 6 hour ride yesterday) where the Hydrapak was giving me hell after about 45mins.. This was the main reason for looking for a new pack.

The BigBite valve is a great idea, no mechanical moving parts, the Hydrapak valve occasionally gets grit in it that jams it open requiring a good wack to clear. The Hydrapak also leaked a little from the valve which was just a little annoying on a long hill climb. Over shoulder is a good idea, the Hydrapak tube was always getting caught up when putting it on, in addition it makes refilling easier as the values doesn't need to be threaded through a little hole.

External cable straps allow for some cold weather gear to be attached if needed, the external mesh pocket reachable with a little effort.

Litle more expensive than what I would have liked but it feels like a quality product.

Favorite Trail:   Old Northern Road(Convict Trail)

Purchased At:   Panther Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Blackman Hydrapak (70oz)

Submitted by Richard Utting a Downhiller from Windermere, UK

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Strengths:    Loads of room but collapses down well. Stays where you put it on your back. Hydration system pretty much flawless. Really fairly waterproof, too

Weaknesses:    it beats me how they keep improving them every year

Bottom Line:
Absolutely diamond. I don't ride without it. I've battered it rithlessly and it just keeps on ruling

Similar Products Used:   Other CamelBaks and a few of the imitations

Bike Setup:   Big DH stuff

Submitted by Flyer a Cross Country Rider from Chicago IL

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Strengths:    Well constructed. Nice design. Easy to put all my stuff into and easy water access and filling.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
I have a camelbak mule, but was finding that while it held everything I needed, there wasn't really enough room left over to stuff a jacket or other things in during the winter months and still fill the bladder completely full. I bought a HAWG because it holds my stuff, and I have room for snacks, a jacket or rain jacket during all day rides. This definately fills the bill!

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Mule

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant xtc se2 with lots of changes

Submitted by JB a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles,Ca

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Strengths:    Lives up to its name: Holds Alot of Water and Gear!!!
Omega Res. is easy to clean, and easy to put ice in. Suspension straps keep the pack firmly on the back.
Much better than the water bottle!!!Probably the best invention in cycling history!!!
Water-Resistant to a certain degree, good places to hold pump, tools, shoes, map, and keys.
Great Hydrolock system!!!Great Padding!!!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
The HAWG has been tested in the field and has classic technology by the makers of CamelBak. This hydration pack stands up to all who try to live up to it's name --"down blackburn, hydrapack, scwhinn, etc." Go Camelbak

Favorite Trail:   Brianhead Singletrack, Utah