Camelbak Grandido Water Carrier

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Camelbak Grandido

Submitted by Gene a Cross Country Rider from Syracuse, NY

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Strengths:    Decent water storage, keeps tools handy, plenty of room to carry a pump, tube, spare tire, tools, maps...

Weaknesses:    The silly bandoleer thingy

Bottom Line:
I tried the backpack type water carrier before, but was really annoyed by it's flopping around, and getting stagged on low trees, and having to take it off if you need a tool, etc, so I gave the Grandido a try. After a couple modifications, I've been completely happy with it. I found that the bandoleer (which routes the water tube over your shoulder) would constantly fall off my shoulder, or if I had it tight enough not to fall off, it was beginning to rip out at the point where it was sewed to the carrier. Solution: Cut off the bandoleer, and buy a Camel clip (little plastic thing with a clip and snap) and clip the water hose to your jersey (under your arm). This works the nuts. I'm not seeing this pack for sale anymore, and I think it's due to this problem, but if Camelback ditched the bandoleer and included a camel clip (and a tube director like my riding buddy is using with his Bandido), this pack would sell like hotcakes. I love the fact that I don't need to take the back off to get to my tools, check the map, etc. I've even gotten good at getting and replacing the pump from the velcro holder without taking the pack off. As far as water storage, so far I haven't had a problem with it's 64oz size, although I haven't done any extremely hot, long rides that didn't have a water supply along the way.

Bottom line, if you don't like the back pack type water carriers, try to find one of these. I love mine.

Favorite Trail:   Gore Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Hyrdopack

Bike Setup:   '01 Truth, z1 x-fly, hayes, xt/xtr mix

Submitted by Eric a cross-country rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

Just received one of these as a gift and have only used it twice, but it is much better than a backpack style hydration pack (I formerly used a Cannondale hydration pack). Putting the weight lower is a big plus, especially descending steep downhills or drop-offs. Call me crazy, but I dislike getting hit in the back of the head by a waterpack when going down a ledge. The only downside is that the bladder holds only 64 ounces, which could be a problem while riding in the Southwest (Moab, Las Vegas, etc.). Workmanship is outstanding and I've recently seen these on sale at EMS for $79.99 with the bladder - a very good deal since the list is about $129.99.