Camelbak FlashFlo LR Water Carrier

3.13/5 (8 Reviews)

Grab the Camelbak Flash Flo Lumbar Pack and your media player, and walk or run your worries away after work.

Submitted by Michelle T a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2008

Strengths:    For someone who gets back pain from the weight a regular Camelbak pack while riding, this is the perfect product! I've used this on road and mountain bike rides and it's worked perfectly for both. I wear the waist pack snug over my hips (not at my waist) and do not have any problem with it moving around or restricting me at all. It also has enough room to hold my keys, cellphone, ID/money, a small bottle of sunscreen with room to spare. I also notice that I don't get as overheated and sweaty as when I'm wearing the backpack version as the waistpack allow more cooling of my body. I can't say enough about this product!!! Again, it is a fantastic product for those who get back pain from wearing a backpack while riding!

Weaknesses:    The version I purchased (an older one) didn't have a clip on the tube to attach to my shirt. I've fashioned a neck holder (I used an neck ID holder and made a slip knot around the end to loop around the mouthpiece of the tubing) and that keeps it in an easy to reach position for me.
It would be nice if it held more water but the trade off would be a HUGE pack and probably not as comfortable. I also just ride with an extra water bottle on my bike and refill as needed.

Bottom Line:
LOVE IT!!! Recommend it to anyone who's back aches while riding from the weight of a regular backpack!

Favorite Trail:   El Moro Canyon

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak backpack hydration system.

Bike Setup:   Old, beat up, but well loved mountain bike.

Submitted by X-Man Quiroz a Cross Country Rider from HERMOSILLO, SONORA, MEXICO.

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Strengths:    NICE LOOKIN FUNNY PACK STYLE, GOOD QUALITY, STYLISH, COMPACT, VARIOUS ADJUSTMENT STRAPS.

Weaknesses:    LITTLE BIT AWKWARD FEEL WHEN IT'S FULL AND YOU PUT A BUNCH OF STUFF IN IT, FEELS GOOD WHEN YOU JUST PUT THE NECESARY STUFF (HOME KEYS, MOVIL, SMALL PUMP).

Bottom Line:
IT´S NOT AS GOOD FOR MOUNTAIN BIKING AS FOR HIKING OR RUNNING, IT GETS SOME TIME TO GET ACOSTUMED TO THE PRESSURE IN THE WAIST, HOSE IS NOT AT REACH TO DRINK AND RIDE. FORTUNATELY I DO SOME HIKING TOO.

NOT BAD FOR THE SHORT RIDES, IF YOU PUT ABOUT 1/4 GALLON IN IT IT FEELS GREAT ON YOUR WAIST (IT´S WHAT I DO FOR THE 1 OR 1:30 HOUR WEEKDAY RIDES).

Favorite Trail:   TREMO´S TRACK

Purchased At:   SUPERGO

Similar Products Used:   100 OZ CAMELBACK

Bike Setup:   GARY FISHER CAKE 1 FULL XT

Submitted by Paul a Racer from Burnsville

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Strengths:    Very nice fit, barely notice it's there, decent capacity, decent storage

Weaknesses:    Not a good product for bikers; much better for running or hiking.

Bottom Line:
This is a superb pack for runners and hikers. I didn't like it for biking. I forget it's there when I'm running but it bugs me like crazy when I'm biking. So the score will be lower since this is a biking review site. Get a backpack for your mtn biking and this pack for your running.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   Penn Cycle

Similar Products Used:   no other waistpacks

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula, Shimano XT components, Mavic rims, Rock Shox SID

Submitted by James Hawkins a Weekend Warrior from Cheltenham

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Strengths:    Usual Camelback Quality

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable and awkward

Bottom Line:
I bought this for use on my road bike as I was missing the ease of use of my Blowfish (5 Chilli product) and thought that this would be an ideal solution - particularly as I wanted something to hold my personal CD player

However, I soon found that the weight does not sit easily - far more noticable than a backpack and drinking is less intuitive - you have to physically grab the hose from the belt clip which ruins your racing action. In fact it is far more awkward than grabbing a bottle from a cage!

The pack does hold the CD player ok but does not have much room for anything else - can just about get a tube, multitool and phone in there but thats the lot.

I am constantly aware that I am wearing the product and find that it restricts air circulation and thus compromises comfort as the belt has to be fastened tight to stop the bladder flopping about.

I love Camelback products but do not feel that the FlashFlo is a good product for cycling - wish I'd bought a Rogue instead.

Favorite Trail:   Cwm Carn

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Bottles, Blowfish

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro (MTB), Klein Q-Carbon (Road)

Submitted by D Man a Racer from Lake Zurich

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    Small compact light weight

Weaknesses:    Wish it held more water

Bottom Line:
I have been waiting to find a product like this for a long time! I have ridden with a camelback for over 8 years now and for the last few have had back problems. For me this product fits snug aroud my waist and keeps the water off of my back. I did a 45 mile mountain bike ride and for the first time in years I had no back pain! I do wish it held more water but what I do is fill it up and put a water bottle in my cage. It's the equivlent of 3 water bottles. I have had no problem reaching for the hose to get a drink. It's not as easy as my mule but you get use to it. If you suffer from back pain then this is the product for you. If not then you are blessed and keep riding with 70-100oz of water on your back.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine

Purchased At:   backyard bikes

Similar Products Used:   Original camelback and the MUEL

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher sugar with full xtr and Chris King

Submitted by Marc from Hagen/Germany

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2002

Strengths:    - enough place to store a small handy-tool and an energy-bar
- not so heavy with the 1.4 l bladder, but still enough capacity for a 2-hour ride
- no back-pack that hits you in your neck on steep downhills

Weaknesses:    - the hose must be stored on the pack´s belt or somwhere else

Bottom Line:
As every camelback, the flashflo comes in a very good quality with attention to the detail. In my opinion, the product should be used by riders who are in search for a smaller-sized water pack for rides up to 2 hours. 1.4 litres of water are far less for epic rides. So, the flashflo should be an additional part of one´s equipment. In the summer, you have no pack on yor back - so you will not sweat in this area - a further advantage of the design. At the beginning you have to think about a good place to store the hose, but with a bit experience, it should be no problem..... :-)

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, Dual Slalom/Biker Cross inspired

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    I like Camelbak products, just not this one.

Weaknesses:    Mouthpiece dangles and can get caught in spokes if not put back into the seatpack after each sip; without the shoulder straps, it tends to creep down over your butt unless you since it VERY tight; the bladder is basically square, and when full of water, is not well balanced.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!! I like my traditional Camelbak Classic, and purchased the Flashflo because I thought it would be appropriate for shorter rides where less water is necessary. I was wrong! The concept of water in a fannypak is a good one, but is awful in execution. First, the weight of the water forces the pack down your butt unless you really tighten the strap. Second, without shoulder straps, there is no place for the mouthpiece to rest between sips; I spent most of my ride pushing the tube in and out of the pack which is distracting and annoying. Third, since there are no shoulder straps, you really notice the weight of the water in one spot: your lower back. If you need a smaller pack that hold less water, look elsewhere!

Purchased At:   Dick's