Camelbak Classic Water Carrier

4.36/5 (25 Reviews)

Camelbak Classic 70oz Hydrapack is the original Hydrapak. Often imitated, never quite as good, the Classic is the perfect minimalist design for the trimmed down hammerhead that hates the bottle.

Submitted by Corporal Punishment a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, fits well, simple

Weaknesses:    No storage

Bottom Line:
Works great for what it is. Don't expect to put much in that little pocket. Best to clean: put a drop of dish soap and a little bleach. Shake and rinse several times. Then baking soda and a little vinegar to get rid of the bleach. Rinse a couple more times. No need to dry - just fill it with clean water and call it a day. Don't spend money on camelbak's cleaning solution when 10 cents worth of bleach, soap, baking soda and vinegar can do the trick in the same amount of time.

Someone complained that the tube was too long - you can either cut it or just push the slack back into the bag.

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Bike Setup:   XC/HT

Submitted by MartyB a Downhiller from Lawrenceville, New Jersey

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Strengths:    Appears to be a potentially ideal accessory for use described below.

Weaknesses:    That's what I'm interested in.

Bottom Line:
Lots of reviewers have commented about the Camelbak Classic for cyling, but I'm considering it for hydration during winter downshill SKIING. At high altitude in the Rockies, hydration is critical, but it's a pain to hassle with going inside every few runs just to get grab a drink of water. With its low profile and 70 oz. capacity, the Classic seems like it might be ideal for this purpose. The limited space for carrying odds and ends, about which many have written, isn't an issue in this case, since ski jackets typically have plenty of pockets and skiers don't often carry repair tools on the slopes. I've "prerated" the Classic with 5 Chillis, optomistically hoping that it will be a perfect solution for winter sports, but I'd be very interested in learning what others who own the Classic might have to say about the product in that applications. Thanks in advance.

Purchased At:   N/A

Submitted by snafu5962 a Cross Country Rider from York, Pa

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    all of the quality you would expect from Camelbak, accessories available, light weight

Weaknesses:    little storage area, no MP3 player pocket...what do you expect for $40 though?

Bottom Line:
Its a great pack if you are a beginner or short distance rider. It only provides 2 hours of hydration.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge

Purchased At:   dick's

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak M.U.L.E.

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Santo

Submitted by nuck_chorris a Weekend Warrior from spring tx, usa

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    carries alot of water for me, pretty comfortable,nice bite valve.

Weaknesses:    not enough room for tools, got the wrong color(only color jenson had)red.

Bottom Line:
it has enough room for my necessitates,like my inhaler and cellphone.ill probably get a bigger one and use that one for shorter rides. alot of people want it from me so i guess its got the cool factor.

Favorite Trail:   george mitchell nature preserve

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   water bottle cage?

Bike Setup:   customized trek 850, you know , azonic pedals,velo seat ,eagle claw brakes,forte versa trac tires,tektro brakes, doltek cranks , surly single speed parts, ratio of 36-16,ruffian odi grips,

Submitted by chelboed a Cross Country Rider from Kansas

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    Bite valve works very well. Bite valve lock is useful when you have the pack sitting on the ground for some reason...water won't come out. Huge bladder mouth makes it easy to clean.

Weaknesses:    Not enough storage for what I want. If you go to the Camelbak website and search for a pack based on your cargo/fluid needs though...then you should find one to fit. I can't give this pack a negative review for lack of storage because one should know what they need prior to picking a pack.

Bottom Line:
I got this as a gift from my wife and has served me well for 2 years. I carry an Ultraflate CO2 inflator with an extra CO2, patches, and either a Specialized EMT Comp or Park IB2 multi-tool.

There is not enough room for a spare tube, but I've been stuffing one inside next to the bladder. Has worked fine with no issues. I have a spare pouch for my cell phone and pager when I'm on-call.

Bottom line is that this is a good pack for someone who doesn't need to carry much. I'm switching to the Dakine Session so I can carry my tool, tire levers, tube, cell, pager when I'm on call, and a bit of food for longer rides.

By the way...who the crap carries "wipes" in their pack??? That's the goofiest thing ever!! You're mountain biking people...you're supposed to get dirty. Take a shower when you're done riding, Mary!!

Submitted by Casey Holbrook a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    Lots of water=more refreshment.
Won't bounce off your bike like a watter bottle.

Weaknesses:    Not too much storage

Bottom Line:
If you are using waterbottles, buy this. If you want to carry a multi tool, cell phone, AND a banana or something, you may want something a little bigger.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   Earth Traverse Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Water bottles

Submitted by Casey Holbrook a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2005

Strengths:    Way better than water bottles

Weaknesses:    Too little storage for what I would like to bring

Bottom Line:
If you don't want to drop over $50, buy one today.
If you want to carry a phone, repeair kit, banana, and map, get a Mule.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Submitted by Slips The pedals a Cross Country Rider from Bonney Lake Wa. USA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2005

Strengths:    This pack to me is designed to go on short rides. That is why I got it to do my 1 hour and a bit more rides. For this it is great. It fits fine even without a waist belt. Didn't feel anything out of sorts while riding. I always ride with a pack and have been for the last 4 yrs.

Weaknesses:    Due to the cargo room I was hard pressed to fit what I like to take on any ride short or long on the trails. I like to carry a chain tool, mini-pump, spare tube, tire levers, multi-tool, small cell phone(has to be small in size to work here)and wipes. I couldn't fit the pump or tube in it. If I nixed the phone I could put the tube in it. I had to put my seat bag back on to get the spare tube on board and use a frame clamp for the pump. Its all work'n. I could just take a patch kit too instead of a spare tube.

Bottom Line:
I like the Classic and will continue to use it for the short rides. Water capacity in more than ample for shorter rides..easily covering my hour trail blasts. I would take it for a 2 hr ride as well. How hot the weather is will make a difference on how long the water lasts too. I use my Epic(100 ounce bladder) for everything else. By the way I put a camelbak bladder in the Epic cause I like their bladders best. Anyways I did have to take into account the storage room for me cause I like to have certain things with me all of which I have used, except the phone, one time or another. For the short rides I usually don't pack any eats but I could fit a bar in there or a small bag of raisins which works great for me. I give it a 5 for what it is designed for. If you need more cargo space Camelbak has other models that will suit any riders needs. The Mule is excellent choice as an all arounder.

Favorite Trail:   I just love trail!

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Mule and Ultimate Epic...my fav for longer and even any ride cause of how it sits on the back. A big pack that doesn't feel big at all until you take it off and have one of your friends feel how heavy it really is. Great pack lots of storeage.

Bike Setup:   2xc HT's and a dually that is a gnarly(Strong...I weigh 210) trail bike.

Submitted by Austin a Weekend Warrior from West Hartford CT, USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, 70 oz capacity, has pocket and bungee straps.Very inexspensive for a quality product.

Weaknesses:    Pocket is a bit small, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Gets the job done without all the gimics and gadgets of a $70+ hydration pack.

Favorite Trail:   all reservoirs

Purchased At:   The Sports Authority

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar with discs, and icon pedals

Submitted by TOm H a Cross Country Rider from Andover, MA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    It dosnt weigh that much i barely notice it on my back. WOrks great. The bungy on the back comes in handy. Its pritty cheap.

Weaknesses:    THe pocket is kind of small, you Cant hold alot in it.

Bottom Line:
THis camel back works great. I dont carry that much so the starage is not a problem. If you need to carry more then essentials they dont buy this. But if you need a hydration system with low starage then buy this.

Purchased At:   Galyons

Bike Setup:   Giant warp ds2

Submitted by Romalis Ozuna a Cross Country Rider from omaha,nebr, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light and compact.
An absolute must for anyone heading out for over an hour.
I use this every where, from fishing to riding to walking the dogs.
Cant even tell your wearing it in the saddle.
The small pocket holds minimal gear but I can still fit a co2 inflater, a spare tube and a power bar.
I have used the bungee cord for a small towel in the heat and it holds it very secure.

Weaknesses:    The small pocket...but you know that ahead of time. If ya need something bigger upgrade to a different model

Bottom Line:
This pack does everything it is designed for and is irreplacable along on many activities other than cycling.
Wouldn't trade mine for the world (except maybe a larger one)....lol
Best Wishes

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycles / Omaha, Nebr

Bike Setup:   Specialized S works M4......XTR everything, Geax Arrojo's,

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Glendale

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    -Keeps water cool
-light weight
-durable
-great size for 2-3 hour rides

Weaknesses:    -None

Bottom Line:
This camelback is great. When I go riding i usually ride around 15+ miles in the mountains. This thing is jus the right size for me. 100 oz muel would be too much. I dont need something with lots of storage so this is great. It holds my cell and some tools. If you ride between 2-3 hours and need a good hydration system, this is the one baby. I give it 5 chilis on value because i got it on sale :). And 5 chilis for overall because its just great.

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Submitted by Ken from Plymouth, MN

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    Secure 5-point Bungee Cinch System. Great size for 2 hrs riding. Price

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
If going to bike around 2-3 hours this bak is great!!!!

Purchased At:   Galyans

Bike Setup:   2002 Stumpjumper FSR Disc, 2004 Stumpjumper Disc Comp

Submitted by MIked6 from Athens, GA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great camelbak. It is perfect for trail riding, as it very light weight. The only flaw is lack of storage space but you get what you pay for. For the money, it is a great hydration pack.

Purchased At:   Gaylan's

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    Good quality product. Good construction! Keeps water clean and easily assesible. The 90 degree bite valve works good. It has a pocket to hold stuff.

Bottom Line:
The product is perfect for what it is made for. Its made to carrier 70 ounces of water and ESSENTIALS because the zipper pocket is small. You know that when you buy it so if you want more space get the LOBO or bigger. I can fit my cell, keys, and a power bar it the pocket or a sandwich, and 2 power bars. I can't complain about the small pocket because I knew it was small when I bought it. Make sure to suck all the air out of the water sack and it will give you more space in the pocket. I think it works great for what I need. I give mine 5 chilis for value becuase I got a good deal on mine when I bought my bike.