Camelbak Chaos Water Carrier

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 6.15 lbs MSRP : $80.00

Camelbak Chaos 2009: Camelbak's clean, low-profile Chaos Hydration Pack gives you plenty of room for a shell, energy bars and two liters worth of liquid refreshment without cluttering up the load on your back.

Submitted by Johnny RC a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2013

Strengths:    Simple, roomy, well laid out, TOUGH material, which is great because I'm hard on my geear. Straps to tie down just about anything externally.

Weaknesses:    Heavier material makes it a little heavier, but worth it in my mind for the durability. Some newer packs have better ventilation, but my pack is 3 years old, and is great.

Bottom Line:
I have used this pack (coyote brown, tactical coolness) for 3 years now, and love it. It's perfect for rides of 2 hours +/- a bit. I carry a spare tube, pump, multi-tool, tire levers, 1st aid kit, and Blackburn 2 stage pump ALWAYS. In addition I still have room to carry a pack rain jacket, and some food when ride will be a little longer. Even a camera if I want. The small pocket has great organization for keys, tools, etc. The main compartment is big and open, so kinda stuff everything in, but just put some thought into the packing, and you're fine. there are some excessive straps on it, but I zip-tied them rolled up, and hasn't been an issue. I have never used them, maybe it's time to just cut them off. Otherwise, like I said, it can be a little warm compared to some new packs, but I have 3 years of HARD use out of this pack, and it is still going strong. For the $100 I spent back then, I think I've gotten my moneys worth. I switched to an updated reservoir, put a better valve, and valve cover on it to keep dirt to a minimum. A+ is in my book. I have only run out of water ONCE with this, but I wasn't expecting to ride 25 miles that day, and didn't expect it to be that hot, so not the packs fault. have several camelbak packs, this one gets used the most, the MULE gets used for all day epics. But this pack I use for my every day rides, shuttles, and Downhill.

Favorite Trail:   Silver Run

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Sierra Trading Post

Similar Products Used:   Mule, Lobo, Hawg

Bike Setup:   Titus El Guapo

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Simple, material, zipper quality, one-handed bite valve, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Over-abundant straps

Bottom Line:
I can already tell right away this pack is gonna last awhile. The material and zippers is made of high quality as is your typical Camelbak bladder. The shoulder straps are comfortable as is the air-flow system padded to your back. The compartments are very straight-forward and ergonomic. I just wish there was a specific place or strap to stow a hand pump. With a tough construction material it makes for heavier weight but I can live with it. This is the perfect pack since it is low profile and does not stick out so far! I would not race with it but definitely have it with me on epics or training rides. Darn good pack for the money!

Submitted by orekizler a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2011

Strengths:    Perfect size that doesn't screw up your balance. Durable material and padded construction.

Weaknesses:    Straight valve. The reservoir is only accessible from the back of the bag so it has to come off your back during refill.

Bottom Line:
It s very good size for short rides. Enough to take essentials It has a decent size (70 oz) reservoir. You can put a bottle on the bike if you need extra.
Unlike the new camelback valves, It comes with the old style straight valves. And it really doesn't fit well in a full-face helmet. But you can always purchase the 90 degree valve from Camelback.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Submitted by Mick Oz a Cross Country Rider from Perth, WA / Brisvegas QLD Australia

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Super strong, insulated bladder carrier, zips are extremely high quality and strong, extra straps and buckles come in handy. Minimalist 2x compartments (+ insulated bladder compartment) but that is all you need. Nice stiched skull motif.

Weaknesses:    HD fabric and zips tradeoff in mass. Probably not for weight weenies.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely trashed and abused for years. Thrown about, muddied, in wet, crashed in and just used all the time. My favorite pack. Comfortable and cool. Enough space for everything you need. Zips have never failed. Very high quality overall. Highly recommended. Go the brown one, dont see any stains that way.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dually and Avanti SS 29er

Submitted by neongreen a Weekend Warrior from PROVO UT

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    Love this pack. Very durable material, great construction. It is large enough to hold all my tools, some energy bars and anything else I might need, but not so big that I would hesitate taking it anywhere.

It is soft and padded so it doubles as a spine protector :)

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
Buy it! Okay, maybe not if you are a weight weenie xc rider, but for anyone who is not racing or anal about a few grams, this is and incredible pack.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   cheapo hydration pack

Submitted by Bigtime a Weekend Warrior from Oceanside, CA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2009

Strengths:    Heavy duty contruction and material, comfy straps, easy to fill, channels allow airflow to my back.

Weaknesses:    Could use just a bit more compact storage*, wish it came with the 90 degree valve.

Bottom Line:
I like this Camelbak. It holds the tubes, pump, tools, bars, extra clothing layer & gloves, phone/camera/Spot devices I want to haul, and my truck keys. *I wish it had another compartment about the size of the outside pocket so I could use one for my tools and one for my stuff I don't want dirty (like trail snacks and keys). I looked at the Mayhem since it has a bit more storage, but its also got a bigger main body due to the 100 ounce bladder. The padded pocket at the top is a nice feature, as is the water resistant zipper it has. Camelbak makes good stuff and their bladders are tough. I've landed on this one with all my girth and it didn't rupture. The filler opening is big and it makes it easy to stuff with ice cubes then top off with water.

Purchased At:   Bike Bling

Similar Products Used:   FST, Camelbak Blowfish

Bike Setup:   Vintage GT LST Team

Submitted by Jon a Downhiller from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2008

Strengths:    First off, I have to explain how durable this pack is. The material feels far stonger than that of any other Camelbak I've ever tested (except for other members of the Outlaw Series). The zippers are oversized for durability as well. Camelbak rates this pack for freeride/downhill use, and not without good reason.

Weaknesses:    For its size, a little on the heavy side. However, if it were lighter it'd be weaker. Also, it isn't a very large pack. This is good too, because it never gets in the way.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a durable, low-profile Camelbak and don-t need a whole lot of space, this is definitely the right choice.

Similar Products Used:   Other members of the Outlaw series (Havoc and Mayhem).

Submitted by matt a Downhiller from agoura hills

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2008

Strengths:    doesnt throw you of ballance, ton of water storage, ton of storage for jacket, video cammera, tube, pump, and snacks. Its light

Weaknesses:    the waist strap doesnt fit me with a 28 in waist

Bottom Line:
a great pack recomend it to anyone xc dh and freeriders will love this pack

Favorite Trail:   shotgun(mammothdh)

Similar Products Used:   camelback classic

Bike Setup:   Haro x7, Db response sport

Submitted by Aaron Hill a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    Light and small but still big enough to hold everything. Chest and waist straps are a plus for stability out of the saddle. Straps on the outside are good for hanging stuff.

Bottom Line:
This is a perfect hydration pack for anyone who like to do long rides or short rides. Carrys all your tubes, pump, tools, snacks, and just about anything you need for the day.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Some target POS

Bike Setup:   custom raliegh xt 3500

Submitted by Mikey a Downhiller from MT

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    Nice and compact. Lots of straps to attach armor/helmet. Not too big, not too small.

Weaknesses:    Waist strap is kinda small.

Bottom Line:
This is a great pack even for XC riding. Holds enough water, and all the stuff you need on a ride. Been very happy with is. The pockets are nice cause they keep your tools seperate from the stuff you want to keep clean.

Favorite Trail:   Bracket Creek