Camelbak Camelback Water Carrier

3.79/5 (87 Reviews)

Camelback Hydration System

Submitted by radu adri a Cross Country Rider from brasov

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2006

Strengths:    1,5 liters

Weaknesses:    small pocket, ugly colors, useless

Bottom Line:
fancy stuff that only a few recers (for competition) can use with success

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   a bottle

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by Man The Change a Weekend Warrior from SA, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
Well, I don't know - I'm doing some research today on this because I've gotten sick the past two times I've used my bladder.

I've never used anything but filtered water in it and only have used it maybe 15-20 times. I do not have a sensitive stomach.

I used to work for an outdoor supply company and they reccomended using denture cleaners to clean out the bladder. I used those last night before refilling and flushed that sucker 5 times.

Yet here I am this morning, sick again. This sucks. The bladder shows no physical signs of bacteria or mold. I don't know that the hell is going on.

Purchased At:   Whole Earth Provision

Submitted by SJ a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Strengths:    -I can cycle for MUCH longer than before
-Easy to use
-Durable
-Pretty comfortable--after a while the only clue that it's still there is the sound of sloshing water

Weaknesses:    -A pain in the ass to refill
-No screw-on cap(the press-on cap is a leak waiting to happen)
-Affects your balance on jumps(I did a 3-foot 50-deg. ramp wearing the thing,and the weight swung around hard on my back.Scary!)
-Wouldn't hurt to have more capacity

Bottom Line:
It's great for trailriding,lets you ride harder and longer without fear of dehydrating.I wonder why I put up with the stupid botttles for so long.

It's not perfect,though.See the weaknesses column.

I still highly reccomend this or any Camelbak to any serious trailrider,especially those who like to ride for more than an hour.

Purchased At:   A yard sale,of all places

Similar Products Used:   My first Camelbak

Bike Setup:   Yes

Submitted by matt dieken a Weekend Warrior from tucson az

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1999

Strengths:
it holds water well and the insulation is great too great actually i can't put too much ice in becuase then i'll run out of water before i run out of ice. it hasn't leaked yet and the valve puts out a ton of water it's good stuff

Weaknesses:
needs to hold more water and the tube is too long

Bottom Line:
it's a good pack for the price but if you are gonna get one and you have a few extra bucks then i sugest that you get a mule or a hawg.

1 Year

water bottles

trek 7000

Submitted by N.Rocca a racer from Chile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Is really gooooooooooooooooooooooood. And its beautifull for all riders who want the best.Thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
And is vey cheaper, more than i want, is a best sale. High precision cold forged alluminum.

KOOL STOP pads.

Tektro's easy installation / adjustment   design.

Internationally race proven.

Dual-tensioned linear springs.

Wide splay angle for quick tyre removal.

Unique splay limitation safety feature, in  case of  cable breakage.

No, that isn't all the features!
We haven't even told you yet :-
You only need 2 tools (2mm and 5mm Allen wrench) to install or adjust or do anything to this brake.
We've incorporated stainless steel hardware to avoid rust.
That you can put many of your old favorite canti pads on the 820's.
That these brakes don't act like an alarm clock on the trail. We didn't put a rattling parallel pushing mechanism on them.
That there isn't a $him kit available for these brakes, cos our 820's don't need one.
So that's still not enough features?
Well try this one
Available in two colors

GRAY
         or
SATIN SILVER

Submitted by Ian a cross-country rider from NH, USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

they leak all over the place from the bite valves, usaully onto your legs or chain ring. they need to get replaced every 10-15 rides it seems. relatively tough, survived 25-30mph endo w/ double summersault without damage. it could use more comfortable straps. The cap could also take a lesson from platapus, screw top, not pop top.

Submitted by RMC a cross-country rider from CT

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

Glad the competition has picked up the slack. Over the last 4 years of my wife and myself using camelbacks for biking, skiing, hiking, etc, I have lost count on how many replacement bladders and nipples I have bought. The caps leak, the nipples leak or fall off (until now with the new model which leaks) and the bladders spring leaks with impact - which is understandable. Just finally broke down to order a blackburn with its screw-on cap (novel idea!) and gulp valve.

Submitted by Roderick Allen a weekend warrior from Louisville KY

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

July24 1998
I have used my cambalbak for four years and love it. As a matter of fact I
hate to ride with out it.But I also have to replace the bladder every year
because the seams always develope a leak.I would like to know is the a common
problem with the camalbak or am I just unlucky.

Submitted by monkeyboy a cross-country rider from Redfiel, SD

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Ok, I have had a camelback hydroback(the small version of the classic)and I have loved it!! It has been used so much and wrecked on so much and it is still holding together great!! I have had only a few problems with it. The first one was the when I got it, the slit in the mouth peice was not completely cut all the way through the rubber so I had to cut it myself,and after I did that it leaked all the time so I eventually got a new mouth peice. The second one is, after wrecking of it once or twice, the lid on the bladder started to leak.( I kind of think that is to be expected after wrecking on it ) The third one was that the tube was too long and I would put some push some of it down in the bladder holder and the tubing would sometimes slide out and I would have to stop and adjust it. This is a good buy for those of you that like to stay out for long time. I give it 4 flaming bananas!!

Submitted by Billy Joe Bob a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've owned a Camel Back for years it hasn't given me any problems. I still have
my original bladder in it. The thing is indestructable. Soon I'll be upgrading
to the Mule for more carrying space and a bigger blader. I also have the Pakster
which I bought with my camel back and it is still in good shape. I must give
camel bak a thumbs up.

Submitted by jack a weekend warrior from keene

Date Reviewed: April 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a camel back yesterday and it does a good job a supplying water with little movement on your back i need fifty words so a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

Submitted by mike a cross-country rider from Wooster, OH

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

*****************Having problems cleaning your Camelbak?******************** First: DO NOT BUY THOSE EXPENSIVE CLEANING PRODUCTS!!!!!!! Instead of that $15 device that effectively dries out your bladder, USE A BENT HANGER!
Second:when cleaning your bladder, do not buy those expensive cleaners or even soap. The former doesn't leave a residue, but using Palmolive will leave an aftertaste of soap for about 20-30 uses. Instead, let the fungus sit in ARM'N'HAMMER baking soda for a few hours. No nasty aftertaste, and all the fungus is gone.
Source:I haven't learned these things from wasting money, I just listened to my mother who has cleaned things effiecientlt much longer than I have been alive. Try it, it works!!!

Submitted by mike a cross-country rider from Wooster, OH

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

First off, I love my Camelbak. My Camelbak and my Camelbak only. OK, maybe my Pakster too, but let me tell everyone that all these accessories are not needed. First, we are told that we all need seat packs, then we are all told we need to put a 20 lb pack on our backs so that our bikes can be lighter. Now, it is all wieght distribution and it is a personal preference. Now, once we all have our bike stands and shop quality tools shoved in a pack, we now realize why there are racks (but oh so unfashionable). Before our rack realization, our backs start getting sweaty. What to do what to do... answer: Trek's Suspension Pack. It is a decent size, with all the necessary straps, but a cushioning between your back and the pack itself: hence...much less sweat and more comfort. Check it out it is very cool and practical. Except for that non-cult status of the Trek logo. Get over it. Ride what works, not what looks cool.

Submitted by Oscar a cross-country rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

Went trail bashing with friends, it was 34 degrees celsius (100far). They all had hot water after the first hour, mine was still cool. Only complaint is that the bite valve does not always supply good flow when in a rush and must prime the first bit of water otherwise you drink HOT water. Fits great and does the job. I don't go without it in this heat!!! -1 chery for bite valve +1 for keeping my water cool when needed most! +1 for comfort. +1 for fitment. +1 weight. +1 for easy adjustment. It beats the bottle!

Submitted by Matt N. a weekend warrior from Wixom, MI

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I can't imagine ever riding without one of these strapped to my back ever again. You can take a drink without having to grab down for a bottle and it holds 70 oz. of water, which is more than I've ever needed. My only complaint is that the bladder is difficult to open and the bite valve doesn't give me enough water. Even with these flaws it still beats drinking from a bottle.

Camelback mountain construction article...

[url=http://ktar.com/22/1652833/City-Echo-Canyon-makeover-is-on-track]Official: Echo Canyon makeover is on schedule - ktar.com[/url] Kinda pissed that they took all the steps out for the rare times I actually made it over there to hike. I'm curious as to what kind of bike trails have been created ... Read More »

camelback podium chill 25oZ

Just bought this and I don't have any bottle cages that will hold it. Anybody know a cage that will hold it?Read More »

Big pocono state park or sometimes called camelback review

I have been to this park once before but only to the one lake. I was still just getting into the sport. Yesterday I went there with my x cal and downloaded the map for riding from [url=http://www.loftsports.com/bike_trails.html]The Loft - Poconos Bike Trail Map[/url] Most of the trails is sm ... Read More »

Camelback replacement parts

In a recent bike crash, the bigbite valve with the hydrolock detached from the hose of my Camelback pack and got lost. Was looking over the Internet for replacements parts. The least expensive price for the valve was $5 and the hydrolock was $6 plus $11 for shipping. Then I found a store that sells ... Read More »

Found Camelback in Maryland

I was riding today, and when I came out to the parking lot, I found it on the road. I want to give this back to the rightful owner, so please reply to this post or message me with the Park name, color and model, of the bag, and mention a few items in the inside. If you may know someone missing their ... Read More »