Camelbak Blowfish Water Carrier

4.78/5 (100 Reviews)

Camelbak Blowfish 70oz Hydration Pack is the go-to trail pack for tons of cyclists no matter what discipline. Just big enough to pack all day supplies, but not too big as to be cumbersome.

Submitted by yogiprophet a Racer from Santa Fe, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light for what it can carry.

Weaknesses:    Weak construction.

Bottom Line:
I had a Blowfish from 2001 that I used for many years. It's zipper finally gave way about a year ago. I have since gone through 2 Blowfishs. To be fair, the first one ripped when a branch snagged it, but the one I originally had gone through many snags with hardly a scratch. They should be designed for that since it is for mountain biking. So I went out and bought another one and this one lasted a few weeks. I brushed up against a tree and the shoulder strapped ripped off. I couldn't believe it. I went back and examined the tree to see if there was anything it could have snagged on and there wasn't. I have to conclude thta Camelbak has considerably lowered their quality since my original Blowfish and so I cannot recommend this pack...at all.

Similar Products Used:   I've only used Camelbak hydration packs.

Submitted by noot a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Goes from "Plenty" to "Tons" of room with 1 zip.
Fairly comfortable
Pump holder inside
Opens very wide, easy to stuff things inside
Large bladder
Bladder lid is great
Bite valve works well

Weaknesses:    Need to take bladder out to fill
Looks funny when fully loaded

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bag for anyone who wants more than just a bladder with room for a couple tools. It fits a pump, tube, wallet, keys, and then some when in "small" mode. When unzipped, this thing will fit a full change of clothes. The zipper design allows the bag to open completely, making it easy to pack a ton of stuff in.

I would buy this again without thinking should mine ever need replacing.

Favorite Trail:   Ones with dirt

Similar Products Used:   Hydrapak Overflow

Bike Setup:   SS 29er

Submitted by maverick a Cross Country Rider from rockville MD America

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    big space good airflow durable its water compartment is water proof easy to clean

Weaknesses:    gets kind of heavy if fully loaded

Bottom Line:
amazing it is indestructable fell off bike down hill on asphalt did not break or rip wont break u can try it wont bikeing and hiking is a good use NOT jogging or running

Favorite Trail:   appalachian trail

Purchased At:   sports authority

Similar Products Used:   thermobak

Bike Setup:   mountain bike and motorcross

Submitted by silverlion a Weekend Warrior from portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Strengths:    Durable, roomy, 100oz of water, fits well, comfy

Weaknesses:    priced like all bike products, Like they are made of gold.

Bottom Line:
I'm fairly new at the MTB thing and when I wipe out, I do it well. I had a killer spill the day I bought it. I'm not a small dude, 240 lbs. The bladder and pack took the brunt of the fall(and my weight) and didn't fail. The dirt even washed right out of it. I didn't wash it when I first used it. Just filled it with water, emptied it, and refilled it. No plastic taste. The only issue I had was letting go of the money. Like all things for fun, it costs. You'd think in this economy the poor man could have some fun too. Well, he can. He's just gonna be a little thirsty. It will be easier to let go of the cash for the next one. I don't know how I rode without one.

Favorite Trail:   anything unpaved

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   frame mounted water bottles

Bike Setup:   Novara Ponderosa FSR

Submitted by TienShan a Cross Country Rider from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2009

Strengths:    - good size and capacity
It has 100 oz reservoir and has good storage size.

Weaknesses:    - algae grows easily
- no ventilation in the back
The pack sticks to my back when I sweat and becomes extremely uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
This is for an older model of Blowfish. Maybe the newer version has improved on the back ventilation. I certainly hope so. After some research and now I am switching to Deuter Race Air X II. Deuter makes great packs. The back of the pack doesn't make direct contact to your back. It suspends over the back and there is a mesh. The design allows great air flow. Anyway, enough Camelbak for me. Besides it's over priced. I don't know if it's any better than those you can buy from Costco which costs less then $20.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak MULE and Blackburn Amazon which are all similar just different size.

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel, Dean TI bar, Dean TI post, Titec TI stem, XT drive train.

Submitted by Freewillie a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light and very versatile. Carries lots of stuff

Bottom Line:
This is one heckuva pack. I wanted one pack that could do everything I wanted outdoors. Some packs were too small, some were too large, and some were just crappy. This pack does it all. It expands and collapses with a zipper, so I can take minimal stuff on trail rides or expand and pack more stuff for longer rides. If you only have cash for one pack, this is it! I haven't yet had to use the full volume, but it is awesome knowing it is there when fall rolls around and I'll be packing extra layers, etc. The water bladder system is very easy to use and carries plenty of water.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by gointhedistance a Cross Country Rider from Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    Perfect size for a any ride or a day hike. Flexibility to expand. 3L reservoir. Bladder strength. Pocket organizers. Looks. Reflective hits. Comfort. Cheaper than other similar models.

Weaknesses:    Pocket organizers - they seem a little too small and awkward, just not executed perfectly like the rest of the pack. Price-as all hydro packs.

Bottom Line:
I debated for a really long time between several camelbak models and some North Face models. North Face turned out to have poorer reviews and to be overpriced, so it was down to the CB MULE or CB Blowfish. The MULE had great reviews but I was afraid it would be just too small. I not only wanted to use it for riding, but day hikes. The versatility of the Blowfish is why I love it. It is the same dimension as the MULE when closed, and is very comfortable, but also can be expanded to fit heavier loads. Still while being everything a hydro pack should be. The Blowfish is a sweet pack. The extra space is nice to have and the other features seem to work very well in conjunction with the rest of the pack. I would recommend it based strictly on the extra cargo room while still being a sleek bag. 4 chilis for value because its a hydro pack and all hydro packs are overpriced.

Favorite Trail:   Theo

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Classic.

Bike Setup:   Jamis

Submitted by Timur a Weekend Warrior from Kazakhstan

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    1. Right choice for weekend warriors like me.
2. Strap ends on new model are tied, so they will not flop your body on high speed.
3. And yes, Camelbak reservoir is in package!

Weaknesses:    1. no mech pocket (old model has it) to put there gloves, hat, glasses on the fly
2. same non waterproff fabric, so all you stuff will be wet in the rain
3. reflective loops on shoulders some times hook helmet buckle when you look round in the traffic or riding in the group (that is terrible, so I cut them off.

Bottom Line:
Size is good, but design could be better.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Old Blowfish model, Vaude

Bike Setup:   few mtbikes

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    Its is a Camelbak. It has plenty of room to carry xtras with you. It is comfortable even loaded down. You can use it for everything from biking to hiking and everything in between. They have gotten cheaper and are worth every cent you spend on it. This is the best Camelbak I have used.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This works really well for the long outings. Carry everything you need to keep the trip fun and prepared. I love it and the price has really dropped over the past few years. I use it for everything not just biking. HYDRATE OR DIE!

Similar Products Used:   Nothing but Camelbak. They are all good.

Bike Setup:   Enduro Elite

Submitted by Connor a Cross Country Rider from Bridgewater

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    expandable cargo pocket thing. cell phone camera pockets ect. very comfy. very cool.

Weaknesses:    i don't like the little lock thing on the tube

Bottom Line:
this pack is sick. the picture at the top does not do it justice. i had an old camelbak mule and it just got to the point where i couldn't fit all the stuff i needed in it. with the expandable pockets i can bring as much or as little as i want with me. the mesh back keeps you very cool. doesnt bounce around at all, and it sits higher up on your back so it doesn't feel like its about to fall off. this pack can be a little pricy but if you look around you can find it for cheap.

Favorite Trail:   the rock

Purchased At:   wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Mule

Bike Setup:   05 Giant Trance 4

Submitted by Gregg a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    Everything!!!!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I love this thing!! Was worried about the water tasting funny and there is no aftertaste at all! Airflow is good through the back and the reservoir does not leak OR leave its condensation on my back. The reservoir area is insulated too so my water stays cool even without ice. The weight distribution is another good thing about it. Great fit and VERY comfortable to wear. Awesome product, and for $40 I couldn't have gone wrong.

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Regular back-pack

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Warrior pro

Submitted by Steven a Weekend Warrior from Cottonwood, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    This is a great Camelbak!Strenghts, EVERYTHING. Only a few things have happened.D- ring right where you need it,compression straps perfectly centered,lightweight and you can carry everything!Parts vey cheap and evrywhere! Costomere* service is great

Weaknesses:    I have had only problems with the bite.I guess I bite too hard cause I've had to replace two of them (very cheap might I add)

Bottom Line:
BUY THIS CAMELBAK!! You can take it anywhere, throw it all over the place,even throw it down a hill it will keep going!Anyone and everyone should buy this camelbak. One note:Buy the 100 oz resivor and your ride will go a lot better(HYDRATE OR DIE!!)I've taken this up in the mountain reppeling to hiking the Grand Canyon. It will do everything!Most of this stuff is also waterproof so no worries! Annother Note: Use something to use as a sleeve over the resivior,as condensation forms it will seep into the sleeve not your bak!I use a military jacket sleeve but anything will do.5flamin chilies for an awsome freakin pak!!!Enjoy

Favorite Trail:   Red Rock Pathways

Purchased At:   Popular Outdoor Sports

Similar Products Used:   Only Camelbak

Bike Setup:   2004 Harro Extreme X1(Used)

Submitted by Tim Dillingham a Cross Country Rider from Olathe KS

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2006

Strengths:    very durable pak. Big pockets and it isnt too bulky.

Weaknesses:    wouldnt be good for racing

Bottom Line:
I have used this pak for riding, snowboarding, canoeing, camping. It has had some hard falls with me landing on it without destroing any parts of it. I highly recomed this pak or any that camel pak makes

Favorite Trail:   miner park

Purchased At:   bike source

Similar Products Used:   mule, rocket

Submitted by TJ a Cross Country Rider from La Canada

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    Cargo capacity, bite valve technology, hydration capacity, and mutiple configurations for the hydration tube.

Weaknesses:    Small buckles and belts. The straps are sewn onto the pack making replacement impossible. Small zippers and grab loops. Lack of color choice.

Bottom Line:
I don't understand why hydration packs in general cost more than $25.00. I ended up swapping out a few parts from my old Hydration pack, including the velcro hold down for the hydration tube. This pack has odd ergonomics. All storage seems to be at the bottom of the pack. I only carry the essentials, but the result is some pack bulge at the bottom and a low riding pack.

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet