GoPro HD Helmet Hero Video Cameras

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

USA GoPro retailers are prohibited from shipping GoPro productsTo Canada.GoPro’s HD Helmet HERO isThe world’s highest performance wearable 1080p HD video and still photo camera. Professional quality 1080p / 960p / 720p HD resolutions record at 30 and 60 frames per second (60 fps in 720p). Record upTo 2.5 hours on a single charge and upTo 9 hoursTotal on a 32GB SD card (not included).The camera can also shoot automatic 5MP photos at 2/5/10/30 and 60 second intervals during your activi

Submitted by mooreyfiveo a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to use once set up. Easy to play back straight to TV. Easy to change front/rear set up with helment strap mount. Tough/waterproof. Easy to operate while moving. Parts and accessories available online.

Weaknesses:    Sits high on helmet/low branch magnet. BEEPS - to indicate on/off/record etc could be louder, hard to hear when moving.

Bottom Line:
Awesome video for price/size. Shaky when used as bar mount but great on helmet facing front or rear(make sure straps are well secured as they make a lot of noise if flapping at speed).
Wide angle lens makes lining it up pretty easy. If it looks right, it probably is. Not bad at night if you are folowwing others, no good on your own, simply not enough light.
Picture good on 48inch SONY. Find 720 @ 60fps is better than 1080. Easy to locate and operate buttons while riding in full finger gloves. I usually hit start/stop every 5-6min to have managable size files at the end. I have nothing to compare it too, but it's a bloody ripper.
Can now buy add on screen too! Only negative is that the BEEP noise to indicate you have pressed start/stop button is a bit hard to hear when moving.
Would have given BIG 5 chilli rating if BEEPS were louder and viewing screen was built in, but that's being pretty fussy.

Favorite Trail:   Forrest

Purchased At:   Gift - thanks Ryno!

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 4 XT/XTR Mavic Thomson

Submitted by dorkboy a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    1st video camera that I bought. I wanted it for snowboarding and biking. I loved it for snowboarding, it worked 100% without any problems. Now using it for biking, still the same. works great, super easy to adjust and get various filming angles. Fun to use and always exciting to see what you've done, once you get home.
Comes with everything you need to get you running. Extra parts are very affordable and easy to get.

I love the GOPRO hd so much, that I want to get another one!

Weaknesses:    none whatsoever

Bottom Line:
Don't worry about it, just buy a GoPro HD, you will love it, there is a huge GoPro community, so you will have no problems with it. This thing is awesome!

I post my videos on youtube, check out dorkboy0.

Scott.

Favorite Trail:   Whitefish trails, MT

Purchased At:   gopro.com

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Pitch Pro, fully modded with Hope stuff.

Submitted by TXTony a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2010

Strengths:    I got the bundled package,camera,extra battery,chesty,4gb card for the above listed price. First off for those expecting a high end camera, this is not a Nikon or Canon, and was not intended to be. It is a helmet cam and for the price it is an outstanding value. Numerous mounts and applications..user friendly..simple..expanded memory..durable..waterproof case..excellent video quality for the price range..1080p.never use it much though because of the file sizes.I like the wide angle POV and have used wide angle lenses in photo work and that really is a personal preference more than anything else. Customer support is awesome and they seem to be a company that is stoked on their product and their customers..it is slowley becoming one of the most popular pieces of equipment in action sports..

Weaknesses:    The only thing I wish it had was a lcd..so I could get the angle and view spot on..just need to play with it some and get an idea of the field of view and you should be good to go..I understand an expansion pack is in the works so one can add a LCD to the back of the camera.

Bottom Line:
For the price and the product you get one can not really go wrong with this camera..the accessories are abundant and they are reasonably priced..these give you so many mounting options that this camera can be used for almost any activity..ones creativity seems to be the only limits of this little camera..upon initial inspection it seems so simple and almost dated by today standards of electronic gizmos..but he thing performs and performs well..I have been using PNY Class 10 cards with zero issues..I guess sometimes simple is better..Gopro seems to have nailed this one and though there are more expensive ones on the market I really can not see spending more than what I did for what this camera offers..it is a versatile tool worth the purchase..I will probably end up getting another one in the future just to have two povs going on..if your like me a rider not a racer who has to budget for all things bikes and does a lot of research on products..this was one purchase that I never questioned myself on after making it..it truly is one of the coolest things I have bought in awhile..Recommended Highly!

Favorite Trail:   Dinosauer Valley

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Similar Products Used:   None..I did vast amounts of research before pulling the trigger on this camera

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel Ex8, Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Specialized Enduro.

GoPro - HD Helmet HERO 1080p HD Wearable Video Camcorder $80 YMMV

For in-store pickup only, Best Buy offers the GoPro HERO 1080p HD Helmet Camcorder, model no. CHDHH-001, for $79.99. That's $55 under our 2011 mention and the lowest price we've seen for any GoPro helmet camcorder. (It's also a current price low by $263.) This digital camcorder is fully waterproof ( ... Read More »

GoPro 1080p HD Helmet Hero for $129 on woot

woot.com I'm glad I didn't buy one a couple months back when I was looking at them at Best Buy.Read More »

GoPro 1080p HD Helmet Hero $135

Going on at woot.com right now for $130 + $5 shipping.Read More »

Denver: GoPro Helmet Hero HD $230 (NEW)

I have a few GoPro cameras that I was going to use for a snowboarding project that I'm no longer going to do. They are all brand new and sealed. Everything is included. $230. I live in Thornton. GoPro’s HD Helmet HERO is the world’s highest performance wearable 1080p HD video and still photo c ... Read More »

REI $239.99 GoPro Helmet Hero HD

In case people are looking for a deal from a reputable dealer: [url]http://www.rei.com/product/794062/gopro-digital-helmet-hero-hd-wide-angle-camera[/url]Read More »