Contour Vholdr Camera Recorder Video Cameras

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

The Twenty20 VholdR Camera Recorder is a small, compact camcorder that uses dual lasers as referencing beams showing you where the camera is pointed, and if it is level. The VholdR systems captures your video at 640x480 resolution and can be rotated 192 degrees within a pivoting hermetically sealed capsule.

• 192 degree rotating lens with twin lasers for frame aligning
  • Anodized aluminum case for protection
  • Easy-to-hit on/off switch even with thick gloves
  • Sealed rear door houses rechargable battery (included) with up to 2 hours' life and micro SD card slot (not included)
  • Built-in Fine Line compression processor delivers clean lines and sharp colors
  • Trail mount interface allows attachment virtually anywhere (helmet mount included)
  • Video recording rate is 50 minutes per 1GB, with a resolution of 640 x 480 (480 lines) at 30fps

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Peter Farrow a Weekend Warrior from chippenham,wiltshire,England

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Very robust construction, good colour balance, has an array of accessories

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
    Great Camera, works flawlessly all the time. I use proper enditing software on a good PC so I have no problems editing and using the footage from the camera.

Excellent product all round

Purchased At:   Tredz.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Go Pro

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius MC10

Submitted by ivall a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    The only camera i have seen with laser level so you know that you are not pointing at the sky or ground. The Gopro camera i use to have was crap in that sense. You would turn it on and Hope you had it pointed in the right direction. Great HD 1080P video quality from the ContourHD 1080, and batteries are easily swapped out. Smallest and Lightest helmet camera on the planet. Mounts are EASY to take on and off, Long battery life, and comes standard with 2GB memory card.

Weaknesses:    I wish the waterproof lexan case accessory came with it, but that just means i cant go SCUBA or swim with it. Rain and snow don't hurt it at all without the case

Bottom Line:
    Huge improvement over the original with 720p/1080P selector switch. The best out there, and i know. I have had the Gopro HD camera, which is good quality with waterproof case, but lacks in function and style. You could never tell when wearing the Gopro if you had it turned on! You would start a race and when you got done be totally pissed cause you thought you had turned it on! With the Contour HD video camera i never had that problem. Easy slide ON button so you are 100% sure it is recording. Also, i got the best deal from Great service from Needfultoyz who had many of the accessories included free. Shop around and look for the best combo deal for what you are needing. You will definitely want a spare battery, 8GB memory card, and desk charger accessory packs. It is nice to have a spare battery for long weekends and multiple races. Oh and if you use to have an old school camcorder setup with tripod mount, the contour has a tripod threaded adapter accessory so you can use your existing mount setup!

Favorite Trail:   Whistler

Purchased At:   NeedfulToyz.com

Similar Products Used:   Gopro Motorsports Wide Hero, The older Contour helmet camera (non HD)

Bike Setup:   I use this on my bike helmet with the bike strap accessory. I should get the bike mount next to see how that works

Submitted by 770nbp a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2009

Strengths:    Small, light, large record switch, lazer pointer, fair video quality, all in one system, seems Twenty20 wants to improve the product/experience.

Weaknesses:    75% of the footage I have taken ended up being "frozen screen" and useless. VholdR software has almost non-functional editing capabilites and you will have to download alot of codec to upload to windows movie maker. Several accessories needed to have a truly functional and capable Mt Bike unit (larger SD cards, vented helmet mount, spare battery, battery charger). Out of the box, the unit charges the battery via a USB port, which takes 4 hours or more and is not readily accessible in my outdoor activities.

Bottom Line:
    My unit was $279.00 but I've spent about $100.00 more on the accessories you need to have a system that is capable of shooting the highlights of a 1 day, epic adventure. I was upset to see so much of the footage was frozen and useless but I'm pretty happy with the video quality of the footage I could use. Its a neat toy but has alot of room to improve. You will almost assuredly want to edit and share your video through a source other than the VholdR software/site. This will probably require more extensive downloads/codec. Its a novel idea but kinda high $ for what I'm able to do with it so far.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhotti

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   XC/AM

Submitted by IRONMAN1518 a Racer from Las Cruces, New Mexico

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2008

Strengths:    Dumb Simple to use and mount on my helmet! Video quality is great, and I can use My DvD s/w to make an edited movie. I got the external battery charger to make it easier to charge the battery. Small, light I didn't really feel additional weight on my helmet when I wore it.

Weaknesses:    Isn't HD, and microphone is very sensitive. However that is easily fixed with tape/foam, etc.

Bottom Line:
    SWEET!! Simple to use with gloves while ridding, battery life is great, did add a 2GB card for more video time. I had looked at several other camera set-ups and this seemed the best for my use.
    Support @ VholdR is tremendous!! Ordered on friday before Xmas got it on the 24th even though they had a big blizzard in Seattle! Great Xmas surprise for me!!
    Tons of great info @ the VholdR forums. Get one! I'll give more info on it as I go along.

Favorite Trail:   Any dirt area

Purchased At:   VholdR

Similar Products Used:   Sony mini-dvd camera.

Bike Setup:   '08 Maverick Durance, DUC 32 fork, X9, Gripshift, Juicy 7 brakes.

Submitted by MaxxCutts8 a Weekend Warrior from Long Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2008

Strengths:    Very simple to use and operate while wearing gloves. The dual lasers allow for a very quick set up - I'm not wasting memory and battery time just making sure I'm getting the right shot. The rotating lens makes the camera incredibly versatile, especially when it comes to using the handlebar mount or mounting the camera to my helmet. The anti-shock and anti-vibration features are great, especially because I do my fair share of trail riding. The VholdR is very light (less than 5 oz) so I can't ever feel it! I've also dropped it quite a few times and, lo and behold, it has withstood every drop without a crack. The picture quality is excellent for the technology and the fact that it can still operate after a bit of rain makes me very happy with this purchase! Lastly, the Desktop software makes video editing simple for any average computer user like myself.

Weaknesses:    I'd love to be able to hook up an external mic.

Bottom Line:
    The VholdR is made perfectly for any rider - whether it's off road, cross country, street, or downhill. The textured record/stop switch makes this camera too easy to use while in action. Forget the other handsless camcorders - this one lets you focus on the sport without having to worry about operating the device! The people at VholdR are geniuses for coming up with the dual lasers - now there is no excuse for wasting time setting up your helmet cam. Video quality is impeccable for a wearable camcorder and its virtual unbreakability makes this camera ideal for any action rider!

Don't be fooled by the other cameras -- my buddies all wish they had gotten the VholdR instead of theirs after testing mine!

Similar Products Used:   GoPro and my regular digital camera (on video). Seen my buds use the Oregon Scientific and the Sharper Image helmet cams.

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0