Home | Reviews | Trainer | Tacx

Tacx Fortius Multiplayer Trainer

2.4/5 (20 Reviews)

Fortius T-1940 Multiplayer is the most advanced, realistic Virtual Reality (VR) trainer available, using a maneuverable steering frame and powerful engine brake to simulate climbs and descents and generate a life-like cycling experience in your home.

Submitted by Alain a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2015

Strengths:    Realistic - allows simulation of downhill sections to allow recovery. Hill climbs quite realistic and whilst you can cheat using the proportional power adjustment - on full power the TDF climbs are an absolute *@*t!

Can be bought quite cheaply given the new models are out.

Can be modified easily to take a 20" wheel by adding a U bracket and then bolting the motor brake and block approximately 5cm higher than the standard mount.

Weaknesses:    The software is expensive to upgrade by itself (EUR120). I found it cheaper to buy a new trainer on special to upgrade the software.

The only negative to the simulations I have is based on my own GPS recordings which seem to have a lag in terms of when you hit climbs and downhills but I suspect this may be the result of the bike computer gps recording rather than the system itself.

My inability to replicate the TDF mountain stages!

Parts are getting harder to find but most are interchangeable with the 2200 series. I broke the release lever for the motor brake but replaced it with a spare from ebay. Much cheaper than buying from TACX.

Bottom Line:
I was a little bit hesitant buying this given some of the experiences and reviews. However, a number of reviews relate to the older software and the fact that some of the hardware being used may not have been capable of running the software.

Overall this is an Excellent trainer. Very close to real road conditions and the motor brake allows you to recover on downhill sections of the courses. I have found that the fortuis is better than the 2180/2220 in that I appreciate the downhill assistance and I find the resistance is a bit smoother. Having said that, both work well with the videos and my personalised programs. My 8yo loves it as he can ride and watch the videos so he doesn't get bored when he cycles indoors which was a challenge with our old JetBlack trainer.

System is very good and allows you to transfer your own gps trip records and use google maps to train against. Not sure why people have had trouble with the software although it does not like major system changes. I have used v.204, 3.5, 4.12 with 2 trainers - the I-magic and the 2180 i-Flow. I had to build a brace for the 2180 to work on a 20" BMX wheel for my 8yo but they are brilliant and still available quite cheaply now. The key issue is having a PC that has a separate graphics card and at least 8gb (Mine is 16gb) of ram. I have run mine on both an Apple MacBook i7 Dual Core running VM Fusion and XP (for 2.04) and a Win 7 i7 Laptop with a GT520 2Gb Video Card and 16GB with no issues. TACX support have been responsive and actually sent me a full version of the 4.12 multiplayer software when the disc that came with my 2180 was the incorrect software version. So to be fair, my experience has been good. Their service centre in Brisbane doesn't exist anymore but they have one in Sydney and the support from the NL has been excellent to date.

Thankfully the hardware is fully compatible with the new software. The steering frame is ok but I wouldn't worry about it if you found a trainer without it as it is more a gimmick than a training tool and doesn't really add much to the experience and requires me to change 2 wheels compared to the 2180/2220.

Mounting the bike is easy using the quick release. The Steering frame makes it a little more complex as it needs to be adjusted for different frame sizes. But the steering frame removes the need for a riser and does make the bike more stable for my feeble attempts at sprinting or going up mountains.

I would recommend a trainer wheel and tyre (any cheapie wheel will do and either a dedicated trainer tyre (I use a Vittoria) or any old tyre. It definitely chews tubular tyres faster than the clinchers.

Other than Bluetooth capability on the newer models which gets rid of the wires - I cant see much of a functional difference between this older model and the newer genius. I'm sure you could justify the higher expenditure but I am very happy with this version even if it looks a little untidy with the cables.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere on the bike!

Purchased At:   BikeBug.com

Similar Products Used:   TACX 2220/2180 and JetBlack HydroMag Trainer.

Bike Setup:   Pinarello Quattro Athena EPS with Vittoria Home Trainer Tyre on a Fulcrum 5 wheel with a 10-23 11spd Chrous cassette. For the road, same bike with Aeolus 5 wheels and a 12-27 Chorus cassette.

Pinarello FP2 with record 10-23 cassette and 3T Accelero Pro Wheels. I use the same trainer wheel and swap the cassette if I use this bike on the trainer.

Kawasaki LX20 Mountain Bike used on the 2180/2220

Submitted by Doug

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2014

Strengths:    This is my 2 review first one was with old software the new programs are great this helps me stay in shape. It gives you a real life experance with a lot of options.

Weaknesses:    This a beta product so development at the beginning can be slow but once they have it perfected it is great. You just need to work through it.

Bottom Line:
A great product that is worth the investment if you want to stay in shape and enjoy biking. I live in Wisconsin so this gives me the opportunity to ride my bike daily no matter what the weather.

Submitted by DGARDNER

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    Looks good in the pictures

Weaknesses:    Impossible to install the software and get it working

Bottom Line:
TACX BLAAAAAAAHHHHH

Submitted by Douglas J Doeren

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2013

Strengths:    Frame seams fine concept is good

Weaknesses:    Vary poor software vary poor sevice you spend far more time working on it verse riding it

Bottom Line:
they have a great concept but they can not get a handle on software come with new ideals but they do not work. pay for google software but you can not load it. buy there vidios but hard to get them loaded Online service is poor take forever to respond and the fix is not the answer, ! have tts3 & tts4 and not been ablle ride for over a month tts3 crashes support has no fixes tts 4 waiting to validate lic
why I do not know & and they don't. It is time consuming. (should be bought out by someone to better organise) sad

Submitted by Dad

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2013

Strengths:    Quite feature rich (if and when it works)
Seems reasonably accurate in terms of power

Weaknesses:    TOTALLY sucky customer support. Probably not helped by the fact that they all seem to be Dutch and their English is sometimes not great
Software crashes frequently
Handlebar interface unit (T1932) is extremely poor at picking up heart rate
Tacx are tight fisted and just plain mean when it comes to helping fix issues

Bottom Line:
Where to start! Before I get into any kind of detail, I should offer to save you time; you do not have to read my review. Long story short: DO NOT BUY THIS TRAINER OR ANY TRAINER THAT RUNS ON TACX TRAINER SOFTWARE.

It's an expensive system and, to be fair, if it worked I might go so far as to say it's worth it. But it rarely works. It takes a loooong time to set things up and once done you need to go through multiple patch downloads (which take a loooong time to download and install) to bring your system up to date. Some of the downloads don't work and you have to contact the dreaded Tac 'support' staff to get them to send them to you as zipped files. You have to apply these patches because Tacx release extremely buggy software then multiple patches to progressively attempt to fix the bugs (except they don't really fix the bugs...).

I could go on for days about how flaky and buggy the software is, but won't. Because firstly it's really boring, but also because I find it quite depressing to reflect upon the amount of time I have wasted trying to get it to work and not training or spending time with my family.

The handlebar mounted interface unit (T1932) is extremely poor at picking up heart rate. Tacx 'support' will string you along with all kinds of yarns about radio interference or blame your heart rate strap, but having spent a long time troubleshooting this issue in various conditions, replacing batteries, trying new straps and even having replaced the T1932 interface, I can confidently conclude it is simply a badly designed piece of kit. I have had to accommodate its poor function by mounting a time trial bar on my handlebars backwards and attaching the unit to the end of it, so as to bring it closer to my chest. Utterly ridiculous to spend thousands of bucks and days of wasted effort on a supposedly high end system such as this only to have to resort to jury rigging and duct tape to get something as basic as hert rate working. Tacx 'support' have known about this for years and seem content to do nothing about it whatsoever.

As I said, there is much more to it than this, but I won't bore you with the details. Just don't buy one. Although you could buy mine if you like. $50. Or free. I don't care.

I have my suspicions that this is some form of international plot by the Dutch to hinder the progression of cyclists outside of the Netherlands to improve the chances of their cyclists doing well. It has certainly put a huge dent in my training schedule!

Submitted by T. Fenton a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    With the Real Life Video you can ride some impressive virtual rides and keep the boredom down.

Weaknesses:    Along with the original one I purchased, I have been sent 2 replacements and none of them worked. I had calibration problems and the resistance unit would constantly lock up. I tried 3 different computers (one with XP and 2 with Win 7, 32 and 64 bit) and none of them worked, including a core i7 950 with a high end nVidia graphics card and 8 GB of ram. I coudn't get my money back either as they strung me along with replacement bits that the warranty expired. I did finally solve the problem though. I bought a computrainer. Never had a problem since and ErgVideos (3rd party software) are fantastic.

Bottom Line:
While the vast collection of virtual terrain, including sections of le Tour, the Spring Classics, etc, is really enticing, Tacx trainers are extremely problem prone. I have never had more than about 25 minutes of trouble free riding with mine. The computrainer I bought to replace it is so much better. Not as cool looking and the software doesn't look as modern but it always works. I eventually took my Tacx unit to the local metal recycler and cheered as it got crushed. I could have sold it to some hapless shmuck but I would never feel good about ripping someone off like that. I don't know how Tacx can keep doing it.

Similar Products Used:   Computrainer, Cycleops Electronic (another huge failure)

Submitted by Magnus Andersen

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2012

Strengths:    Concept.
Somebody else payed for it.

Weaknesses:    Unstable software
Build quality

Bottom Line:
Have two of them in the gym at work. The concept is good, but the build quality is just terrible.
Hardware is flimsy. Poor connectors comes loose, plastic pedal on brake is badly designed, and doomed to fail after a short time.
Software is terrible unstable and crashes all the time. If you try to update, the updater crashes.
If you get it to work, the real life video is quite fun, however on many tracks, the synchronization between video and brake response is bad. The measured speed seems quite right, but it doesn't always correlate to well with the video speed.
The VR trainer is also a fun idea, but it looks like something from the late '90. Simple vector graphics, decorated with sprites. However, even though , the software draws a lot of memory and CPU, so you need a fairly new PC to run it.

Submitted by bj

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    Hey...It's fun! Makes workouts a blast. I race against my buddy who I train with all summer and it is spot on.

Weaknesses:    a bit expensive and there is a learning curve to all the stuff it can do. But when i look out my window and it is raining or snowing and i can ride in sunny italy or france. I will take it!

Bottom Line:
It's a blast.

Submitted by ryan34 a All Mountain Rider from pleasant grove, utah, usa

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome product, takes the boredom out of using a trainer

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Love the product...

Favorite Trail:   anything with a climb

Purchased At:   timp cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kinetic fluid trainer

Bike Setup:   Raleigh cx

Submitted by gordo a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2011

Strengths:    Keeps me motivated, wide variety of rides to choose from. The real life video's are fantastic.

Weaknesses:    If you don't have the power to maintain a speed of greater than 15 Km/hr on a climb grades over 10% get a little choppy.

Bottom Line:
I was leery after reading many bad reviews about software/hardware problems with the Tacx fortius. They seem to have many of the problems worked out with the latest version software (3.6). I do have a descent computer that I'm running it on (windows 7 is recommended) The desire to keep training over the winter out weighted the possible problems. It keeps me on the bike for hours at a time without the boredom associated with standard trainers.

Purchased At:   Modernbike

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Specialized s-works roubaix Campy chorus

Submitted by Roadrider1001 a Racer from Illinois

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2011

Strengths:    Durable frame, really stable, videos are a good distraction when they work, virtual reality is fun when it works.

Weaknesses:    It absolutely will NOT work reliably!!! You truly have to be more of a computer tech then a cyclist to make this work (or you will be by the time you get it working). Customer service is non existent. The bug fixes don't help and suspiciously there is a new update every 6 weeks or so...

Bottom Line:
I'm so feed up with this thing after 2 years of monkeying around with that I really don't even want to take the time to write this review. But, I am morally obligated to make certain that no other cyclist fall into this terribly disappointing and expensive trap. I've done every upgrade and paid for the 3.0 bug fix. But still no reliable trainer. Don't get me wrong. It does work for a little while and it is fun when it does. I've even done a few 4 hour rides on it. The bottom line though is that every negative comment in the other reviews is pretty much right on. I have experienced them all. What Tacx is trying to do would be a great step forward for home training but realistically it is probably 5 years away. So, to recap, read all of the other reviews, read the forums, and under no circumstances should you buy this product. And yes, I know it's painted a really cool and tempting shade of Euro blue.

Favorite Trail:   country road

Purchased At:   modern bike

Similar Products Used:   computrainer

Bike Setup:   Wilier Starship full Dura Ace

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
Just tried my new Tacx Fortius VR Trainer. What a disappointment. I'd assumed since it used the same method of resistance it would be as smooth as the CompuTrainer. It isn't. It feels cheap and rough.
My recommendation: try the Computrainer before you purchase the Tacx.
Live and learn.

Purchased At:   Campione Cycles

Submitted by bjorf a Racer from Montana, USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2011

Strengths:    Immersive, interesting, the real life videos are fun and excellent quality. The interface is reasonably good. You get to coast down hills, which is fun but pointless from a training point of view.

Weaknesses:    Reliability. These things are notorious for being probmematic. Tacx product support, at least in the US, is non-existant. The distributors and dealers don't really know anything about them, technically speaking. They are known to have problems with locking up beyond 450 to 500 watts, can be fussy to set up, resistance motors are prone to failure, cadence sensors are prone to failure, software updates almost always add as many problems and they fix. I ended up getting rid of mine after 3 months of exchanging parts and not doing a lot of training.

Bottom Line:
If you are serious about training spend a bit more and get a computrainer. It will last for years, it's a better training tool, if you have a problem and ask a question on the forum, you will likely get an answer from someone at Racermate (Computrainer) and they don't lock up if you push hard.

If you are not a serious cyclist and don't put out a lot of wattage then it is pretty cool, provided you get one that works.

Similar Products Used:   Cycleops, Computrainer

Submitted by s-worksalot a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    If you can get it working properly, it does releive the bordom fo trainers. Very big IF you can get it workiing!!

Weaknesses:    Unless you are a computer expert, it is virtually impossible to have this product work as advertised. At best I would describe it as a early stage beta version. It is full of bugs and the support is non-existent.

Bottom Line:
Do not waste your money, unless you would rather spend more time working out the bugs, than riding your trainer.
I have been on their forum a lot and no one can just load it as is out of the box and ride...you will need to spend hours and hours reloading and updating and trying to trick your computer into letting this junk work.