Performance Technique Pro Trainer

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Performance Technique Pro

Submitted by Nathan a Weekend Warrior from Rowlett, TX USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Strengths:    Price, fluid resistance unit, markings for wheelbase length, "upgradeable" to the technique pro drums, strong rubber band thingy

Weaknesses:    noisy, PVC drums are large and aren't as durable as aluminum

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the performance Technique (not pro) PVC rollers. I purchased a combo kit which included the fluid resistance unit. I have ridden them 30 minutes 3 times a week for about 3 years. They work adequately well and if it weren't for a great deal on a set of Cycleops rollers, I'd still be riding them. I really like the fluid resistance unit. The progressive, smooth nature of the fluid resistance blends well with the action of the rollers. The large drums on the non-pro rollers don't offer much resistance without it. After several years, the drums seem to be showing a bit of wear - probably nothing unexpected given the price, PVC material, and my weight (210-230). My cycleops rollers spin a little more smoothly and are much quieter, but I miss the fluid resistance. The wheelbase markings on the performance unit make it very easy to get set up properly the first time. My Cyclops took a couple of tries to get the front drum in the right postion. Not too much of a hassle, but still a nice feature. It's kind of neat that performance sells just the 3.5" aluminum drums so you can replace or upgrade, but the price for just the drums is a bit high in my opinion. I am also very surprised by how long the little rubber band thing has lasted. Mine is still the original. I would recommend this set of rollers to anyone who wants an inexpensive set and isn't sure of how much you will use them - you can still upgrade the drums later. If you are really into it and riding them a lot, you'll probably want to spend a bit more on the "pro" model, a Cyclops or Kreitler to get smaller diameter aluminum drums.

Favorite Trail:   Womble

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   CycleOps aluminum rollers

Bike Setup:   '98 Jamis Dakota and '02 Jamis Quest

Submitted by Jas a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2003

Strengths:    inexpensive

Weaknesses:    abit noisy, not enough resistance without the add-on resistance unit

Bottom Line:
The performance trainer is identical to the nashbar trainer. Look closely at the pictures from both websites. At high speed, middle or large chainring with small sprocket, one can hear low frequency sinusoidal like vibration. It gets irritating after a while. Also, the roller was not tall enough. The rubber cords were actually rubbing on my rubber mat when I pedal hard.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   regular resistance training

Bike Setup:   aluminum with two wheels (duh..)

Submitted by Ryan from Tacoma, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Strengths:    This is not a review for the Pro aluminum rollers, but the PVC lower end product. The price was very right, and I was riding 15 minutes after unpacking.

Weaknesses:    I'm not quite sure that the rear rollers are completely round, they tend to vibrate quite a bit at higher speeds, hence the 4 chili overall rating.

Bottom Line:
These rollers are great for what I had to pay. I opted not to get the optional fluid resistance add-on, and ive never had any problem getting a good workout. They bucked me off a few times, but Im not holding that against them. They do wear tires very quickly, but I picked up some cheapo tires on closeout when i bought the trainer, so its not a huge deal at all. I would recommend these to everyone looking for a solid set of rollers that dont break the bank.

Favorite Trail:   5-Mile Drive

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   These are my first rollers

Submitted by Guy Pasquino a Cross Country Rider from North Bergen, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    great price for all aluminum drums, smooth roll, folding, well balanced, strong build and resistance can be easly added by putting towels under the rear rollers

Weaknesses:    rough roller surface adds to tire wear

Bottom Line:
Sick of training in the basement on you "stompbox" trainer and want to improve your spin, balance and get a workout? Spend some money on The Technique Pro rollers, it is a great value.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Kreitler (over priced)
CycleOps (not very good)

Submitted by Troy Spicer a Racer from Muskegon, Mi. USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    The rollers run really smooth and fast. Price, and they fold up for storage or you can hall them to the races to warm up on. (Great work out)Half of the price of some other rollers on the market.

Weaknesses:    A little tight when I frist started riding them.

Bottom Line:
Great product the more I ride them the more the tightness is going away. But a set you will like them.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   McClane rollers that I bowered from a friend.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R-600, Kona Chute, GT-LTS 1000 DS, Red Line Mono Cog, Schwinn Homegrown Factory, KHS DominaTrax.

Submitted by Jean-Paul Martin a Weekend Warrior from Oakton, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to set up and store. Well made. Works well for what it's designed to do. Inexpensive. Great value compared to any non-roller type trainer.

Weaknesses:    Buy it from the store so you can exchange it right away if some of the rollers are not centered

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the PVC Technique rollers. Not the aluminium Technique Pro. The quality is very good considering the price I paid. I did have to exchange the first one I got because the front roller was not rotating in a perfect circle and was causing the fron wheel to vibrate. Exchanging it was painless and the new unit is fine. It took me about an hour to get used to the rollers. It feels like riding on ice at first. I highly recommend placing the unit next to a wall and using a low step stool on the other side. I'm very pleased with this unit. It's so much closer to riding on the road than any trainer will ever be. The concentration it takes to keep the bike centered makes indoor training much less boring. There is also much more rolling momentum than on a trainer, which again contributes to a more road-like feel. I'm planning on getting the fluid resistance unit soon. Because the bike rests entirely on rollers, tire pressure is a bigger factor on rolling resistance than with a frame-supporting trainer. I could probably do without the resistance unit by using less tire pressure, but wear and heat would be an issue.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead park, VA

Purchased At:   Performance store

Similar Products Used:   mag trainer

Bike Setup:   Quintana Roo Kilo

Submitted by John Henahan a Racer from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Strengths:    Stainless Steel drums, good roller action, accepts Performance fluid resistance unit for added resistance. Develops smoothness and spin that you can achieve in no other way. Seems well made and durable so far.

Weaknesses:    Rollers do not work well with knobby tires, I'm told. Harder to really jam compared with stationary trainers

Bottom Line:
Let's face it, training indoors sucks!! But, if you must do it, I like the fact that I am improving my spin and smoothness on the bike. I cannot compare these to the Kreitler brand or anything, but I am quite happy with mine. They are made from solid components and seem very durable and smooth to me. I especially like to be able to increase the resistance with the optional fluid resistance unit