Nashbar Trainer Trainer

2.75/5 (12 Reviews)

Nashbar C-Force Trainer

Submitted by Kris a Weekend Warrior from Utah

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2006

Strengths:    Good value (reasonable performance for the money paid), adjustable trainer has enough resistance for mountain bikes, non-adjustable should be neough for most road riders

Weaknesses:    Adjustable model is pretty quiet, non-adjustable is noisy

Bottom Line:
February of 2005 I bought a 2004 Nashbar Fluid trainer (the dak blue model) for $100, but it didn't have enough resistance for my mountain bike so I bought a 2004 Nashbar adjustable fluid trainer for $130 (also dark blue). A few months later I bought a road bike and now use it with the adjustable trainer.

Other people have been using the non-adjustable trainer and at some point it started making a buzzing sound coming from the resistance unit (not sure if it's the roller bearings or the fluid unit). It still seems to work fine, it's just noisey.

The adjustable trainer has worked fine. There are 3 settings for resistance. On the highest setting it worked well for the lower gearing of my mountain bike so I could follow the gearing suggested by most spinning videos. I use the lowest setting for my road bike, but now that I'm getting stronger I may bump it up to the middle setting.

To attach the bike you twist a handle that screws a cup onto your skewer then you tighten the plastic locking ring to minimize flex in the screw shaft and prevent it from loosening. Not as slick as other trainers, but it works. There is some flex when really cranking and especially standing, but it's not too bad for me at 170 lbs. The bike seems to stand up pretty straight, but may lean a bit to the right.

Except for the noise of the non-adjustable trainer, both of these have been working fine. And at the price I paid they're a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike & road bike

Submitted by mark a Racer from fort worth, tx

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Will hold the bike upright

Weaknesses:    Generally shoddy construction. Ugly.

Bottom Line:
I was doing intervals in my kitchen one cold wintery evening, cranking in something like a 53x14, when I was scared nearly out of the saddle by a sudden, intensly loud roaring, like a crippled B-17 executing a forced landing right on top of me! I grabbed the brakes instictlively, which killed the sound. There was a light, acrid smelling smoke in the air. I looked down at the trainer, and the fan had warped, apparantly from the gyroscopic forces, so badly that the inside edge had gouged/burnt a 2 inch slice in the linoleum floor. The fan was beyond repair.
Nashbar, of course, doesn't sell replacement fans.
Piece of crap.

Favorite Trail:   the paved variety

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Volare

Bike Setup:   Italian road bike

Submitted by Don Lu a Racer from Cleveland, OH

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Strengths:    Simple set up
Low maintenance
Smooth resistance--good simulated road feel
Feedback--the rear wheel is easy to lift off the resistance when you're sprinting out of the saddle so you have to be smooth
Small folded volume--easy to pack in the truck along with everyone else's stuff so you can warm up before the race
Enough resistance for anyone other than Marty Nothstein (or just put it in the 54/11, you'll feel it then)

Weaknesses:    Low zoot factor
Bike rocks between the clamps--can be good though when you're trying to rock the bike, such as when sprinting
Moronically simple to overhaul/clean/maintain

Bottom Line:
I love this trainer. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years and I do all of my winter training on it (the winters in Cleveland are LONG) except for 3+ hour rides I try to do outside once a week.

Basically squirted WD-40 in the resistance unit after I first got it and I have literally done ZERO maintenance on it for over 3 years, it's that solid. It's really quiet now except when I sprint all out in the 53/12-11. And I live in an apartment. Nobody's complained yet.

The quick release clamp also makes it a handy bike stand when working on anything other than the rear derailleur (prop it up under the BB to work on the HS.)

I really like this trainer for the money. Recommend it to anyone based on it's reliability, quietness, ample resistance, and reasonable cost.

Favorite Trail:   Anything flat and fast

Purchased At:   Nashbar mail order

Similar Products Used:   Various rollers
Minoura mag trainer

Bike Setup:   GT ZR1000, full 9 spd DA, yada, yada, yada

Submitted by SqeakyCln a Weekend Warrior from TheCity,CA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
Squeaky, smeeky- go lube it(like nothing needs maintenance..don't oil your car and then it dies, einsteins)- This trainer works, is simple and cheap.

Weaknesses:
To simple, not eye candy, too cheap=no respect in your materialisticworld

Bottom Line:
Hey, it works and if you need a better trainer, you are a much better biker than 98% of the dudes out there. And if you ride the trainer all the damn day, you need to get outside and stop rusting your cables with your pure sweat-go take a shower, you stink, too. 4 stars for my effort to churn this out- could've ridden the trainer and done some intervals. Ahh, this damned internet just wastes my time!

The HooKooEKoo going up from the backside (zigzagit)

more than 3 years

hydroPerformance- it's more fluid that draining your overstuffed wallet
some rollerthing-makes you die

mountain bike with baldie

Submitted by Brian a cross-country rider from Ft. Worth, Tx.

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

the ONLY thing I don't like about this trainer is it flexes too easily but i don't ride it enough to really care so I still think it's a nice trainer for the money, but if you train alot on trainers I'd suggest a better trainer but for a casual trainer (like me) that would rather be riding for teh thrill of teh trails or road this is a nice cheap trainer

Submitted by B Crawford a cross-country rider from AR

Date Reviewed: February 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Do not buy this piece of shit! Spend a few extra bucks and get something that works. These is nothing good to be said about this trainer. WARNING! WARNING!
Piece of CRAP! Piece of CRAP! Piece of CRAP! Piece of CRAP! Piece of CRAP! Actually, I like CRAP better.Nuff Said!

Submitted by V. Stambaugh a cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

The C-Force trainer does require regular maintenance. In that you need to apply lube regularly. Other than that, it's simple, quiet and bullet proof. I wake up to it every morning. If the maintenance was a pain I would hate it - but it's not. I think it's money well spent.

Submitted by CHAZ a racer from WASHINGTON

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1997

Bottom Line:

THE NASHABAR TRAINER HAS BEEN PIMPIN IN THE PITS BEFORE THE RACES. SHE HASN'T BEEN SQUEALING WHEN I RIDE HER. MAYBE IM NOT HITTIN THAT SWEET SPOT. BUT I DONT DO THAT MUCH SIMULATED RIDING I DO IT IN THE DIRT!!!

Submitted by Dan a weekend warrior from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1996

Bottom Line:

I had the problem with the loud squealing at certain speeds. (It was so
bad that I would ride with earplugs in). However, the problem disappeared
after I oiled it once (after calling Nashbar). Now it works pretty well,
and I'm fairly happy with it -- i managed to get good workouts all winter.
(Now if they could just do something about the boredom...). For the price,
I'd say it's a pretty good deal...

Submitted by Dennis a weekend warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

The C Force Trainer squeals at low to medium revolutions but can be tamed to a tolerable humming if you pedal fast. Unless you're a really big man and can intimidate your next apartment-door neighbors or you like exercising at 95% max all the time, I do not recommend this trainer. To those who like me, already own this trainer and are not in the market for a new one and live in an apartment building, my advice is: exercise when the neighbor vaccuums.

Submitted by Dan K. from truckee, ca

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1996

Bottom Line:

I know it's the prime of outdoor riding season but it's also the best time to buy a winter indoor trainer. I bought Nashbar's 1995 c force trainer last fall and am very unhappy with it. It's easy to set up, but the flywheel requires constant oiling to stop it from rattling/squeaking. Nashbar admits to it and told me to return it. I am returning it soon. They said their 94 model didn't and do not know why the 95 model makes so much noise. It's only 88 bucks now (112 in the fall/winter). At least the resistance and feel of it were good. It was just so noisy unless you invested in a bunch of lube.

Submitted by Dan K. from california

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1996

Bottom Line:

I know it's summer, but before you know it the cool weather will be here and you'll be looking for an indoor trainer. DO NOT get the Nashbar C Force trainer, specifically the 95 model. It squeaks and squeals unless you put oil on the flywheel. Nashbar even admits to it. The 94 model was flawless, but for some reason Nashbar said the 95 makes a lot of noise. Now they're only about 89 bucks but they're normally 112. We're returning it and looking at a new one while they're on sale during the summer.

Shimano AM41 Flat Biking Trainer Review...

So after much searching for lightweight, sticky, flat pedal, bike specific trainers, I ended up buying the Shimano AM41's. Half the price of some of the 5.10's, Teva's etc, and so much lighter! Onto the Review... Looks : I'd say they are a very marmite trainer, you either love or hate them, they ... Read More »

My cycle trainer blew up

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana] [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]Hello, this is my first thread I've started so sorry in advance if it is too long or not correct. anyway about a year or so I borrowed a cycle train from a guy at work. It was very old but in good shape. It is a mag trainer, has an adjuste ... Read More »

Newb needs help with wheels! (Trainer, Hub, Axles, Etc.)

Hey Folks! I am new to the forum. I wanted to reach out to a community of mountain bikers to get some advice. Recently I decided to get serious about getting in shape. I purchased a trainer for a bike that I had in the garage. This specific trainer is designed to use a "Quick Release Skewer". ... Read More »

What's a good trainer?

I hurt my leg pretty good doing an obstacle course race last week. I have major swelling and bruising on my leg, but the doctor I saw ga e me clearance for some light spinning on a stationary bike. Rather than join a gym or buy a stationary bike I'm going to buy a trainer for my mountain bike with ... Read More »

The Ultimate Indoor Trainer + Game System?

Ok, among other things, I consider myself a fairly avid gamer (disclosure!).. and have been following a certain technology that should.. revolutionize gaming experience. So I'm wondering.. combine the same physical technology as the CompuTrainer ([url=http://www.racermateinc.com/computrainer.asp]Ra ... Read More »