Nashbar Deluxe Rollers Trainer

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Deluxe Rollers

Submitted by dennis from monroe city, mo, usa

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2006

Strengths:    works you hard to stay on this trainer

Weaknesses:    slick hard to stay centered

Bottom Line:
To help master these rollers quicker I put about 5 "bands" of spors tape on each roller. These "bands" slowed down the side to side shift that beginner riders experience the first few tries on the roller trainers. This helped me VERY MUCH. I was able to ride 6 miles the 2nd day after I received these in the mail. the tape gave the wheels just enough friction so I could control the bike and keep it up-right. I'm suprised that I didn't see this posted as a "crutch" for beginning roller riders. Before giving up on a dusty set of rollers in the garage -- just give it a try !!!!!!!

Bike Setup:   trek road bike

Submitted by Bob from Detroit

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Strengths:    Light & foldable

Bottom Line:
This thing is just what the doctor ordered during our frigid snowy Mich. winter. Had to adjust it all the way out for my bikes 43" wheelbase. Started out using it in a doorway but it didnt take too long before I was able to mount my bike without support. Fairly quiet with road tires. I did notice a little rubber residue on the floor but that was because I didnt have enough air pressure. I set it up near a tv and a radio to keep my mind occupied and a fan to keep cool as there is no wind without it. The only question I have now is, is it possible to go no handed?

Favorite Trail:   Novi Tree Farm

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Giant Hybrid Cypress

Submitted by Tylerman a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Strengths:    Great workout, low cost, the entire assembly is well made and rolls very smoothly.

Weaknesses:    Rubber end caps on front wheel assembly keep popping out

Bottom Line:
These things will kick your ass for an hour or however long you can spin! Well worth it, I still haven't mastered the art of getting up without leaning against something, but I get closer every time. However once up and spinning they will really show you exactly how important it is to move the pedals in a circle rather than just mash on the downstroke. Everything about my technique has gotten better riding these things.

A few small complaints, I noticed the first couple of times I rode these that they generated a significant amount of static electricity, and I kept shocking myself whenever I would touch my brake levers or anything metal. Mine have the PVC rollers, and I normally set them on carpet. I did notice afterwards that my tires were running at about 45psi, when I pumped them up to 70psi the static decreased significantly, so I think the softer tire allowed the wheel to get just close enough to the carpet to build up a charge (like wearing socks and scuffing your feet on the carpet to shock your kid sister).

The rubber end caps that separate the front wheel frame from the rear keep popping out, leaving the two frames to rub metal against metal.

They will wear down your front vs rear tires unevenly, and fairly quickly too. These have 3" drums, I have heard larger drums don't wear tires down as much.

As for noise, mine are a little loud but it is because I am running semi-slicks, if I had true baldies I can tell they would be a lot quieter, so that's not their fault.

Overall, they are definitely worth the money, not just for the exercise but also for how much they help you become a better rider. Since I am merely a weekend warrior, I cannot see what a $400 set of Kreitlers would give me that these do not.

Favorite Trail:   Ant Hills

Purchased At:   eBay!

Bike Setup:   Kona Blast, with semi-slicks

Submitted by Monkey Files a Weekend Warrior from Wallingford, CT

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, EASY SETUP, Foldable for easy storage.

Weaknesses:    No resistance avail.

Bottom Line:
For the money this thing is and icredible workout. If you Don't have the money to throw at Kreitler, Tacx or other "highend" rollers this is a must. I have not tried any other rollers so I can't compare. What I do know is that these were very easy to set up. They seem to roll very smoothly. They are a real challange to use if you never have. For those of you considering between rollers and trainers go with the rollers and don't look back. I never new how bad my pedal strke was until I got on these. These have really improved my balance out on the trail. Ride on!

Favorite Trail:   Tyler Mill

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Life cycle, Cycle-ops trainer!

Submitted by Joe Barron a cross-country rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: November 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was skeptical about buying these, since the only word that seems to come out of most people's mouths when you ask about rollers is Kreitler. No one could tell me anything about these, but I knew that the Kreitlers would be out of my range. After much agonizing over whether to get these or the Performance Technique rollers, I more or less flipped a coin and got these.First off, these are made by a Dutch cycling accessory company called Tacx. What Nashbar markets as their Deluxe Rollers are Tacx Model 1050. Going by numbers, it would appear that this is Tacx's mid level roller, but it LOOKS nicer than the Tacx 1200 on the Tacx website. Obviously, you can go to http://www.nashbar.com to check these rollers out, but you are better off going to http://www.tacx.nl/train/rolluk.html to get a much more detailed description.From the moment I unpacked them, I was shocked at how much higher the general crafstmanship of the product was than I expected. Well-greased cartridge bearings (look easily replaceable if necessary), and HEAVY lathe turned PVC drums. Apparently the thing many people don't like about budget rollers is the finite lifetime of the PVC drums. However, I suspect that these will last quite some time. They are much heavier and beefier than I expected.Assembly took about 5 minutes, and was very easy to accomplish with 1 wrench. Again, let me say that these are not junk. Everything fit together well, tolerances seemed close, and the whole assembly just generally seemed well engineered.Riding them was a bit of an experience at first, but I had never ridden rollers before. They do not squeal at all. (I am running baldies on the rollers.) There is some noise, but I wouldn't say that it is from poor craftsmanship. It's more just the inherent sound generated by the tires moving across the rollers. Overall, they are quite quiet, and I can watch TV while using them. However, I am not certain that another person in the room would be happy watching TV while I was using them. I have not yet tried it with my wife in the room.So far these rollers have exceeded my expectations, and as long as you aren't expecting a set of $400 Kretilers, I don't see how anyone could not be pleased with them.