Minoura RDA Inter-Rim Trainer

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

• magnetic system
  • may be used outside because it doesn't need any electric power source

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jedmondo a Cross Country Rider from Sparks, NV

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2010

Strengths:    It has been a great product for many years. It keeps me in decent shape during the winter months here.

Weaknesses:    It could use more resistance! I use it for intervals, 30 seconds all out, 1 1/2 minute rest, then 30 again. I do this for 20 minutes. You should ride so fast in the 30 seconds that you feel like you can't make it to 30 seconds.

Bottom Line:
    If you have had the belt break on your older inter rim trainer (poly belt with ribs), you can purchase a "Gates 7M410 Polylex belt". I just put it on. We'll see how it works, but seemed pretty good when I tested it tonight.

Favorite Trail:   Canoe Hill

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3+

Submitted by Aryn a Racer from HW

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Strengths:    Easy set up, didn't wear the rear tire, quiet.

Weaknesses:    The belt, pullies and internals wore down after two winters of heavy use. I put about a thousand miles a winter on it and now it squeaks when it is being used because the belt is slipping around the pullies....like the belt on a car engine when it squeaks. Got some good miles out of it but it seems to decrease in resistance over time and use.

Bottom Line:
    When I bought it I was a beginner rider. Seemed like a good deal and a good idea to not wear on the rear tire. The trainer has helped me become the rider I am today but I think I may have outgrown it. I would reccomend this trainer to some one new to the sport but a seasoned rider may not be happy with it.

I experienced wheel slippage as well under heavy acceleration and/or getting off the saddle and hammering. Again, in the beginning I didn't have these issues but once I developed as a rider I noticed it's flaws.

I'll give ti a double 4 flamers tho because for the price it did what I wanted it to.

Purchased At:   on-line

Similar Products Used:   Bought the 1050 flywheel for me and 850 for my wife. I am usinghers right now until I decide whether to rebuild mine or get something else.

Bike Setup:   Felt

Submitted by Fabian a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Not expensive. Works as good as expected.

Weaknesses:    If the bicycle is not properly mounted can be noisy (easily fixed by re mounting the bike).
    It cannot be used for slow cadence high resistance, but does good job for any other cadence/resistance combination (slow, medium, high).

Bottom Line:
    It gets 4-8 hours weekly. Has hold very well and it has really helped improving endurance when I am not able to hit the trail with enough frequency.
    There is no sight of issues in the rim or otherwise.
    It may not have enough resistance for professionals, but must have good enough resistance for any amateur (even the good ones).

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Scituate, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2006

Strengths:    Good price, reasonably smooth.

Weaknesses:    Not able to withstand years of heavy use.

Bottom Line:
    Trainer gets about 9 hours/week of use. During the first
    year parts of the magnetic resistance assembly started
    breaking off inside the cover and the unit eventually
    seized. I was able to disassemble it, clean it, and put
    it back together with a hose clamp to hold it together
    and it's been working OK since then. That was over a year
    ago.

The v-belt wore out after about 2.5 years (no surprise with
    heavy use) and finding a replacement was difficult. Branford Bike advertises replacements belts "for all Minoura rim drive trainers" so I ordered a belt from them bit it was too wide and the wrong size and wasn't even close to fitting. At first they wouldn't take the belt back but eventually did after I filed a complaint with the BBB and US Postal Inspection Service although I never got my return
    shipping fully refunded for what was entirely their mistake. Awful service. I finally got a belt directly from Minoura who seemed very happy to help out.

Purchased At:   RR Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Other traineres.

Submitted by Gerald Liew a Racer from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    It has a very sturdy construction and the setting up and adjustment is very intuitive. The fit is very firm and secure and the range of resistance provided by the different modes is just right.

Weaknesses:    What I dislike is that this product doesn't come with a front wheel platform so as to balance the elevation in the rear wheel when the bike is attached to the system. Another gripe is that my rim squeaks when attached to the system and I'm cycling. It could be just that my rim's oily and dirty, yet after I did a thorough clean-up the sound persisted.

Bottom Line:
    It's quite value for money, but the problems need to ironed out before I give it a higher rating. The resistance feels a little weeny but give yourself about ten minutes cycling with a little resistance only and you will still feel really shagged. I've yet to test if this really improves my fitness but I guess it will.

Purchased At:   Seng Chu Hin

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first.

Bike Setup:   2003 Scott Aspen, no changes except for SPDs

Submitted by Willy a Weekend Warrior from Nebraska

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, solid, simple.

Weaknesses:    Rim drive wheels sometimes slip a little under heavy load

Bottom Line:
    I bought this unit, but private-labeled from Bike Nashbar for 130 bucks, because I hate changing wheels all the time. While it doesn't have the strong resistance of a tire-drive model, it's fine as it is. If I really want to push hard, I'll go to a lake and climb a dam. I took off 1 chili for the light resistance, but everything else is great.

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn air-resistance Trackstand.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M800, Syncros XLT rims.

Submitted by MICHAEL BERRY a Cross Country Rider from BAY POINT, C A, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Strengths:    EASE OF ASSEMBLY, USABILITY, LOW SOUND

Weaknesses:    PRODUCT DID NOT COME WITH ALL COMPONENTS FROM MANUFACTURER, DIRECTIONS WERE DIFFICULT TO COMPREHEND

Bottom Line:
    I LIKE THE PRODUCT, BUT AM DISAPPOINTED WITH THE INCOMPLETE PACKAGING. PURCHASING THROUGH THE INTERNET MAY HAVE MAKE IT MORE POSSIBLE FOR PROBLEMS BUT THAT DOES NOT HOLD FOR LIKING THE PRODUCT. THE PRODUCT ITSELF IS A GREAT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT- IT DOES NOT WEAR ONTHE TIRES OF THE BIKE AND IS RELATIVELY QUIET. THE ONLY DOWN FALL I SEE IS THAT WITHOUT BOTH TENSIONERS, IT IS NOT EFFECTIVE AND PUTS UNBALANCED STRAIN ON THE WHEEL. MY SUGGESTIONTO THE COMPANY IS TO DEVISE A SYSTEM THAT DOES NTO NEED TWO SEPERATE TENSIONERS, BUT JUST ONE THAT ENGAGES BOTH SIDES OF THE WHEEL SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Favorite Trail:   IRON HORSE TRAIL