Minoura Action Mag Roller Trainer

• magnetic system
  • may be used outside because it doesn't need any electric power source

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by mat harris a Racer from granby,ma. usa

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2010

Strengths:    great value

Bottom Line:
    always support your local bike shop

Favorite Trail:   lizard king

Purchased At:   peak performance bik

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   its red

Submitted by Lothar Scheld a Racer from Penetang, Ontario, Candad

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2005

Strengths:    Great compact unit, easy set up, teaches smooth riding and bike handling technique.
    The Mag resister unit is a great add on for different training techniques.
    Great warranty service (5 years)

Weaknesses:    The plastic end caps of the rollers did crack after my second year of riding them (check for hairline cracks near the bearings) and ended up getting noisy. The end caps also ended up wearing out (the inside diameter fitting into the 4" Aluminum housing started to spin) and caused them to slip, adding noice during rides. I did get them replaced with no problems under warranty, but after another year, the same problem occured. I ended up getting metal ones made and actually glued these new end caps to the 4" Aluminum rollers with a 2 componend epoxy. Now they are super quiet and running really true at high speed.
    This problem could be due to the fact that I use these mostly (about 95%) in a high speed high cadence mode (50km average) without the resistance unit.
    Now I am in love with these all over again.

Bottom Line:
    If you want to get a smooth pedalling stroke, this is the unit to use, I have no comparison against another unit, but if you into a long term relastionship with your rollers, get something that will last. I personally do not like plastic in any high stress enviroment, it will eventually wear out. If you have some connections, get these end caps replaced by aluminum ones, it does improve this particular unit by a great margin and does give a superior quiet ride.

Favorite Trail:   Copeland Forest

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Joe Jackson a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, DE

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Strengths:    Great price, lightweight, folds to a very compact package. Magnetic resistance unit is a great accessory.

Weaknesses:    None so far, unless you can consider that the long belt flapping at higher speeds (20+ mph) is a weakness.

Bottom Line:
    If I had to buy another set of rollers or recommend a set to a friend, I'd recommend these over the much higher priced competition...unless I was a racer or much more serious rider who demanded the best quality. I can see room for improvement on these rollers in terms of quality but as they are, they suit me just fine. And in response to those who feel the magnetic unit doesn't vary at all, I have to disagree. I'm very pleased with the different settings and don't think I'd enjoy these rollers as much as I do without the resistance unit.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Valley Road (45 mph downhill)

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sequoia Sport (2003 model)

Submitted by Mike P. a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2003

Strengths:    Good resistance without mag unit, rollers are great training, points out flaws in your pedal stroke and develops a good spin, large diameter alum. rollers, sturdy

Weaknesses:    Wears tires badly, but all rollers will. Mag unit has too much resistance and there is no difference between settings.

Bottom Line:
    These are great mid-range rollers. Without the mag unit, you can get plenty of resistance by using high gears. The mag unit has A LOT of resistance, and there isn't really a difference between settings. I would like for it to be a bit lower. I usually end up doing intervals with the mag unit, then taking it off, then back on, etc. They have been durable and solid with no noises/problems at all in 6 months. If the mag unit were more variable, it would get a full 5.

Purchased At:   online somewhere??

Bike Setup:   '02 Lemond Buenos Aires/Ultegra

Submitted by Don Newman a Racer from Athens

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Folds small, Inexpensive, good training for balance and smooth pedalling

Weaknesses:    Some vibration

Bottom Line:
    There is some vibration while riding which I don't find objectionable. It certainly doesn't make the rollers too difficult to ride. The drums may not be as perfectly smooth and true as the Keitler's?

I find the rollers a great complement to a mag trainer for days when I don't need killer resistance. I'm forced to train indoors (2 or 3 days a week) because of family commitment and I'm quite happy with the Minoura product.

Purchased At:   Sunshine Cycles

Similar Products Used:   various wind and mag trainers

Bike Setup:   road bike for rollers

Submitted by Brick a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Good price..especially for Aluminum rollers. Comes with resistance unit. Rolls very smoothly

Weaknesses:    mag unit is not very variable. The lowest setting is not very different from the highest.**if you are a Clyde with an extra large frame..DO NOT BUY.. My frame is a large and it works on the longest wheelbase setting, anything bigger would not work with this unit***

Bottom Line:
    The other reviewer obviously did not like the product. I have had no problems with mine. It came unassembled, but all the parts were there. It took about 15 minutes to set up and about 30 minutes to get used to riding on a roller. The roller came with an instruction booklet to get you started riding. I use it a couple of times a week for 45 minutes or so. I get a good workout and the trainer folds up when i'm done.
    I've never ridden a $500+ trainer, but i feel the rollers and bearings are holding up well. I can release the rubber band and the rollers spin just as well as when they were new. I hope you have a positive experience if you choose these....Perfomancebikes.com was easy. I ordered online and the trainer arrived 5 days later, the billing was correct and it was exactly what i ordered.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mt.

Purchased At:   Performancebikes.com

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS1..street tires when using trainer.

Submitted by Eli from Asheville, NC (USA)

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2002

Strengths:    Highly compact, folds roughly 1/3rd in length.

Weaknesses:    Product shipped incompletely assembled (missing parts).
    Defective mag-drive unit, casing not moulded properly.
    Chintzy overall production quality, bearings loud.

Bottom Line:
    I purchased this a week after a horrible experience with a Minoura trainer. The trainer was defective in several ways (see my review of it), and sent it back after having an unsatisfactory discussion with Minoura's head of warranty. This unit was purchased from my LBS so as to alleviate any stresses of having to argue with anyone on the phone about what, if anything went wrong. Glad I did.

Firstly, the unit shipped without the drive belt for the magnetic resistance unit. Nowhere to be found. LBS helped primo, great guys (Liberty Bikes, Asheville).

After receiving my belt a week later I went to attach the mag unit, only to find that the casing was a piece of crap. It had apparently not been allowed to sit in the mould long enough for the plastic to set, and was warped. Did not fit. Again, LBS was great!

After receiving a new mag unit and assembling the set, I find that the bearings are growling and that the drums aren't all that well aligned. The caps aren't parallel and the unit shimmies a good bit. I'm not going to complain about that as all 3 do it and I'm sure any replacement would be just as bad.

NUTSHELL: Second try at a modestly-priced Minoura unit, failed miserably in all accounts. Don't try to save yourself $100 by going with the Japanese knockoff of better european units. This is NOT a Honda or Nissan, it's a, um, there is no Japanese car this bad sorry.

I'm stretching this rating in case someone else has luck.
    3 value, in case it ever comes functional.
    1 overall, horrible track record of quality and service.

Purchased At:   Liberty Bikes (LBS)