Kurt Kinetic Kinetic Trainer Trainer

4.56/5 (55 Reviews)

- Super quiet ride - watch TV, videos, or play the stereo at normal levels. - Patented, sealed (leak proof) fluid resistance unit for silky smooth ride. - Speed sensitive resistance unit automatically adjusts the difficulty level. - Resistance levels from 20 watts (5 MPH) to 2,500 watts (50 MPH). - Easy bike attachment / removal with the Quick Release Level Lock. - Trainer folds in half for easy transport and off season storage. - Industrial quality frame with lifetime warranty. - Precision made in the U.S.A. - Patented Small Wheel Adapter enables use of bikes with wheels from 16" O.D.. - The first recumbent friendly fluid resistance trainer. - The first BMX friendly fluid resistance trainer.

Submitted by cburke a Cross Country Rider from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy, smooth power curve

Weaknesses:    Needs higher resistance, 29er knobbies don't fit

Bottom Line:
Although I liked the trainer, the frame is too small and doesn't allow 29" knobbies to turn freely. It worked fine with cx tires, but the exra diameter of the mtb tires didnt't clear. Fine if you are using a road, cx or 26" mtb.

Favorite Trail:   Nothing local

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   1up

Bike Setup:   mOOtO-x

Submitted by MultiRider a Racer from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Quality construction, quiet, rock and roll for pedaling out of the saddle

Weaknesses:    Hard to transport to the races for warmups due to rock and roll legs sticking out

Bottom Line:
Fantastic product! Solid, smooth, quiet. The rock and roll feature makes a world of difference if you are actually looking for a ride that simulates outdoors. Particularly standing. Try a rock and roll and you probably won't be able to purchase any rigid trainer. The rock and roll does not help you with balance as another review expected, it simply gives you a more realistic bike motion when training. I wear size 13 / 48 shoes and don't hit the trainer like the guy with the size 14s, but my feet come really close. And, as someone else said, I had to invest in some DVDs. I have some Spinervals and some Real Ride with Robbie Ventura (Speed, Force, etc). The Real Ride videos are great -- like a video game because you're looking at the road and other riders. Much easier on the eyes than Coach Troy yelling at poor sweating riders on trainers like the Spinerval DVDs. Anyway, great trainer, particularly if you do power-based intervals. The KK power module is okay, but the display is kind of jumpy and you can't download to a PC. I use an iBike and it makes my workouts vastly better.

Favorite Trail:   rocks

Purchased At:   shop

Similar Products Used:   CycleOps, others

Bike Setup:   irrelevent

Submitted by amysue135 a Cross Country Rider from Plains, PA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Durability, craftsmanship, smooth pedal stroke, quiet, stability

Weaknesses:    um.. none

Bottom Line:
Freakin' awesome!

I have the "Rock-n-Roll" trainer and I would highly recommend to anyone! The side to side sway gives it a real feel when pedaling, and I also bought the turntable riser for the front wheel for a little bit more of a real feel.

If you are into cycling, you will love this! Its strong, quiet and fun to ride. Plus, mine came with a free Spinervals DVD with a few different workouts on it.

After buying a kinteic trainer, you will know what quality and value really is!

Favorite Trail:   technical singletrack anywhere

Similar Products Used:   cycleops fluid

Bike Setup:   Jamis Ventura

Submitted by ed a Cross Country Rider from vaughan, on

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Bottom Line:
Jeez I was just scrolling this page reading & somehow unintentionally gave it the worst rating of 1... so I guess I have to write a review now. I give it a 5 of 5.
Before buying this unit I tried the Cyclops Fluid 2 & find the Road Machine does feel like you're riding on the road where as the Cyclops feels like a trainer.
I was debating between the Road Machine & the Pro for the extra coast down / endurance aspect, but after using the Road Machine I think it'd be over kill as this unit really does the job.
A nice surprise was a spinerval video in the box, but not really my thing.
I also put a Tacx Trainer tire on the rear.
The unit is not noisy but is not quiet either, initially the room was shaking but when I moved the unit to another spot the vibes were gone.
This Road Machine has exceeded my expectations.

Similar Products Used:   Cyclops Fluid 2

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.1FX Hybrid

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from underhill ctr

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2008

Strengths:    [this is for the kinetic pro: 2007 bright green w/6 lbs flywheel] easy set up and take down, ez-pz assembly, well built i believe right here in th good ol' US of a, relatively quiet. it works like it was advertised; get on bike, pedal, makes me sweat and breathe hard

Weaknesses:    none so far as i can tell except...i use my older mtn bike with 44/34/24 and 11-22 gearing. when i stand up the unit does not provide enough resistance. if you were to use road bike w 50+ teeth on chainring, you would get enough. anyways sitting and pushing my 44/11 @115rpm for 90 sec intervals keeps me puffing

Bottom Line:
life time no matter what kind of warranty even against stupid human tricks...which i've been known to do. machine is simple, few moving parts to break, it has improved my riding endurance over the last 4 months during this winter, i'm 10 lbs lighter than i was. IF you want a capable no frills machine to keep you bike fit and in shape and hit the trails/mtn/road ready to go, get it. not quite the same as on the road or trail but for $285 it will get you there

Favorite Trail:   the one i'm riding

Purchased At:   gotta ride bikes

Similar Products Used:   none, this is my first home trainer

Bike Setup:   wheels...seat...brakes...yup, its set up

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Northern Utah

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to set up. Sturdy. Fairly Quiet. Provides for a good indoor workout.

Weaknesses:    The "rock n roll" is too stiff to really help you improve balance as advertised.

Bottom Line:
This is another review of the "Rock n Roll" Pro unit. As far as a trainer goes I think it is an excellent machine. I can get a great workout with it. I am sweating in about 5 to 10 minutes. Plenty of resistance. Fairly quiet. Sturdy and very well built.

But as for the "rock n roll" action to help you improve balance is a bit misleading in my opinion. It does allow for some side to side motion but in my opinion it is way too tight. I personally feel as though I get no balancing training or benefit from this unit whatsoever. But that is my only complaint. Oh and I guess that I paid extra for the rock n roll motion.

This is a very good unit. I think it should be priced the same as the regular trainer though as it really does not provide any extra benefits. If I would have been able to demo units I am sure I would have purchased the Pro Trainer instead and saved approximately $150.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche Expert.

Submitted by dave zwart a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2006

Strengths:    This is actually a review of the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer. The unit was surprisingly sturdy and didn't sway uncontrollably as I expected. It was quiet. Setup was easy.

Weaknesses:    My wife bought it for me for Christmas. The pins mounting for the support arms were difficult to install as the holes were drilled too small. I had to bust out the hammer to drive them in. I had to use a drift to persuade them out so it won't disassemble easily. I tried to use it and found that my heels smack the mounting system. I wear a size 14 US shoe and the "quick release" lever on the trainer was strategically placed such that I couldn't miss it. If it was flipped to the other side it might have had clearance. Granted, there probably aren't alot of people who will have this problem - but it still stinks!! We sent it back to the store for a refund. We're out shipping costs there and back.

Bottom Line:
I can't use it because my feet are too big. I couldn't find any shops that carry it so I had no chance to try it. If you have smaller feet, a fairly large area to use it, you'll like it. Not easy to move around due to it's size and weight. I wish it would have worked out for me. I'll rate this as "good" because it's a nice product - just not for us out of the 95 percentile in body size.

Purchased At:   Brand's Bike Shop New York

Bike Setup:   I tried all my bikes - I can't use it!!

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2006

Strengths:    This a great trainer for the money. Quiet, smooth, and about as good as it gets for a realistic feel with a trainer under $300. I particularly like the wide leg stance which adds stability for those intense sessions and the adjustable legs get the bike down to a more natural position without the need for a front wheel riser block. The big 2 1/8 roller wheel is easier on tires but don't be putting on your expensive skins. All trainers are hard on tires. This one is just less so than the rest and a lot less than some. Probably the biggy with this trainer is it's lifetime warranty. All sealed construction combined with a 'leak free' gaurantee was a big part of my decision to purchase this particular trainer.

Weaknesses:    I'd like to see some kind of rubberized coating on the cone cups that slip over the skewer. It'd be gentler on the skewer and where it seats up to the frame however I may be nit picking a bit here. I ended up pulling my own skewer out and replacing it with the cheapie supplied with the unit.

Bottom Line:
For about $300, a great trainer for the serious rider looking to maintain or improve thier fitness level in the off season. That said be ready to invest a few more dollars for some training videos if your sessions are mostly done training alone. The hard truth is trainers are the ultimate time machine. Fifteen minutes can seem like an hour and if you don't have something to motivate you the novelty will wear off and the workouts will diminish. TV or music will only help to pass the time.. not ramp up the level of your training. Training videos can maintain or even improve your fitness level. I invested in a few Spinervals DVDs and it's made all the difference. At around $30 a dvd these videos are not cheap but they DO motivate.

Bottom line.. A great trainer but be prepared to spend some more dollars on training videos to make it really worth the money.

Similar Products Used:   Some cheap magnetic trainers which were inferior to the feel and construction of this unit. The CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer that felt great but stories of fluid leaks made me hesitant with this unit.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by Ed Stock a Weekend Warrior from Anchorage, AK, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2006

Strengths:    This is an incredibly smooth trainer, with minimal noise. It's stable when you stand on the pedals and the resistance does seem pretty realistically tied to the increase in speed. The warranty is as good as it gets, although I hope I never have to take advantage of it. I think I saw a posted review on this or some other site that said the resistance unit had only a five-year warranty, but I verified with the company that currently (October 2006) every part of the trainer is covered for the original buyer's lifetime. That'd be pretty amazing, if the company is still around when I'm 70. I'm counting on the "no leak" guarantee to be reliable, because I've got the bike set up in my spare bedroom and I really don't want to have to try to get fluid stains out of the carpet...
It feels like everything in this trainer is made of durable materials. It really is simple to set up and adjust, and it comes with a pretty straightforward set of instructions.

Weaknesses:    I really don't see any weeknesses with it, although it would be great if there was such a thing as a truly silent trainer. I suppose if I wanted absolutely maximum quiet I'd just buy a high-end dedicated exercise bike like they have at good gyms, but then I'd have to find someplace to store it in the spring and summer. The price on this product - as well as most of the decent trainers - seems a little high, but when I looked at some of the ones selling for $100 less I realized that maybe there's a jump in quality with the increase in price.

Bottom Line:
We get a lot of ice that sticks around for the entire winter on the roads and sidewalks, and I just don't trust studded bike tires enough to ride outdoors between November and April. A lot of people who are fair weather cyclists tend to just put the bike in the garage and call it a year when the first frost hits in September.
In other winters I've gone to the gym and used the exercise bikes, but this winter I didn't feel like spending the time it takes to drive to the gym, wait for a bike during peak times, etc. I've started using the Kinetic about 3 nights a week, since we still have dry pavement (no snow yet). Once the snow comes, though, I'll probably be training on it four or five times a week, because I'm trying to increase my cardio and leg strength for some long distance backcountry snowshoeing this winter. Although the trainer makes a little bit of rumble/hum when I really get going, my upstairs neighbor in the condo where I live hasn't mentioned the sound transmitting into her unit. I listen to music with headphones, but I think I'd be able to listen to music or watch TV at normal volume without them. All in all, I'm really happy I bought this trainer. Maybe there are others out there that are as good as this - or better - at the same price, but I don't care too much about that since this one does everything I could ask of it, seems to be made as solid as a tank, and has a great warranty behind it. I should probably mention that I bought it at REI instead of a local bike shop for one reason: even if the manufacturer doesn't want to back the warranty up, REI has a no-questions-asked return policy, even 2 or 3 years after you buy something. As I said, I hope I never have to find out how good the warranty is.

Favorite Trail:   Resurrection Pass

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   I tried out one of the Minoura magnetic trainers as well as a CycleOps Fluid 2 at a bike store. The magnetic trainer seemed to have a strange feel to it, and I wasn't really crazy about the variable resistance attachment. The CycleOps felt great, but I've read enough reviews to think that I'd rather not risk the fluid leaks. I really would have loved to try a 1upUSA trainer, but they don't sell in retail stores and they also don't offer free shipping to Alaska (we get that from every store in the lower 48 - no free shipping to AK or Hawaii). The stores here in town are all staffed by biking enthusiasts who have tried a number of brands of trainers, and the Kinetic was the one that was recommended by a staff person in each of the three stores where I shopped. (One person told me that if money was no object he'd go to the high end CycleOps model, but below $300 the consensus was that the Kurt Kinetic was the choice.)

Bike Setup:   A kind of cheap Specialized lightweight frame with street tires and virtually nothing aftermarket.

Submitted by Tony O'Neill from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2006

Strengths:    Road Machine is Sturdy, solid and wellbuild

Weaknesses:    it is not single track

Bottom Line:
Midwest anti-depressant! Easy set up and ready to get going. Put a slick on your rear and you will keep your hearing.

The ride is amazingly similiar to you true gear ratios eliminating the need for a remote control of the tension. It is like SPV technology it senses and reacts to the the cadence and gear ratios.

If you are like me and hate losing 4 months of consistent riding this is your answer too. I am already feeling better and have only ridden a handful of times!

Good job Kurt!

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge, Story IN/Black Mountain NC

Purchased At:   Circle City Cyling

Similar Products Used:   Cyclops and Minoura

Bike Setup:   Blur XC/Fisher Hardtail

Submitted by Cristof a Cross Country Rider from Los Angles

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    -Well built...an understatement.
-ordered the road machine, bigger flywheel
-very comparable to riding on the road.

Weaknesses:    -did not come with front wheel riser, but easily remedied by buying one for $15, easier on arms.
-noisier than I thought, but still can watch TV, no problem

Bottom Line:
This trainer has been fantastic--no regrets.
Highly recommend it for someone trying to fill in the gaps between actual outings. Resistance prgressive using your own bike gears. Using it with my old road bike.

Purchased At:   From Website

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Melrose, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2004

Strengths:    - Easy to Setup
- Stable
- Solid road feel
- No issues riding out of the saddle

Weaknesses:    - It is possible to strip the tightening-knob threads when adjusting the tension against the rear wheel.

Bottom Line:
We were looking for a way to train / ride consistently during the winter, in an attempt to be ready to hit the ground running come spring. Bought the KK Road Trainer after reading about it on many web sites including this one and the KK web site. I am delighted by the machine and it's ease-of-use. My fiancée saw it and decided that she needed one as well but she wanted something a little different so that we could both train indoors this winter. Hence the COF2. I managed to strip the threads on the tightening knob on my KK road trainer after about 2 weeks of use. Called Kurt Kinetic and they shipped a replacement part, no questions asked. We have been training 4-5 days per week now and I have lost 10 lbs of my winter insulation. Excellent side effect. The customer service reps at Kurt Kinetic are very pleasant to deal with. The road trainer is the best trainer that I have ever used. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is serious about their indoor riding. I'm convinced that you get your money's worth with this one.

Purchased At:   Analytic Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Cycle Ops Fluid 2 (hers)

Bike Setup:   mine - Bianchi mtn
hers - REI hybrid

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from Calgary Alberta

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Strengths:    Very Stable, great roadlike feel, consistent tension

Weaknesses:    Not as quiet as the Fluid2, tension knob not as positive as Fluid2, Canadian distributor plays dirty pool

Bottom Line:
I have posted earlier with my 1upUSA experience--they do have great customer service and did fully refund purchase price and freight.

I have been through two Fluid2 units: both of then got harder to pedal after 20 minutes of hard use. I have heard for other bike shops that is a common fault with them.

The Kurt road machine has been great so far. It makes more noise than the Fluid2, but has no issues with tension increase when it heats up. It is the most stable of the four units I have used.

I read some reports that this unit included a training video\DVD--mine did not.

I was about to buy this unit from www.lifestylesport.com and asked our Canadian distributor Vellend Tech why lifstylesport sold the same unit for $190 less. Their response was to get Kurt to stop lifestylesport from shipping to Canada.

I give a 1 for the value for the extra $190 I had to pay because I couldn't buy it from the US.

A great product for those who can pay fair market price!

Favorite Trail:   Powderface trail

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   1upUSA, Cyclops Fluid2, Tacx Flow

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Rail

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Maine

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2004

Strengths:    Industrial grade construction

Bottom Line:
This is the first home use trainer I've tried/owned. IMHO they aren't built any better than this. Easily locks the bike in with enormous threaded rods on both sides for centering. Quick release of bike for those who use bike for actual riding too. Smooth and quiet. Resistance is "acceptable". That is, I don't ride enuff asphalt to know what a trainer should feel like, hey, this really ain't about realism, it's about pain.

I did a trememdous amount of research and almost bought cheaper, but you truly get what you pay for and I'd rather be happy with my $300 purchase than doubtful of my $200 purchase. In simple terms, this is the heaviest home trainer made, that says something about the content. If you value quality merchandise, you will be happy with the Kurt. Buy one and be happy.

Favorite Trail:   technical singletrack