Kreitler Poly Lyte Trainer

There's a general rule of thumb to adhere to when considering your first set of rollers -- the smaller the diameter of the drums, the greater the resistance. Kreitler's Challenger 3.0 Rollers have 3" drums so you'll be hard pressed to spin-out during a tough workout. In fact, you may not spend too much time in your biggest gear, save for intervals and the ever-difficult sprint workout. The Challenger 3.0 Rollers vary from the Alloy 3.0 in that you get plastic end caps instead of alloy ones. In our experience, the difference is imperceptible. We know riders who've done their winter workouts on the same set of ancient, full-poly Challenger rollers for nearly 30 years. So durability is not an issue with Kreitler's poly end caps. One other important difference is that the Challenger drums are not compatible with the Killer Headwind fan. All Kreitler Rollers have a lifetime warranty.

Submitted by Jason a Racer from East Peoria, IL

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2006

Strengths:    CUSTOMER SERVICE, durability

Weaknesses:    That's crazy talk

Bottom Line:
This review is to praise Kreitler's customer service. After two years they just replaced all 3 drums, no questions asked. It was effortless. I paid for a new band, the things are like new. 3 new drums just like that. I wish all my customer service experinces went this way. The product itself is worth a 5 chili rating based on quality and durability, but when teamed up with a company who backs their product like this makes it a purchase not to be regetted.

Purchased At:   Bellevue Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Cy-clops trainer

Bike Setup:   Dosen't matter

Submitted by Eric from Lodi, CA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2005

Strengths:    Very easy setup - 10 minutes from out of box to riding. Much more enjoyable than rim trainers. Really focuses your balance. Perfect for people who can't get to a trail during the week.

Weaknesses:    Pretty noisy with knobbies.

Bottom Line:
It took me two 20 minute sessions to get the balance down. Only ran off the side twice, but since I put them next to a treadmill it was easy to catch myself. Middle ring on these is like the hardest gear on the rim trainer. My only complaint is that I can't ride with one hand and reach for the TV remote yet (maybe after more time on them). Very pleased with this product.

Favorite Trail:   any at Bogg's Mountain

Purchased At:   performance.com

Similar Products Used:   Minoura rim trainer

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 2 with slicks (for rollers only - Yeti 575 for real riding)

Submitted by Jonesy Boy a Cross Country Rider from Granite Bay, CA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Strengths:    Well constructed, rigid, smooth

Weaknesses:    Me, I don't ride them enough!

Bottom Line:
I think anyone considering training indoors should consider the Kreitler line of rollers. I actually own the DynoLites, since the Poly Lytes weren't available when I bought mine almost 4 years ago. They're well made and when I dust them off, they still work like the day I bought them.

Would I buy them again? Nope.

It's just really boring exercise. You're basically isolated from everyone/everything for your workout. Your bike sounds like a huge wind machine so you can't do this anywhere where other people are. (Before you say, get a quiet bike Jonesy Boy, let me assure you I have a very quiet bike!) You can't do this while watching TV (or listening to your stereo) late at night either, in most cases, because you have to crank the volume way up. So, everyone can hear you (unless you have really good sound separation between rooms in your house).

If you're dedicated to some fitness goals or competition, be realistic about how much indoor training you want to do. Believe me, a four mile run in the rain is more fun than training indoors.

If you do buy them, good luck!!! I hope you have a better indoor training experience than I did.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Sweetwater, Kennedy

Purchased At:   Don't Remember

Similar Products Used:   other trainers

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, Ultegra

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Watertown,MA,USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2001

Strengths:    Very well made. Gives you a good workout with some fun rolled in. No pun intented.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought these so I could get prepared for the warmer weather which is starting to arrive. They are extremely well built, fun to ride on, and provide a good workout. I wont go into details only to say that the praise these rollers recieve is well deserved. Its a bit intimidating at first to ride them, but it quickly becomes easy.

Purchased At:   Licktons

Bike Setup:   Slicks for riding on the rollers until the trails are thawed.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Cupertino, CA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2000

Strengths:    Work out flexability in all weather conditions

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
First things first, rollers are the best indoor training tool a biker can buy for the following reasons: 1. Rollers allow a biker to ride his bike as he would ride normally. i.e. you must balance and pull a smooth cadence while riding on rollers as opposed to a trainer or stationary bike. 2. Balancing becomes a real art while on rollers. you have to feel this to understand it, but after riding rollers and then putting the rubber on the road, you feel as if you can do anything on the road as it is so much more stable. 3. The drag is constant. In other words you must continue to peddle just like going up a slight grade. If you stop you will not coast for long. Therefore, the workout is a full workout for how ever long you are on the rollers, no coasting and no downhill. This is a real kick for endurance. Though body parts tend to go numb after a while. I have had some problems with hands and feet.

Now why are Kreitlers better than others. all parts are warranted for life, even the poly caps. The Poly-Lyte is also cheaper than the machined aluminum caps on the Dyno-Lyte. Set up was a snap. From opening the cartons to my first workout was only about 15 minutes. The Poly-Lyte has a small degree of resistance due to the diameter of the rollers them selves. It is about like riding a 2-3 degree uphill grade. Again this helps for the long haul in the endurance category. Bike size adjustment is easy enough that my wife has no problem setting it up for her bike on her own. The front roller slides easily forth and back and then locks into place with 2 holding pins. Adjustment is much easier than setting up a stationary trainer.

I really recommend this roller for anyone who is serious about keeping in good biking shape, but is limited on time or lives where the weather is bad enough that you can't ride regularly.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch

Similar Products Used:   Stationary trainers and bikes

Bike Setup:   Rock Lobster CX bike with XT/Ultegra gruppo

Submitted by Mike AKA: "Mad Dog" a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2000

Strengths:    quality A+
Al is the "man!"
great training vehicle; no the best! end of story

Weaknesses:    PRICE $300, BUT WELL WORTH IT!!

Bottom Line:
I bought this product thanks to all of you fellow riders who use Kreitler Rollers. I believe the Poly-Lyte is the product all riders should use out of his lineup. Why? 1. the Challengers are to easy to just spin like crazy on thus you will have to spend close to $200 to add resistance 2. the Dyno-myte and Poly-myte models are to hardcore for the average day Joe unless your name is Lance Armstrong, Tinker Juarez, Cadel Evans, etc.. 3. that leaves the poly-lyte or dyno-lyte models and I went with the poly-lyte model because I saved about a $100 bucks going with plastic end caps instead of metal ones. Al Kreitler assured me that the Poly-lytes still carry a full lifetime guarantee so as long as the company is in business I have nothing to worry about. I may purchase a spare drive built just in case I ever break one or they suddenly become hard to purchase. Now on to the test. Why rollers? I decided on rollers because it provides the most natural biking experience when going outside is not an option. I don't like to road bike very much because the people in my city drive like crap thus my Trek 1500 had been put in the attic for several years. Since I race xc mtbs. it seemed logical that to get better I needed to train more, but the problem was that like many of you I work full time. When I come home late and tired from work, the last thing I want to do is go outside and ride my road bike in the dark. 1. It would be suicide 2. It is too dangerous around my city anyway Once I bought this product it took a few minutes to install and figure out. I would say installation for a roller virgin like myself at the time would be 30 minutes to an hour because the directions were so so. When you first learn to ride these rollers like I did, watch out. I used a wall and a tall counter top to lean my weight against as I attempted to stay on the rollers. It was humorous because a few times I was headed straight for a window! It is very much like trying to learn to ride without training wheels. Finally, after a couple of hours I was pretty confident on the rollers. They are awesome! One drawback is that they wear the hell out of your tires so buy cheap ones. Do yourself a favor and go buy this product because it is the best. I hope this product will help me win some races this year or atleast finish in the top ten a lot.